Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-22-2013, 03:59 PM   #1

kwikee step issues

good afternooon ,
im new to this site and also posting :
i recently purchased an old model vectra , never owning a coach before have a lot to learn its been an adventure fortunatly i enjoy fixing things and learning about rv's just recently my kwikee step started act up, (no pun intended) it wont either close or open all the way and the motor seems to continually run ; i read the lititure but doesnt seem to cover this condition , it worked very well untill i started the unit with the door open , i may have turned the key on more than once , cant remember ?
but then i heard the motor continually running ,, i got a large mat so i can lie underneath the coach and un plug the four pin connector , the best i can gather that some hoe resets the controller ,, has anyone else had or heard of this condition ??? any input could be helpful and appreciated
thanx- a newbie ...studonc-

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-22-2013, 05:24 PM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Lub all the pivot points for starters. The motor turns off on hi current flow (a stall) when the steps are extended or closed. If binding occurs they'll stop anywhere. JM2...

teddyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 05:38 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by studonc27 View Post
good afternooon ,
it wont either close or open all the way and the motor seems to continually run c-
Hi .... are you saying the steps have stopped somewhere between fully retracted and fully extended (mid-cycle) but the motor is still running? If that is the case, you most likely have a broken gear.
Old 01-22-2013, 05:50 PM   #4

What you said is the motor continually runs that means its broke. The way the motor works when it can't move anyfurther in or out the controller sinces a heavy voltage load and quits. If it keeps running and nothing moving probably a broken motor gear or lucky maybe the pn feel out the only way to tell crawl under and look. KEEP FINGERS out of the way of the steps or lose them.
Old 01-23-2013, 10:31 PM   #5

hi thnx for the info , i have done a comprehensive "lube job" and unplugged the 4 pin connector , must not have replugged it in all the way , cause now now response to the switch , it also l;ooked corroded some what and the ground wire was movable ,, but then it was dark ,, so ill crawl back under and clean all contacts and see what 's up ,, ive got them in the out position locked so i'll start the diagnostics / and or pull the motor and check the gears. etc ... i cant find a kwikee step web page ??? but parts seem available .. thank for ur reply ill keep ya posted ,, had a small counter top job so income is always job one lol ..
im a semi retired corian fabricator and still do jobs when they come in.. thanx again studonc-
Old 01-23-2013, 10:39 PM   #6

hi thnx - for ur prompt reply
and yes thats what im expieriencing,,, but after disconnecting the battery for a brief moment the motor stops and then i can manually pull them out to the extended position .., i lubed them and didconnected the control box and checked the ground wire the grond wire was'nt tight . and 4 pin connector looked corroded, plugged it in and nothing at all now, so the plug isn't in all the way so thusday ill crawl back under and see what's up a cleaning and re-grounding may give further insight ,,, i keep ya posted thanx- again studonc-
Old 01-23-2013, 10:53 PM   #7

stepin and crawlin

ok not sure how this reply works ive sent a few but n ot sure to whom ,
so if this is a dupe so srry ,,, any how ill start a control series of checks to find out what's up there mus be a way to send a reply to multilple recipients ,,, ill poke around and see how that works ...
so if you get duplicate or mutiple replies in a short period of time plz be tollerant thnx- studonc=
Old 01-24-2013, 05:54 AM   #8

If you can manually move the steps with the motor arm still connected to the steps, the gearbox is failing. Normally, the resistance of the gears prevents moving the steps by hand. To move the steps by hand you would need to pull the pin/link between the arm and steps.
Old 01-24-2013, 04:38 PM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Regarding their web site. Actuant bought Kwikee and merged them into another company they bought called Power Gear.
They have some info on their site.

You can get a troubleshooting guide that Kwikee used to have on their site HERE
Old 01-24-2013, 05:03 PM   #10

You have a gear issue, they use a nylon gear set, it has likely stripped the teeth due to age wear and tear.
The gears can be damaged over time, when the step is jammed against a high kerb or other, or if not kept lubed and any other number of issues overloading the steps mid sweep.
When camped for a period, it pays to switch the steps to the open set position to reduce wear and tear caused by constant expansion/retraction.
Parts are easy to get and only basic mechanical skills are needed to replace them.
You should find a parts diagram at powergear.com
Have fun
Rusty
honkytonkinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 08:05 PM   #11

Rather than replace the motor with a Kwikee, you can use a drivers side electric window motor from a Ford Taurus. I did that a few years ago. You can try a search or just go to the car parts and pick a year.....I just don't remember.
Retired in Apple Valley, California
Rich and Cork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 08:53 PM   #12

We repaired one that did this.

Depending on how old the unit is, you probably have the newer one with the window motor.

Remove the gearbox with the motor, only a few bolts, one plug and the link.

Look at the Center shaft, it may be broken in the middle or worn out.

It can be made from a large bolt, or you may be able to order it.

Open the cover and the gear may have bad teeth, you may be able to flip it over and use the " fresh teeth"

You should have some 1/4 inch holes in the arms and steps that are for lock pins, can use a bolt to lock steps open or closed, works until you fix it.

Also handy to lock steps open to prevent them from bring closed and turned off...last step is a doozy..
Old 01-25-2013, 08:22 AM   #13

Here is one link

RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: KWIKEE STEP MOTOR REPLACEMENT SERIES 32-with photos
Retired in Apple Valley, California
Rich and Cork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 01:57 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceisla View Post
If you can manually move the steps with the motor arm still connected to the steps, the gearbox is failing. Normally, the resistance of the gears prevents moving the steps by hand. To move the steps by hand you would need to pull the pin/link between the arm and steps.
continuing along :
thanks for ur prompt reply : after some trouble shooting, i solved the electrial issues by re pluging in the 4 way pin connector , the unit just kept running as previously stated , so today i disconnected it again, and pulled the (window) motor (ford) took it apart after removing it, as suspected, the nylon drive gear was in tact and good condition ,having expierience with car window motors (ford) there are 3 gear plugs that cushion that drive gear ,they were disinegrated, as expected ; new motors are between 50 and 100 bucs , being a MCgiver type i called the local auto parts store and discovered they have "gear plugs kits" for $8.00 bucs , after a good cleaning and lube , reassembled the unit , reinstalled it and perfect quiet smooth success, all is good when its a quickie, kwikee repair about 1.5 hrs total plus travel time ..its a simple repair based on common sense.. hope others can benefit from this info
studonc-

Tags
kwikee