Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 08-04-2015, 11:01 PM   #15
Removing 3 small bolts

Originally Posted by dlduck View Post
I have a 2006 National Dolphin Ford V-10 and my steps are very erratic. They seem to only work when I get down and tap the motor with a mallet, and that is only some of the time. I suspect that my issue is the motor as I have checked all of the connections, cleaned them, and lubed everything very good. My issue now is that I cannot get the 3 bolts that hold the housing loose to remove the motor. They seem to just turn and turn, and will not drop down to remove the assembly. Do you have any suggestions?
Nuts that are spinning (now that they have been loosened by you) aren't tack-welded to the frame the motor. Grab a flashlight and see if you can verify that, but 99% sure that's your issue.

Originally (2 years ago) my step problems were alleviated by tapping on the motor and I assumed I'd gotten a bunch of wet gravel stuffed in the motor gears
by driving on some of the roads in Alaska. I made a scrap metal screen to go behind my right rear tire & mudflap and pop-riveted it into place and my step problems disappeared for a year (or so).

After removing the step motor I'm not so sure that was the problem... those gears and powerful motors would crush tiny pebbles easy.

After some "detective work" and gently tugging on the wires, I found the yellow wire coming out of the control unit had frayed and finally broke off which stopped the step operation completely. Bought a new control unit, installed (easy to do) and it worked great for another 6 months. (This assumes
that your step has a control unit...? Some don't)

Anyway, there are a number of things that can cause the motor not to work so go to the Kwikee website and check out their trouble-shooting guide and then search
here for lots of relevant info. BUY A TEST LIGHT if you don't already own one?

Good luck! Mucho help right here... good people with good ideas

Somewhere on the open road...
dave6152 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-05-2015, 12:43 PM   #16
Triple E Owners Club
I had the "jerky" problem when I bought my coach in 2010. I lubricated all the "joints" - including the 4 up under the coach with Castrol chain lube.
I now lube the steps once or twice a year and have no problems. Don't get any on your clothes as it contains graphite.
It will not collect dust and dirt and stays put.
It was designed for the chains on motorcycles. DON'T use any other brand.

2007 Triple E - Empress Elite - Freightliner
WH 22 owner for 7 years
JCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 04:16 PM   #17
Kwikee step motor versus Ford Taurus window motor

Well it's been about a month or more and my step continues to operate as it should and the extra $$$ are not that big a deal relative to the convenience of the darn thing working and not having to toss down my plastic step & then retrieve it.

All's well that ends well... again I extend my thanks to all here who contributed!

Somewhere on the open road...
dave6152 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 04:28 PM   #18

Originally Posted by JCM View Post
I had the "jerky" problem when I bought my coach in 2010. I lubricated all the "joints" - including the 4 up under the coach with Castrol chain lube.
I now lube the steps once or twice a year and have no problems. Don't get any on your clothes as it contains graphite.
It will not collect dust and dirt and stays put.
It was designed for the chains on motorcycles. DON'T use any other brand.
Good advice, not sure why most people don't pick up on the fact that these steps are in a very dirty area and need to be lubed on a regular basis. Lube is way cheaper than new parts....
Dennis & Carol
2003, 4006, 41' DutchStar, Spartan, ISC 8.3L W/BanksPower - 2013 Honda CRV, BlueOx Baseplate, Aventa Bar & Patriot Brake. And the 04 Bird, Sunshine Car.
dennis45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 06:51 PM   #19
Just replaced a plastic gear motor that was stripped out. I found that the smaller metal gear's pin wasn't fully seated into the shaft. There's an oval like pin that converts to fully round to handle the centering of the small gear. Anyway, I cut a small piece of a bolt to fit in the smaller gear's center opening to keep the pins seated. Also someone previously had two washers stacked up to get the small gear to fully seat into the larger gear.

Motor plastic gearing only lasted 1 year but I think it was stepped on while traveling a couple times by our new to RV family. Motor found on Amazon for $84, had it over nighters to 4.99.

Step gears were lubed up and I'll check all the friction points when I get some good spray lube.
Craig and Jessica | RV Rookies | 2014 Fleetwood Bounder 35K| Tampa, FL
Car54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 11:24 AM   #20
Monaco Owners Club
Originally Posted by 38Chevy454 View Post
The Ford P/W motors are notorious for the gears stripping; or more accurately the torque pins break. The motor is usually fine, and it will spin or skip because the torque pins are what is broken, not the electric motor. Follow this for a $0.25 fix.
1) Remove motor assy.
2) Take your old motor assy and remove the cover over the center gear (should be 3 small fasteners)
3) The center gear will lift out from the larger motor driven gear, notice that the center gear is kind of triangular shape on the side that interfaces with the motor driven gear. Between the two gears are three pins that transfer the torque from the motor driven gear to the center gear.
4) These torque pins are what break. Instead of replacing them with the same nylon round pieces, use six 1/4 inch nuts. Six of the 1/4 inch nuts is about $0.25 at hardware store.
5) Clean out the gear housing of old grease and broken pin pieces.
6) Dry fit the six 1/4 inch nuts, you stack two nuts at each of the three locations. It is kind of tight fit, but dry fit will let you verify the assy.
7) Now put clean grease, and the six nuts, and place the center gear in place.
8) Reinstall cover.

Now your motor will work and not skip. BTW, this repair will work for your car or truck windows that have the same problem.
I just went through this process to repair my jerky steps. Mine didn't have "pins", it had three urethane blocks. They were not broken but showed signs of the clutch slipping. I replaced them with the 1/4" nuts and put it back together and it works great.

Thanks for the info!
2012 Monaco Knight 36 PFT
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
2005 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited on 2007 16' Car Hauler trailer
Dennis_K is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 09:44 AM   #21
Kwikee Step closing erratically

Originally Posted by dave6152 View Post
(Posted this earlier in the Class C forum and decided it might get more response/answers in the general RV forum..?)
Just installed a new electric motor on my Series 26 single-step Kwikee step (2009 Fleetwood Icon) after reading "Bob's guides to electrical steps". The guide stated that the plastic gears in the motor get stripped which can cause the step motor to act erratic.

The original motor was acting erratic when opening and closing (step would jump "in & out" a few times before settling into it's proper position) This happened when I opened or closed the step...

Installed the new motor (Ford, Taurus electric window motor) and it worked fine for exactly a week. Now it opens fine, but when I retract it to the closed position, it continues to jump "in & out" before it settles into the closed position.

Can't find anything on the Kwikee website about adjustments and all the moving points are lubricated properly.

Anyone else experience this problem..? Any help much appreciated..!
I had similar problem, and after visiting several forums I found a solution. Have read others saying to open housing of motor and replace with 6 bolts. That may work for them and I hope it does, I found replacement parts at Auto Zone. Dorman part number 74410 are three round spacers that are exact fit for the ones currently in the motor. mine were worn on one side and sort of oblong as well. The new parts were $7.99 and fit tight into the motor gear. Put motor back together and installed. Steps work perfectly and no erratic jumping on opening or closing.
Hope this works for you as well.

Riptide2011 is offline   Reply With Quote