Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-15-2007, 07:38 AM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
My L3 slipped a cog (so's to speak) and couldn't find a bird. KVH had me run the diagnostics and it concluded the elevation limit switch was bad.

I finally got to a service location (McCollom's in Great Falls-good people, good service, low $$). I had received a new limit switch and they began to install.

Well, the tech said the Azimuth motor slipped past the limit switch and was banging against it, trying to move. He rotated the azimuth platform and got it back in place. When I fired it up, it took about 60 seconds but finally found the sat and all is well.

Now my question. I thought it had GPS for finding its way but the tech told me to enter our zip code or city. It has always been slow to find the bird but since I have been telling the receiver where we are, it finds the satellite and locks within a few seconds.

Is our location fed from the receiver to the tracker? Or does that info just provide me the directions to manually set a dish?

Info?

Dean

2002 Itasca Suncruiser - WH Chassis - 35U - 2006 Jeep Liberty
hamguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-15-2007, 07:38 AM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
My L3 slipped a cog (so's to speak) and couldn't find a bird. KVH had me run the diagnostics and it concluded the elevation limit switch was bad.

I finally got to a service location (McCollom's in Great Falls-good people, good service, low $$). I had received a new limit switch and they began to install.

Well, the tech said the Azimuth motor slipped past the limit switch and was banging against it, trying to move. He rotated the azimuth platform and got it back in place. When I fired it up, it took about 60 seconds but finally found the sat and all is well.

Now my question. I thought it had GPS for finding its way but the tech told me to enter our zip code or city. It has always been slow to find the bird but since I have been telling the receiver where we are, it finds the satellite and locks within a few seconds.

Is our location fed from the receiver to the tracker? Or does that info just provide me the directions to manually set a dish?

Info?

Dean

Old 09-16-2007, 05:37 AM   #3

Great question, I'd like to know also. I have an old L-2 which usually takes about 2 minutes to find the Direct bird. I have ever entered the local zip code.
w4phj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 06:23 AM   #4

I have that unit. I don't know about the GPS. I do know that it knows approximatley where it is, becuase when I leave the state, it automatically blocks my downfeed on the local channels.

Mine will find the bird whether I enter my approximate zip code or not. It's quicker if I enter the zip.

1995 Newell, 470HP Detroit Diesel Series 60
Bikeboy57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 06:44 AM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
It doesn't block the feed. Direct uses a "spot" beam irrespective of where you are at. Of course, it may know due to GPS but it has to find a new location if turned off and the location changes as mine does when we travel. I don't use it while moving (99% of the time).

Old 10-01-2007, 12:07 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
I don't believe the L3 uses GPS to find its way. It does it all purely by blind-luck (sometimes more than others). It will start a search at its last-known position (AZ-EL wise) and then start sweeping in AZ til it swings fully around and hits an end-stop. It then bumps the EL a bit and does another sweep. And so on, til it finds what it's looking for. Take a few minutes sometime and listen to it as it does its thing. Or better yet, hook a computer up to the serial port and, using HyperTerminal, watch it go thru its thinking and search process. Pretty amazing.

You are correct in that DirecTV uses ˜spot-beams' to broadcast to select areas. with a few flood-beams to cover an entire region. No GPS involved there, just geometry.

HTH,
Ron

'06 HR Endeavor 40PAQ (Mission Hills decor). All options, but still finding more to add.
ronboc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 01:10 PM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">HyperTerminal </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
ronboc how do you hitch up HyperTerminalh to my laptop
Old 10-02-2007, 01:31 AM   #8
Community Moderator

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
George, HyperTerminal is a program in windows. You should be abel to get to it through your control panel of WIndows software. You will need the patch cord that connects dish to laptop that came with the dish at installation. Depending on how old you system is it may even have the USB adapter included. There are some instruction in the owners manual as to how to do this.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 04:09 AM   #9

Ronboc's reply above agreees 100% with what a local KVH tech told me yesterday - we have Dish Network at home and wanted Dish in the coach as well. Our KVH (2005 preowned DSDP) had not been used by the original owner. After reading several other forums it appeared to us that the L-3 would make it's own determination as to whether you were connected to a Dish or Direct receiver and proceed to locate the correct satellites - after several exasperating attempts and a number of phone calls we learned that this was not the case. The unit required a reprogramming sequence thru the techs laptop - all's well now. The home zipcode that you enter gives the dish a "home base". When you move from there, as on a trip, it begins searching in a circular pattern beginning at that zipcode until it catches some signal strength and then the old "bird dog" really goes into "point mode"! (Did I miss this very important info in the KVH manual or on their website?)
Old 10-02-2007, 01:05 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
BTW, for anyone having problems with their KVH suddenly forgetting where it's pointing, or having trouble pointing in the first place, may I recommend getting a KVH (or similar) filtered power-supply to use. You'd think I'd learn after the second one, but noooo...

Less-frequent with my older L3 but a sure-thing on my newer R5, it would be locked-in with a good signal and then suddenly.. whoop.. off on another random search. Or maybe it would never ever find the bird, and just go round-and-round.

After many chats with KVH tech-support, and tearing out what little hair I had left, one guy finally asked if the power-supply was maybe overheating. WHAT power-supply I ask?? Seems that, even though the KVH uses 12vdc, it wants/needs a very clean source of that 12vdc and simply tying into the coach 12vdc isn't a good idea. There is a lot of electrical noise and interference on that line, and it was doing a darn good job of confusing the KVH.

Got a filtered supply, and the only time it gets lost now is when I'm parked under a tree and there's no signal to be found.

HTH,
Ron

'06 HR Endeavor 40PAQ (Mission Hills decor). All options, but still finding more to add.
ronboc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 12:05 PM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
"Got a filtered supply, and the only time it gets lost now is when I'm parked under a tree and there's no signal to be found."

What is your 'filtered' supply and how do you connect it?

If you have not connected to the local power source and the converter is not yet active, the power is supplied by the battery only. You will never find a cleaner source of 12VDC than the battery. You can operate the Sat. receiver and TV from an Inverter if need be.