Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-21-2011, 07:43 PM   #1

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Kwikee Power step

I have had no problem with my power step before, and in getting ready to go on a trip I plugged the power cord in to cool the refer, and to my surprise the step came on it own, thinking nothing about it before today when I tried to retract it, and it wont retract, I know I cant drive with it out, and I have no clue on how to get it retracted to allow me to leave on time, the puck light go off and on with the switch but the step doesn't budge.

I welcome all feedback
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-22-2011, 03:03 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Be sure the voltage in both the chassis and house batteries is 12.8 vdc or better. Check to see if magnet on door fell or or switch has been dislodged. Try turning the ignition on with the door closed. Check fuses; there should be three of them for the steps. Let us know what you find.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 05:09 AM   #3

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
The batteries ae all fully charged, the switch is a button that is compresses by a small metal plate attached to the door and doesn't use a magnet, and I still have some fuses to double check but my thoughts was if the step puck light worked then we had to have power also. The switch is in place, and works because again the lights goes on and off by it.

Is there a way to close it manually? we have to leave tonight and I don't think it is safe to drive with it down?

If not I will have to remove the whole step to beable to meet my deadline.

Unsure if it matters but the step was not stock and was added by the PO

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Wizard View Post
Be sure the voltage in both the chassis and house batteries is 12.8 vdc or better. Check to see if magnet on door fell or or switch has been dislodged. Try turning the ignition on with the door closed. Check fuses; there should be three of them for the steps. Let us know what you find.
Old 07-22-2011, 08:50 AM   #4

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
This morning I did everything you recommended, and it stated to work, but after a few trys it started to stall, and the only way I could get it to retract is to help it with my foot and that was after I again lubed it, so I think it was the tapping on the motor that work, not not 100% sure. I got it retracted now and the switch off so it down fold out, just because I don't want to have to bother with it tonight , but once I get to where we are going , what can you recommend me doing while camping to try and get it to again work correctly. Beside the not retracting the stalling and hard retracting was how it was when I bought it and heavy lube solved that but for reason unknown it did not seem to work this time of course I did not use the recommended step up instead a lube with silicone, and I have not place to bu the correct lube before I go, and unsure If I can locate it during the trip.
Old 07-22-2011, 09:01 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Sounds like you have a balky step motor. Sometime a knock with the wood part of a hammer will cause it to work. However, if it is still a problem, I would replace the motor. Or use a BFH to really wail on it.

it is an automobile motor used in automatic windows. Fairly inexpensive.

Dr4Film ----- Richard.
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 03:42 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Had my step go out and would not come back up when we were ready to go home from a trip after checking everything it ended up being a small piece of a plastic bushing lodged in the gear...hour later on the road home. Things never brake at home.
srzak is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kwikee, power