Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-09-2012, 06:28 PM   #1

Kwikee Step

I have a Class C motorhome with a single kwikee step. It was working fine when I parked the coach in the fall. Now the step will not come out. It seems like it attemps to move, but only slightly and not everytime the door is opened.
Where do I start?

Thanks,

Whitail

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-09-2012, 06:43 PM   #2
TAZ

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have had the same problem. Just takes a little wd40 and starts to work.

Improvise, adapt and overcome... "Semper Fi"
TAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 06:47 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Is it electric or manual?
Not sure this helps, but are batteries charged, checked electrical connections (corrosion) if electric? Have you spray pivot points (rust) with LDS or WD40, can you manually help it out?
Kwickee Steps 1/2 way down page is a "trouble shooting"
Good luck.
Old 03-09-2012, 06:48 PM   #4

Mine did that also, battery low voltage.
Old 03-09-2012, 07:01 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Had the same problem. A little lubrication at all pivot points cured it. First time I used oil but I found that it collected dirt and grime. I now use a silicone spray and it is on my maintenance check list.

Being retired means you can put off til tomorrow what you could have done today
Marriage is a relationship in which one is always right and the other is the husband
new2RVn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 08:41 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Check the battery and lube the joints she will work fine I'll bet.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 06:06 AM   #7

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
be sure to lube the joints of the operating mechanism over top of the steps. After you get it working as it should, try a little white grease on all of the moving parts. The grease will lubricate and help keep dirt from getting into the joints.
Old 03-10-2012, 07:38 AM   #8

The steps are usually operated by the chassis battery.
garym114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 07:57 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Low voltage with the battery as already mentioned. Changed our battery and now good to go. Ours was beyond charging and needed to be changed.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 09:24 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If it sat through the winter without being run I too would suspect the engine battery.

Did the engine start OK?
Old 05-07-2012, 07:27 AM   #11

Kwiki Step

[QUOTE=new2RVn;1109019]Had the same problem. A little lubrication at all pivot points cured it. First time I used oil but I found that it collected dirt and grime. I now use a silicone spray and it is on my maintenance check list.

Lubrication did the trick, Thank you so much! I now have it on my maintenance list also.

whitail
Old 05-07-2012, 12:28 PM   #12

WD 40 is a good cleaner but not lube after the WD 40 spray it with TRI FLO a great lube for most anything
Old 06-20-2012, 09:58 PM   #13

I want to thank all who had suggestions and lubing all the joints did the trick but I thought I'd add a few notes to make life easier.
1) Disconnect the steps from the motor. The steps are connected to the motor at a "knuckle" held in place by a "Clevis" pin ( looks like a bolt with no threads ) which is identifiable by the cotter pin going through the end of it. PAY ATTENTION to the direction you take the clevis pin out so you can put it back in the same way. This accomplishes two things: 1)You can now close the door to see if the motor is going through a full cycle and 2) you can work the steps manually which takes the strain off of the motor as you oil and grease ALL the joints.
TriFlo and silicon spray are good suggestions but if you don't have them I suggest the following: WD40 everything LIBERALLY and then apply your slide grease at the TOP of all joints. The slide grease is more liquid than most greases and will flow downward as it "follows" the WD40 into the joints that you cannot get to easily.
Work the step manually until it easily falls by itself from a raised position.
Reinsert the clevis pin and cotter pin, pour a celebratory beverage and smile... because you did it yourself and because you have learned the trick of getting the clevis pin out - and in... OH! I didn't tell you that one!
For removal: The knucle hole and step hole NEVER line up, so, if your step moves at all, coordinate the movement with a person inside who will shut the chassis switch off when the step is half way through it's movement. In my case, the movement was about 3 inches so my girlfriend had to be QUICK to catch the step at 1 1/2 inches. This takes the pressure off the clevis pin for removal.
For a step that does not move, I have used a 2x4 as a lever to get a couple inches of movement.
Since you have tested the motor, you will NEVER get it back to the EXACT position to reinsert the clevis pin. Again, stop the motor in mid cycle then move the step manually to that point. NOTE! Some motors wil complete their cycle even with the power off. In that case, bring the step to the motor wherever it has completed it's cycle and loosen the ( usually 4 ) bolts holding the motor housing to the chasis until the clevis pin slides in easily. Insert the cotter pin, tighten the motor bolts and you're done.
Hope this helps.

Tags
kwikee