Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-18-2017, 05:32 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Kwikee Electric Steps

I have the Kwikee Electric Steps on my motorhome. Today, I opened the motorhome door and the steps would not extend. I could hear a click or two, and the light under the steps turned on, but the steps would not extend. I heard no noise from the motor. I checked the auto on/off step switch and it was in the proper position. The chassis battery had a good charge and I even started the motorhome. I checked all wires and connections to the steps and they appeared fine. The motor has been replaced once before a couple of years ago.

I left the storage area and made arrangements for the storage worker to pull my coach out for an appointment tomorrow with the RV dealership. I just received a text from the storage worker stating the steps are working fine now. He said he opened and shut the door about ten times and the steps worked every time. He was with me when the steps were not working. He did not hit any switches inside the coach nor did he move the coach. He just opened the door and the steps started working again.

Could this be a sign the motor is going? Thoughts?

Thanks

Firestone Airbags, Hellwig front/rear Anti-Sway Bars,
Rear Trac Bar, Safe-T-Plus, and 480 watt solar system.
Rossi6998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-18-2017, 05:39 PM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Check the ground

rvbunz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 05:41 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossi6998 View Post
I have the Kwikee Electric Steps on my motorhome. Today, I opened the motorhome door and the steps would not extend. I could hear a click or two, and the light under the steps turned on, but the steps would not extend. I heard no noise from the motor. I checked the auto on/off step switch and it was in the proper position. The chassis battery had a good charge and I even started the motorhome. I checked all wires and connections to the steps and they appeared fine. The motor has been replaced once before a couple of years ago.

I left the storage area and made arrangements for the storage worker to pull my coach out for an appointment tomorrow with the RV dealership. I just received a text from the storage worker stating the steps are working fine now. He said he opened and shut the door about ten times and the steps worked every time. He was with me when the steps were not working. He did not hit any switches inside the coach nor did he move the coach. He just opened the door and the steps started working again.

Could this be a sign the motor is going? Thoughts?

Thanks
That sounds like a corroded connection. (frequently referred to as a weak ground, but can be the power wire as well.) Clean ALL connections.
Old 08-18-2017, 05:42 PM   #4

Agree, check the ground first. If not the ground, sounds like the Controller may be going.
Ted
Old 08-18-2017, 05:44 PM   #5

Second with the ground, mine stopped due to that, just rusty ground bolt to the frame a couple feet away. Then ran down the coach and found 2 more grounds that were suspect, and just cleaned. Hit with Dielectric grease, refastened all fine.
Old 08-18-2017, 06:30 PM   #6

Several posts have said ground wire I agree, grab it where it's screwed to your chassis make sure it's got a good connection.
Old 08-18-2017, 08:52 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Steps

Doesn't sound like the OP is one to fix it even if he knows what needs to be done.
Old 08-18-2017, 10:12 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodfoot View Post
Doesn't sound like the OP is one to fix it even if he knows what needs to be done.
????

Why would you say that?

Old 08-19-2017, 12:58 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Mine did the same thing, I put my hand on the motor making sure I would not get pinched if it decided to work. I could feel the motor try to start when the door was opened. Turn out to be the gears were jamming. I took it apart greased and resembled it. Works fine.
Old 08-19-2017, 06:44 AM   #10

Take a rubber mallet and give it a few wacks I have to do this sometimes
Old 10-06-2017, 06:52 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
**Update**

After doing my research, I decide to buy a replacement motor. I removed the old motor and while still plugged in, I opened the door to see if the motor would work. The gear on the motor turned slightly and stopped. After that the motor would no longer work. I installed the new motor and the steps now work fine.

Thanks!

Tags
electric, electric steps, kwikee, steps