Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-07-2015, 11:53 AM   #15

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
mine messed up also. ended up replacing both the control module and motor. best price i got was from etrailer.com. works like a charm now. was not a big deal to replace, other than working on my back.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-07-2015, 05:00 PM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
+3 for AM Equipment Windshield Wiper Systems & Durable DC Motors
It was original equipment on our Winnebago. Still had the label on it so it was easy to track down who made it. Ours uses the same 214-1001 motor as Cliff mentioned above. Hardest part of replacement was removal and replacement of the trim strip between the steps and door bottom. ymmv
Al
on edit: Kwikee is now owned by Powergear http://www.powergearus.com/.
There are manuals available online but they vary with models and age. They should pop right up on a search.

Old 01-19-2015, 03:20 PM   #17

I ordered one motor on-line and thought it was the correct motor..........but! NOT!
Went to Auto Zone and they have ordered the Dorman 742-227..
The one I ordered, the gear would not come off the shaft in order for the one from my steps to go on. How is the gear on the 742-227 attached? will it come off easily?
Old 01-19-2015, 04:47 PM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Location: DW Driver -Winter Englewood FL, Summer Willingboro NJ
I wish you luck. I had that excentric arm crack. what a pain to replace. If you plan to remove the entire step assembly be aware that it is heavy. I still feel that these systems are made by junk yard mechanic
Old 01-19-2015, 08:00 PM   #19

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladagobago View Post
I wish you luck. I had that excentric arm crack. what a pain to replace. If you plan to remove the entire step assembly be aware that it is heavy. I still feel that these systems are made by junk yard mechanic
Couldn't agree more ! I reworked mine- took everything apart and lubed and it's working much better- But I have the brand X- WFCO steps on mine.
NHRA225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 02:25 AM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
I did mine on my Overland bus, it was a GM wiper motor, very easy to do! take the old one out, first make sure the power is indeed cut! Take the motor to your local parts house, have them match it up! If I remember correctly, I had to drill 1 hole and tap it, but not a big deal! It had the two holes that matched perfect, but the one was not drilled and threaded! Worked great after that motor was switched out! Rail!
Old 02-14-2015, 04:41 PM   #21

OK!! i got the new motor and installed it. now the problem is that it will extend all the way but will only retract about 2/3 of the way............???????????? I reversed the wiring.. same thing. I took the motor off and had the DW push the steps in all the way and re installed the motor..same thing.. I took the motor off and extended the steps and re-installed the motor........same thing..... am I just not holding my mouth right??? help please!!!!
Old 02-23-2015, 06:33 PM   #22

When I bought my new to me MH the linkage on the steps was broke and the steps were bent. I removed the four bolts on the stairs and took them into the garage, it's easier to work on this way than it is laying on the ground. I connected it to a 12 Vdc power supply to check it before I put them back in the coach.

Tags
kwikee, replace, replacement