Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-06-2009, 12:16 PM   #1

King-Dome Antenna

Hi friends, I recently purchased a '96 Fleetwood Discovery, with a KingDome. I want to get satellite service, but not sure which is best -- Dish or Direct. Can you help me with the decision?

1) I do not have the manual/or model # for the antenna, where is the model # located?
2) Do they both offer HD?
3) I travel fulltime, what service will be better?
4) I will be going to Alaska and Mexico, is reception available?

Thanks in advance for all information and advice !!
time2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-06-2009, 12:29 PM   #2

None of the dome antennas are able to receive HD from DirecTV as they have moved all the HD channels to the KA band. Domed antennas are only able to receive CU bamd You might be able to get all channels with Dish Network if the dome can received the 129 and 64.5 (some are upgradable) satellites. With dish Network you need to be able to receive 110, 119 and 129 (western US) or 110,119 and 64.5 (eastern US).

The dome won't work much past the US/Canada border heading to Alaska. I don't know about Mexico.
Old 11-07-2009, 07:10 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to mrschwarz
If you go to their web site, you can download a manual for your antenna.

www.kingcontrols.com
Old 11-07-2009, 07:56 AM   #4

Since your '96 would not originally had HDTV's, unless you or the previous owner has done a major upgrade you won't have a need for HD from anyone. If you do have HD TV's you are likely going to need 2 receivers (one at each TV) to get full HD at each TV. If that's OK and you want to proceed with HD then Dish Network would be your only choice with a dome antenna. If you want better performance from your satellite TV service then you can replace the dome with one of the open face antennas from MotoSAT or Winegard and then you could get the HD service from either provider. The disadvantage to a dome and the Dish Network service is that the DN programming come from 2 separate satellites and the dome can only see one satellite at a time. That means there will be a delay when you want to change channels while the dome moves to the new satellite and if you do use 2 receivers the second receiver cannot be watching programming on a different satellite than what the first receiver has selected.
If you do not want/need the HD service then I would recommend that you go with DirecTV. Their programming all comes from one satellite and life with a dome is good (until it rains)!
Bill Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 07:57 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by time2b View Post
Hi friends, I recently purchased a '96 Fleetwood Discovery, with a KingDome. I want to get satellite service, but not sure which is best -- Dish or Direct. Can you help me with the decision?

1) I do not have the manual/or model # for the antenna, where is the model # located?
2) Do they both offer HD?
3) I travel fulltime, what service will be better?
4) I will be going to Alaska and Mexico, is reception available?

Thanks in advance for all information and advice !!
I have a KVH dome antenna and originally had Dish Network but on arrival to pick up my MH the tech was still working on trying to get the Sattelite in with the dish network unit. He finally got it working but if I selected a channel that was on Sat #119 and then wanted to change to a channel that was on #110 it would have to re-align meaning that I had to leave the antenna on so that it could search. The tech recommended Direct TV because it uses 1 sat, so I switched to Direct and it worked great.
Old 11-07-2009, 08:17 AM   #6

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have had DISH network since Dec 1997 and love it!

On Craig's list I bought a used (looks great) DISH 500 for $20 and a satellite tripod for $10. I take one of the receivers from my house.

If I'm w/in 50 miles from home, I get local, otherwise I lose the Big 3, but get other local stations in Denver, LA & NY City. Works for me.

DISH does use a two prong system, to get both Satellites, so if you have a one prong one, you will miss half your programing.

But for $30 I have the exact set up that I have at home.

Sheila
PNWGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 10:17 AM   #7

Thanks for the replies!

All the information is greatly appreciated. The reason for requests was I was considering upgrading the interior. However, since I have not gotten a HDTV yet, I might just go with Direct or upgrade my antenna.
So, if I upgrade the antenna with a booster, is there any other options I can do to enhance reception?
I'm not a 'big' TV viewer, just like news, discovery and sports.... You might say when we're out on the road there are always great people to meet like you, explore the things we've always wanted to do.

Thanks again for the info.!
Dave
time2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 02:45 PM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Dave, you can boost your antenna, but if you do not have HDTV in the coach, you are going to have to install a converter in order to receive HD digital signal from it.

I have had Directv in the motorhome for several years, and like Bill Adams says, it works great, till it rains.
Can,t comment on Alaska or Mexico reception, never had the coach to either one.

Dieselclacker
dieselclacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 10:38 PM   #9

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselclacker View Post
I have had Directv in the motorhome for several years, and like Bill Adams says, it works great, till it rains.
Dieselclacker
I wonder if that is a DirectTV thing as the only time, in twelve years- with DISH- that I ever lost reception was during a snow storm. I went out, brushed the snow off the dish and was good as new.

Never lost reception any other time and I live in the PNW. You can go a whole month and never see the sun or a day without rain.

Sheila
PNWGirl is offline   Reply With Quote