Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-25-2005, 01:59 PM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
We recently installed a 9702-LP and it worked great until it rained. Picture conked out. Tech at KDome said it is called rain fade and when droplets collect on the plactic cover and the signal drops to under 45, the picture will conk out.

They, coincidentally, just came out with a new product to combat this problem. It is called "Dome Magic" which will restore surface tension to the dome and ward off the droplets. $29.95 a bottle which allegedly will last 6 to 12 months.

Tech said "Rain-X" will not work well on the dome as it is made for glass.

Anyone else experienced "rain fade" and what was the solution, if any?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-25-2005, 01:59 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
We recently installed a 9702-LP and it worked great until it rained. Picture conked out. Tech at KDome said it is called rain fade and when droplets collect on the plactic cover and the signal drops to under 45, the picture will conk out.

They, coincidentally, just came out with a new product to combat this problem. It is called "Dome Magic" which will restore surface tension to the dome and ward off the droplets. $29.95 a bottle which allegedly will last 6 to 12 months.

Tech said "Rain-X" will not work well on the dome as it is made for glass.

Anyone else experienced "rain fade" and what was the solution, if any?
Old 04-25-2005, 03:24 PM   #3
PDB

About once a month I put RainX on my dome. It works great. Using RainX was a recommendation from the manufacturer Tech Support. I suspect the Sales dept would recommend you buy something else from them.

2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Ltd
PDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 06:16 AM   #4

Actually a little dish detergent applied in a thin coat and allowed to dry will solve the problem, you will need to re do it after every rain.
Old 05-03-2005, 07:11 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I would think Protect-All or anything that would make the dome shed water would help. I have not used my King Dome enough to experience this problem.
Old 05-03-2005, 06:41 PM   #6

I'm on my third coach with a dome dish, and have never needed anything. We give our Rvs plenty of use, and even in the hard rains that we habitually get in Florida, the service in the MH is no worse than what we experiance at home.If I had any major problems with outages, I would try Rain-X, or anything that would last for a while. I certainly wouldn't be climbing up on the roof to apply something every couple of times that it rained - that would get old real quick!

2005 Revolution LE 40E
Steve Val is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 09:36 AM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I get the signal fade in the morning and during slow drizzling rain.

I used protect-all without success.

Checking the label on Rainx,rainxfog, etc, says not for use on plastics. Don't know what it will do, but not willing to take the chance.

If, that's IF the new King Dome would work and last for any length of time, would be willing to try it and use it.

Until then, Dvd's work without using the Dome.
SideRoads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 07:59 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
We have severe "rain fade" signal loss from our King Dome. We had a Movin-Vu dome by Winegard on our recently traded MH where rain fade was rare. With the KingDome if it's raining, or foggy, or dewey...we're watching a DVD! We are ordering a bottle of the Dome-Magic cause we're out of new DVDs and tomorrows forecast is for rain. Matter of fact I belive the picture dropped a few pixels just broadcasting the rainy forcast...!

2005 Monaco Diplomat 40 PDQ
InflatableBoats4Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 09:31 AM   #9
Administrator Emeritus

Glad you had no issues with respect to your Movin'-View from Wineguard as I needed tech support from them when my old MovinView gave out on the old coach several years ago and they denied there was an issue....
Once I got rid of the POS and got something I could depend on,I learned they had issued a bulletin...
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 04:01 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

I have no idea if this product works, but here is another "rain fade" reducer:
King's Rain Shield
I think they also produce the Dome Magic product.
Dome Magic
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 08:38 AM   #11

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Scooter:
We recently installed a 9702-LP and it worked great until it rained. Picture conked out. Tech at KDome said it is called rain fade and when droplets collect on the plactic cover and the signal drops to under 45, the picture will conk out.{Quote}

We also get interference and squigglies when rain is heavy on our King Dome....We were told never to use Rain-X as our dome is painted..
We saw in Oct FMCA magazine on Page 56 Satellite Dome Wipes...sounds like the answer.. and states treatment will last 6 to 8 months..
We are preparing to travel,so wonder where one of these products can be purchased without ordering....

3778 W24
paulmarg is offline   Reply With Quote