Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-27-2011, 04:00 PM   #1

KN air intake system

I have a 96, E350 Ford class C motor home. Was wondering if a K&N air intake system for the 460ci would help with the gas mileage.

At this time I am getting 8.0 to 8.5mpg on highway speeds.

Any ideas?

Larry
BARNES is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-27-2011, 04:11 PM   #2

"Performance" intake systems (note that I have it in quotes - most don't do much of anything for performance) are designed with the "idea" of increasing engine output - ie horespower and torque.

That would happen at near full throttle, if at all. Increasing MPG would be something that happens at smaller throttle openings.

I was in the auto repair business for 45 years, and saw all sorts of BS devices promoted - none have ever worked.

Keep the engine in tune and practice MPG improving driving habits. That will be your best you can do.

Google "HyperMiling" for tips that can save you 10-20% depending on how you drive now.
Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 09:05 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
I had my own auto business for years, focusing on high performance Chevys. As Bluepill said most of the 'add on this giz to gain 50% more horsepower were total phonys. I found that most of the improvements realized by customers were due to either A) the customer's imagination or B) the customer had almost never mashed the pedal into the floor before, and when he did (after the 'upgrade') it was absolutely amazing. Recommend not to waste your bucks. Follow bluepills suggestions above.
nbounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 01:10 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by BARNES View Post
I have a 96, E350 Ford class C motor home. Was wondering if a K&N air intake system for the 460ci would help with the gas mileage.

At this time I am getting 8.0 to 8.5mpg on highway speeds.

Any ideas?

maybe
Larry
a k&n filter element will help a little for both power and mileage.
i get MAYBE .5 mpg better from the k&n filter element and dual low restriction aero mufflers.
imho the expensive ''cai'' systems are a waste of money.
rather than the k&n filter element, i would install an s&b element. the s&b is thicker for better filtration, still very low restriction.
they are both oiled gauze filters.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L 5sp allison SW Wa,. Good Sam, SKP. RVM 198 AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. Michelins, TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '21MB GLA FWD on dolly
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 11:28 AM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
The K&N air filter systems apparently don't test very well.

SEE HERE

And HERE
Old 07-30-2011, 11:25 AM   #6

Clay, Thanks for the links.

When you see the little Honda Civics buzzing around with fart-can mufflers and blowing out blue smoke from oil burning, I'll bet it's piston ring / cylinder damage from poorly filtered air rather than bouncing off the rev limiter that's to blame.
Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 01:43 PM   #7

Thanks for the links too. I guess by improving the air flow you must have less filtering.

I bought a Fram filter for $10.95 v/s the $39.95 for the K&N.

Larry
BARNES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 05:42 AM   #8

I might be wrong, a modern computerized, fuel injected engine only takes in a predetermined amount of air per RPM and throttle position. I have run K&N filters in the past only because of extreme dirty operating conditions, and it was cheaper in the long run to reuse the filter. I was buying a air filter every two months and it don't take long to pay for itself. For my application,400 Cat, $390 is too much for a reusable filter to use on the highway.
336muffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 05:50 AM   #9

Another problem with the K&N and some of the others out there is that you have to clean and re-oil the filter. If you happen to get to much oil on the filter, the oil will foul the Mass Air Flow sensor, which will set a check engine light, and then you have to replace the MAF as it usually cannot be cleaned.