Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-27-2017, 03:35 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Question Kumho -- Kelly tires and TPMS ?????

Bought the TPMS from Truck Systems Two years ago and it worked great. That is, until toward the end of last year. I knew the batteries in the sensors were going bad but neglected to change them. I'll never do that again From now on I'll change them every year.

Last week I changed the batteries and found that the inside right rear had no air in it. took it over to the tire shop to have them look at it. They found that the air valve extension had come loose and let the air out. And apparently I had run that tire when it was down but it showed no signs of that. When the guy was putting the air back in the tire, it 'zippered' (Blew big time). What a BANG. Fortunately he wasn't hurt.

The tires that were on were Kumhos. Rather than replace just the one, decided to replace the two front steer tires and put one of the fronts on the rear. This shop wasn't able to readily find Kumhos and I want to stay with this shop since I know these guys and their shop is less than a mile from my house. $$$ dosen't trump great service.

The choices they gave me for 2 tires were:
2 Goodyear 647RSS @ $700
2 Hankook AH11s @ $612
2 Kelly Armorsteel RSA @ $516
Plus like $25 to mount and balance.

Last fall my friend (who used to own a tire store) put 6 new Kellys on his MH and he recommended them also. He is like me and only puts a few thousand miles a year on.

Just thought I would throw this out there and see what anyone else out there thinks. I am leaning toward the Kellys but could not find much on them by searching the forum.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-27-2017, 08:45 PM   #2
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
What size are your tires. I am running 295/80/22.5 and just replaced all eight tires as they were 9 years old. I bought Yokohama 104ZR. These are almost the same tire as the Bridgestones I had on. I paid $385/each with mounting balancing was add. $18
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 07:40 AM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDi View Post
What size are your tires. I am running 295/80/22.5 and just replaced all eight tires as they were 9 years old. I bought Yokohama 104ZR. These are almost the same tire as the Bridgestones I had on. I paid $385/each with mounting balancing was add. $18
Mine are 245/70 R 19.5 14 ply.
Old 04-29-2017, 05:08 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I may be wrong but was told Kelly is made by Goodyear. I looked at putting them on my coach as the dealer that I was at was a Goodyear dealer. I wound up at another dealer that the company I worked for deals with and put Firestone on. The price was close to the same. I think the Kelly's would be a good tire.
Old 04-30-2017, 07:50 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Kelly is indeed a wholly owned subsidiary of Goodyear. Which may or may not mean anything for any given tire size & model. Could be sourced from a GY plant and essentially the same as some GY model, or could be sourced elsewhere. These days, tire companies use factories all around the world to actually get their tires made.

Are those prices for the pair of tires, or "each"? You should be able to get the pair of Hankooks for $600. Nothing wrong with the Kellys either, or Coopers if he can get them.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 10:55 AM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Yesterday I got the Kelly tires put on the front, they look good but I haven't gone anywhere yet. Bonus stamped on the side it says "Made in the USA"
Old 05-02-2017, 11:05 AM   #7

You should have them put both fronts on the rear. The tire next to the flat one was overloaded for as long as the inner was flat.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 02:06 PM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
You should have them put both fronts on the rear. The tire next to the flat one was overloaded for as long as the inner was flat.
Thats exactly what we did, but thanks for the interest.

Tags
tires