Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-07-2008, 02:24 PM   #1

The other half of my trip to the carpenters shop was to remodel the drawers that hold the kitchen utensils on the right side of the sink. While conviently placed, they were not designed well. The first thing the DW noticed when we walked in the rig the first time was that there was no handle on the top drawer blank. At the time I assumed that there was an obstruction behind the blank so there was no drawer. Even so they should have put a handle on it. Within a few weeks I has ordered one from Winnie. It sat in a drawer for over a year! But adding the handle greatly improved the look of the set of drawers.

Later, a buddy and I were poking around the cabinets and discovered a huge amount of wasted space behind the drawer bank. Not only would a top drawer fit, by removing the plywood backing that Winnie had fabbed into the cabinet, we were able to increase the depth of the drawer from 10" deep to 20" deep! I am assuming too that Winnie did not put in the top drawer because it was not as deep as the other drawers. Here is what the wife found to do with her new "skinny" drawer.

The drawer is about 3" deep and holds her knife block perfectly.

To gain the maxium benefit from the new drawers, we built an angle on the back of the drawer to accomidate a cabinet brace in the back of the cabinet. The right side of the drawer is 17" deep, and the left corner is 20" deep. The extra space was HUGE for the DW storing her kitchen goods.

I am assuming that is why Winnie chopped the drawers off so short to start with. Make it easy and quick and move on.

Before most of these kitchen gadgets wouldn't even fit in the drawer, let alone all the extra stuff that she needs.

As a finish to the drawer project, this is was a skinny 6" wide cabinet that is about 23" tall and had no shelves. To make it more usefull, we added 3 shelves with a 1" lip on the front to hold all the DW's cooking spices. It freed up a lot of other shelf space that was better used for larger grocery items.

I applaud Winnie for making a cabinet here at all. It is wedged in next to the drawer bank, and is triangle shaped. The shelves were cut to angle, and fitted in the space. The fronts were added after the shelves were in place (a geometry problem). But Dan, my carpenter did a great job figuring it out.

All in all we recovered a great deal of usable space, with not too much effort. Dan made the drawer bases in his shop and reattached the original fronts. All of these projects, the kitchen drawers and spice shelf, and the bedroom clothes hamper were done in one day. The hamper took an additional day because we had to order the front door and had the cabinet color matched for stain. Well worth the time and money.

Sarge

Our Travel Blog www.mytripjournal.com/rvnchickalaska
SargeW is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-07-2008, 02:24 PM   #2

The other half of my trip to the carpenters shop was to remodel the drawers that hold the kitchen utensils on the right side of the sink. While conviently placed, they were not designed well. The first thing the DW noticed when we walked in the rig the first time was that there was no handle on the top drawer blank. At the time I assumed that there was an obstruction behind the blank so there was no drawer. Even so they should have put a handle on it. Within a few weeks I has ordered one from Winnie. It sat in a drawer for over a year! But adding the handle greatly improved the look of the set of drawers.

Later, a buddy and I were poking around the cabinets and discovered a huge amount of wasted space behind the drawer bank. Not only would a top drawer fit, by removing the plywood backing that Winnie had fabbed into the cabinet, we were able to increase the depth of the drawer from 10" deep to 20" deep! I am assuming too that Winnie did not put in the top drawer because it was not as deep as the other drawers. Here is what the wife found to do with her new "skinny" drawer.

The drawer is about 3" deep and holds her knife block perfectly.

To gain the maxium benefit from the new drawers, we built an angle on the back of the drawer to accomidate a cabinet brace in the back of the cabinet. The right side of the drawer is 17" deep, and the left corner is 20" deep. The extra space was HUGE for the DW storing her kitchen goods.

I am assuming that is why Winnie chopped the drawers off so short to start with. Make it easy and quick and move on.

Before most of these kitchen gadgets wouldn't even fit in the drawer, let alone all the extra stuff that she needs.

As a finish to the drawer project, this is was a skinny 6" wide cabinet that is about 23" tall and had no shelves. To make it more usefull, we added 3 shelves with a 1" lip on the front to hold all the DW's cooking spices. It freed up a lot of other shelf space that was better used for larger grocery items.

I applaud Winnie for making a cabinet here at all. It is wedged in next to the drawer bank, and is triangle shaped. The shelves were cut to angle, and fitted in the space. The fronts were added after the shelves were in place (a geometry problem). But Dan, my carpenter did a great job figuring it out.

All in all we recovered a great deal of usable space, with not too much effort. Dan made the drawer bases in his shop and reattached the original fronts. All of these projects, the kitchen drawers and spice shelf, and the bedroom clothes hamper were done in one day. The hamper took an additional day because we had to order the front door and had the cabinet color matched for stain. Well worth the time and money.

Sarge

Old 06-07-2008, 04:19 PM   #3

Nice job once again Sarge. Keep up the good work and we might promote you to Capt. of Customization
Old 06-07-2008, 05:24 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Although an awesome carpentry job Sarge, I'm disapointed...a guy has to have a junk drawer and I don't see it
Good job!
Lt46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 07:52 PM   #5

Hey thanks guys! My junk drawer is all the outside compartments!!

Since we started to full time, I am really appreciating all the extra nooks and corners that I can find. It seems like I have something to put in every one of em.......

Old 06-08-2008, 06:57 AM   #6

Another nice job Sarge. I'm always amazed at the wasted space in the rigs. I guess a piece of plywood covering the opening is cheaper than a shelf or drawer.

Joe
full-timer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 09:55 AM   #7

You are right Joe. I guess there is no real monetary benefit for the designers to figure out how to provide as much storage as possible for the owners. I mean the cabinets all looked great, but those 10" long drawers were laughable.

I also forgot to mention, we had to put on new drawer glides to accomidate the longer drawers so they would pull out to the full extension. Not a big deal though, they were a standard size.

Old 06-09-2008, 04:00 PM   #8

You beat me to the punch Sarge. I was going to ask about the possibility of full extension slides on the new drawers. Nice job. We did the same thing to the drawers below our dinette seats. The drawers are twice as long as before and the heavy duty full extension slides allow my DW to put heavy items in the drawers without worry. The slides also have a pull closed feature that engages when the drawer is within a couple of inches of being closed. So far it seems to have enough pull to keep them closed while driving down the road.

2006 Gulfstream Ultra LE 6316
ghamblen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 05:25 PM   #9

The drawer closers are a nice touch Gary. It was amazing how much space it added to the kitchen area by increasing the capacity of the drawers. So much more stuff fit into the drawers that used to take up space elsewhere.

Sarge

Old 06-13-2008, 04:28 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Sarge,
You just gotta be fiddlin with something don't you Sarge. What a great job, they look great and more space to boot.

mark

06 HR Endeavor 40 PET
Sixpack98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 08:05 PM   #11

Thanks Mark,

I love to fiddle if it makes it better. However, it does keep be outta trouble......