Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-10-2014, 11:42 AM   #1
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Kwikee Level Best 3000 Jack Problem

On our last trip we encountered the dreaded "jacks down" problem. The first couple of times it was panic, take the first exit and check the jacks time. Some times we would go all morning with no problem and others it was on and off continuously. I confirmed that none of the jacks were dropping down any time this happened. By the time we arrived home, the fault was almost continuous.

Thanks to research on this forum, I tracked the problem down to a faulty sensor switch that is located on top of the jack (last one tested, of course). Originally I located one replacement switch on e-bay for $150, but by the time I confirmed it was a bad switch, the one on e-bay was gone.

I really didn't want to bypass the jack up sensor, but I could not locate a replacement anywhere. I came up with the idea of using a limit switch like is used on a CNC router or similar equipment. The switch is gasket sealed and is water/oil resistant so it should be fine in the weather. If not, it's an easy, cheap replacement.

Long story short, a $10 switch, two 5" hose clamps, a soldered extension to the plug wire and the problem was solved. I made sure to use a cross-roller switch so any movement of the landing pad would not bend the plunger.

The fix works perfectly with a total investment of $15.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Kwikee-1.jpg
Views:	428
Size:	45.1 KB
ID:	67426   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kwikee-2.jpg
Views:	321
Size:	50.7 KB
ID:	67427  

Name:	Kwikee-3.jpg
Views:	382
Size:	50.2 KB
ID:	67428  
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-11-2014, 10:29 AM   #2

Vintage RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Outstanding.
I have the same issue this would probly cure. Where do you get these switches?
Old 07-11-2014, 10:22 PM   #3
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJBROWN View Post
Outstanding.
I have the same issue this would probly cure. Where do you get these switches?
I bought two of them on e-bay for under $20 with free shipping. Here is a link to the e-bay listing, or you can just search for plunger limit switch.

1NO 1NC Contact Cross Roller Plunger Actuator Enclosed Limit Switch TZ 8122 | eBay
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	S_57.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	49.9 KB
ID:	67597  
Old 07-21-2014, 09:13 AM   #4

Vintage RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Well, I had a chance to do some troubleshooting yesterday on mine and found one of the jack switches was not working either. I'm sure this has been my on-going problem with the indicator and beeping.

I also found these switches online for about $8 but can't remember where. LOL. There seem to be a variety of them. (I think it was ebay.)

So for now I put a jumper in the socket for the wiring to the panel to bypass that jack. Sure enough, the panel controller works perfectly now. I may or may not bother with the one reed switch. I have found the Kwikee reed switches online but they're over $50. And I'm not sure how to remove one from the top of the jack - didn't get that far yesterday.

The other thing I did was break out the beeper on the controller board. I call it de-beeping them. Just did this on a 3-speed room fan that beeped every time you pushed a button, so took the board out, found the beeper, and just broke it off the board with a pair of pliers. The board doesn't care if the beeper is there - it just sends power to it to beep, so if nothing is there or it doesn't work, nothing else happens. I was confident enough to do this on my $150 Kwikee control panel now. Sure enough...peace and quiet! For ten years we've been putting up with that beeper!

Since my controller operates two legs at a time the one with the now missing reed switch can't get left down anyway, so I'm good to go. Whoohoo!
Closed Thread

Tags
kwikee