Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-25-2009, 05:29 PM   #1

Kumho Tires Good or Bad

I just came down from N.J. traveling Rt 81 over the Blue Ridge then to Birmingham Ala. then on to Florida, St. George Island then to Old Town Fla. Yellow Jacket campground. Just 6 miles before Yellow Jacket I had a blowout (outside rear curbside) called Good Sam and Tire company out of Gainsville had the spare on in less then an hr.but not sure if it may have a slow leak as it has 80lb. today. The tire guy asked what I keep them at 85lb. thinking he just put 80lb. in. I will check in the am: to see if any loss overnight. I have GoodYear 670 on that need to be replaced and was wondering on Kumho tires as they are $100.00 less then Goodyears. I would just like to here from anyone who are using them and your review of them.
Mikeeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-25-2009, 07:00 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
I had a set on my truck and they were OK for traction and noise, but I do not feel they wore well. I replaced the set of 6 with about 30,000 miles and not a lot of thread left. Never had any issues with them and we were towing pretty heavy on them. This was on the F350 dually.
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 08:40 PM   #3

Appalachian Campers
Send a message via Yahoo to W4RLR
20K on my Kumhos, they ride quieter and smoother than the OE Contis, even with a more aggressive tread pattern. I'm happy with mine.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
W4RLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 10:15 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
We ran Kumho tires on buses. Never had any problems with them.
Old 12-26-2009, 07:10 AM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have them on my TOAD because when the time came to replace my original tires, the salesman suggested Kumho rather than Michelins. Now, I'm a Michelin man so I asked him why. He said that he felt the quality was about the same and the cost was much less. When the time comes in a year or two to replace my 22.5" tires on the MH, I will consider them. So far, I have been very pleased.
golden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 07:47 AM   #6
JVJ

I ran Kumho tires on my F450 4x4 Crewcab, these were my tire of choice. Good aggressive pattern, no balance problems, average wear for like size and pattern tire.
And didn't break the bank when it was time to replace one.
Relax, they are good tires.
JVJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 07:15 PM   #7

I run them on my Toad rockcrawler, good mileage no problems. Have them on my CRV now.
Old 12-27-2009, 07:18 PM   #8

Still shopping in Jacksonville Fla. area tried CW in St. Augustine for G670 19.5 and almost fell out of my chair.$2600.00 for six wow,over $400.00 ea.I though they would be cheaper in Fla. then Jersey but not so. I'm waiting on some other prices on Kuhmo. If anyone has a tire dealer in Jacksonville Fla. area please forward.
Old 12-28-2009, 08:56 AM   #9

I have 8 of them on our MH and over the last 3 years have had great service from them.
PanJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 10:35 AM   #10

Putting on 6-245r-70/19.5 range f 14 ply Sumitomo $1550.00 out the door at a local Tire Kingdom.I contacted my Tire dealer in Jersey who I have used for 30yrs.who is a Goodyear dealer and he picked the Sumitomo as that is what he would have sold me. He has sold hundreds without a problem. He said there great tires and everyone he has sold them to are very happy. So that was my choice.They are over a $1000.00 less then the over rated Goodyear. We will see. Thanks for all!!!
Old 12-30-2009, 10:49 PM   #11

My rig had 295-80 R 22.5 load range H Michelean which were extremely cracked after 6 years. For replacement I looked at Kumo's, Yokohamo's, Toyo's and I also priced the big brand Goodyear and Michs. I ended up going with Yokohomo 's which saved me almost $1000 as compared to the Goodyear G670's. I have just over 8000 miles on the Yoko's and I'm very happy.

Kind of off subject, in Nov I attended the SEMA automotive show in Las Vegas and was amazed at the number of Chinese and Korean companys present that were manufacturing tires for autos and trucks. In the near future, if not already, the majority of all tires will most likley be made in China or Korea.
Old 12-31-2009, 09:26 AM   #12

I did it 6 new Sumitomo 245R-70/19.5 $1550.00 at Tire Kingdom Jx. Fla. The job took 4 hrs. but they got them on and bal.They seem to drive very smooth on the way back to Middleburg up to 55 mph. we will be leaving back to NJ Sat. am: hope they drive the same at 65mph. Rt 10 to 295 and home on 95 16 hrs. later and home. It always sounds to be so short a drive!!!!!!!!!! fingers X on good weather
Old 01-01-2010, 09:29 AM   #13

Mike,RT 10 is rough. Wait until you get off it to judge your new tire ride.

Joe
full-timer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 08:11 AM   #14

Where home in NJ, what a trip!! The winds blowing from start to finish 35-45 gusted,the bridges where out of control with the Key bridge in Baltimore was closed to Semis with no load and house traliers. There was a few gusted on the bridge that moved us 2-3 ft.sideways, NOT FUN.The tires where fine the wind was wild, blowing that Ford Dutchstar all over the road. The tires when I got them pressure set at 85 lb as Newmars settings for chassie. temp that day 72* two days later as leaving for home temp.35* pressure dropped to 75lb. no compressor or I would have aired them up, butI figured tire heat would bring them back up. I have not checked now that where home 20* outside. I think temp. keep them down, they look low but looks are not always true. I would not of thought temp. would dropped them 10 lb. I will check them wed. temps. to be high of 36 and set at 95lb. max load rating. I hope that will not bring them over spec. once temps. come up in the spring. We will see. Cool in north Fla. but nothing like Jersey. COLD COLD and more Cold!!!!!