Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-03-2016, 07:10 AM   #1

Send a message via Yahoo to Dsrtrider
Kwikee jacks

My 07 Winnebago with Kwikee Auto jacks dont come up all the way. They are about 1/4 to 1/2 down on all 4 when in up position. Also the lf creeps down sometimes while driving and lite comes on. Any ideas?
Dsrtrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-03-2016, 08:18 PM   #2

Perhaps the Kwikee owners/troubleshooting manual will help. Sounds to me like the system is low on oil, it uses Dextron III. If it gets too low on oil, air gets in the system and causes odd problems. Make sure the oil level is just below the fill opening when all jacks are retracted, if air is present it should self-purge; this might require adding more oil as air escapes the system.

If you jacks are truly 1/4 down, the alarm should be triggered all the time. Most systems will not allow the transmission to engage with alarm sounding.

I once had a similar problem with jacks creeping down. Turned out it was my fault for turning off the jack panel too soon after the jacks up light illuminated.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 08:41 PM   #3
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsrtrider View Post
My 07 Winnebago with Kwikee Auto jacks dont come up all the way. They are about 1/4 to 1/2 down on all 4 when in up position. Also the lf creeps down sometimes while driving and lite comes on. Any ideas?
I have a 2008 Winnebago with the Kwikee Level Best system. Trust me, my story is to long to go into but I have been working with this problem since 2010 and I have the documentation to prove it. I even went to the Winnebago factory and after 10 days of working on it every day - left.

So here you go: If you don't have the manual there are steps to take to check the system and then there is MY fix.

As stated, with the jacks retracted check the oil level in the holding tank of the pump and make sure it is up to the level of the dip stick. You have to screw the dip stick back in to get the reading, or if you just stick it in you will be a little overfilled.

To "automatically" purge the air find a very level spot and extend the jacks to their fullest capability then release the "All-up." You may have to do this a couple times but this will purge the air out of the system. In my case this has never worked to the extent that the jacks do not fall down an inch or so.

I have had 3 jacks replace, the pump replace and the solenoids replaced and it still does the same thing.

My fix: In 2010 when this happened and W'bago could/did not fix it I put in a switch. I you are lazy you can just take the control panel out and unplug the 4 wire plug that is on the back of the control panel. This will stop the alarm and the light on the dash. If you follow the red wire off of that plug you will find a little module with spade connectors on it. I pulled the the red one off, bought a single throw single pole toggle switch, drilled a hole next to the control panel and installed the switch. the red wire goes to one side of the switch spade and I made another to go from the other side of the switch to the little module. Now, when I retract the jacks I throw the switch and there is no alarm or light. The jacks have never dropped down more than an inch or so and not all of them drop the same. I always see silver when checking them.

If you don't see silver and the jacks appear to be up but the alarm and light are on then it may be one of the 4 reed switches at the top of each jack. These are magnetic proximity switches wired in series. When the jacks are all up, pin 6 of the Level Best system should be shorted to ground. If not then each switch needs to be tested to find the open one.

Hope this helps and again, this is for my 2008 with the Kwikee Level Best system.

Edited: I just re-read your post and 1/4 to 1/2 way down is way to much. If the oil is up to the full mark and this has happened there is a real problem that should be looked at by a pro.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 07:07 AM   #4

Send a message via Yahoo to Dsrtrider
Jacks

1/4 to 1/2 inch down when all up. When I got the coach they were up all the way. After using them first the rears were about 1/4 in from all the way up now its all 4. Fluid is full. LF seems to creep down when driving to about an inch down and lite comes on.
Dsrtrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 10:56 AM   #5
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
1/4 to 1/2 inch down when all up. When I got the coach they were up all the way. After using them first the rears were about 1/4 in from all the way up now its all 4. Fluid is full. LF seems to creep down when driving to about an inch down and lite comes on.
I have been dealing with that same problem since 2010 and I have had it in several repair shops to no avail. I am so happy that I added that toggle switch. At least I can turn the alarm off. In my case I can retract the jacks and within seconds they have dropped that 1" or so. I just turn off the power. It has been one frustrating length of time. I'm seriously thinking of making a trip to Elkhart and Power Gear to have them fix it. If they can't fix it then swap everything for a new system.

Everything PowerGear has said to do has been done by our service center. It didn't work.

Such a shame because when they were working it was a great system.

If you ever do have any luck getting it fixed, please let me know.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 10:13 PM   #6

Quote:
Sounds like a leaking solenoid valve(s).
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jacks, kwikee