Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-14-2009, 03:44 PM   #1

Kwikee Step

Kwik, before I fall out of the rig because the steps did not extend.

I have a 32 series Kwikee step with control unit #909506000.

Manufactured around '00 and is on an '01 National RV. Just replaced the door magnet switch. Door fails to extend some of the time, happens more ofter in a rapid fire session. If I go slow it works better, but not every time. Laying under the rig, playing with the door switch with a magnet, I "think" I hear little clicking sounds coming from the control unit when it is in failure mode. Used a toggle switch in place of the magnet switch with same results, except it worked better in fast mode, and worse in slow mode. I redid the ground connection, and all wire connections. It may be possible the the wire is defective where it enters the unit, or inside of it.

It is sealed up pretty good, may have to do some destructive disassembly. That is if all else fails!!

I called Kwikee, left msg, waiting for reply.

Anyway, can't find the control unit with the above part number. An ebay dealer said that #909510000 control unit would work, he did not have any.

google failed me this time. Anyone have any idea where I could find one and if in fact it is the correct replacement?

hdossett is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-15-2009, 10:07 AM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
These guys rebuild the control boards http://www.flightsystems.com/kwikee_..._services.html
Old 04-15-2009, 03:08 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Had good luck with this Dealer here's a LINK TO KWIKEE PARTS.
Make sure your brake switch pedal is fully released, pull up on brake to see if your steps will work.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 04:01 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Send a message via Yahoo to Rick Long
Lightbulb All or Nothing.. OK Less

When I replaced my motor, I went for the conversion kit. It just didn't make sense to me to replace the motor for $140 bucks when I could get everything but the steps for $209... Motor, Gear Assy, Actuating Arm and Control Box. Heck I repainted the step too, so it's like they're totally new!

By the way.. If your handy and are in no huge hurry to get them fixed... AFTER I replaced mine, the Bounder group I belong to came up with a replacement motor... it is an exact replacement and it's from a early 90's Ford power window mechanism. Pull your old motor and find a helpful partsman... they run less than $50
Rick Long is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 01:54 PM   #5

Intermittent operation of these steps is usually a bad ground. There are two ground wires under the steps. Be sure each is making good connection. Usually Kwikee tech support is very helpful.
Rainbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 01:53 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdossett View Post
Kwik, before I fall out of the rig because the steps did not extend.

I have a 32 series Kwikee step with control unit #909506000.

Manufactured around '00 and is on an '01 National RV. Just replaced the door magnet switch. Door fails to extend some of the time, happens more ofter in a rapid fire session. If I go slow it works better, but not every time. Laying under the rig, playing with the door switch with a magnet, I "think" I hear little clicking sounds coming from the control unit when it is in failure mode. Used a toggle switch in place of the magnet switch with same results, except it worked better in fast mode, and worse in slow mode. I redid the ground connection, and all wire connections. It may be possible the the wire is defective where it enters the unit, or inside of it.

It is sealed up pretty good, may have to do some destructive disassembly. That is if all else fails!!

I called Kwikee, left msg, waiting for reply.

Anyway, can't find the control unit with the above part number. An ebay dealer said that #909510000 control unit would work, he did not have any.

google failed me this time. Anyone have any idea where I could find one and if in fact it is the correct replacement?
EBAY ITEM # 220385550824 good luck!
Joeriddell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 03:54 PM   #7

Kwikee Step --- "UP DATE"

Have had intermittent problems with the steps since early 2009

Original post May 2009
Did all kinds of trouble shooting - eliminated everything that could cause the problem... except the operator!

June 2010 in the driveway, ready to head to Alaska, the steps would not retract!, undeterred, I just removed the linkage pin, wired them up and took a step stool, and drove away! That night, in Mesquite, NV, I un-wired them, replaced the pin and... everything worked! For the next 10,000 miles and four months, they worked... at least 3 out of 4 times.

Fast forward, March, 2011, steps refused to work again. This time I removed the motor assembly from the steps and direct wired to battery... no joy! Started removing parts and testing every step of the way. Nothing worked until I got down to just the motor, and it worked! Lubed everything and started putting things back together, testing along the way, and it kept working! Great, just needed a good lube!

Wrong! Everything worked... Until last week. Same thing all over again. Would work two out of three times! So, started researching the motor, gear assembly, narrowed down to a 1980 something to a 1990 something Ford Tarsus.

This morning I drove to Auto Zone (with motor in hand). The photo for the Taurus motor did not match! Parts guy said "we'll look at others, stick with Ford" and came up with AZ part number Part Number: 742-251, Alternate Part Number: WL43001, Dorman Window Lift. Listed for a '90 Ford F-150. $53.99.

Lots of Plastic on the new one, but it fits, and had to reengineer the wiring to match my controller but it is looking good so far!

This afternoon I attached the assembly to the step and controller, tested, and it worked, so I put the pin in the linkage and tested again. Everything worked.

One of the four carriage bolts holding the assembly to the step was broken, and no way to get in there to replace. Watching the working step, it looked like it really needed the forth bolt, so looking everything over, I figured I could cut a 1.25 inch hole in the fiberglass, under the rubber threshold to gain access. It worked, so I got all four bolts holding the gear assembly onto the step assembly.

Every thing is working now, but, I have said that before! Wish me luck!

Harold

hdossett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 04:09 PM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
If I decide to come out of retirement and become a ser. mgr. again, will you come to Ga. and work for me? Its great to hear of someone who will actually work on something and not just go buy a new one. ATTABOY!!!!!
ga traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 06:27 PM   #9

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainbow View Post
Intermittent operation of these steps is usually a bad ground. There are two ground wires under the steps. Be sure each is making good connection. Usually Kwikee tech support is very helpful.

I second the bad ground. I had a '99 Tradewinds and the steps did the same thing. In looking at things, the late. not so great, National RV factory grounded the steps to the steps!

Grounding the steps to the chassis worked wonders
dons2346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 04:56 PM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f84/kwike...kee-73523.html

problem could be in motor gears not greased