Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-07-2009, 12:38 PM   #1

Cool Kwikee Step Problem

I have just purchased my first motorhome--91 bounder.

I am having a problem with kwikee steps. They will intermittently lock in the out position. I have had the unit off and on multiple times and have taken off the motor controll with the 3 screws. It appears that there is a binding of the gears, but after taking them off there does not appear to be a problem.

Any ideas? It will sometimes work for 20 or so times and then lock in the extended position. I have readjusted the cams according to the information on kwikee website--letting the stair extend and then puting the cams next to the arm so that there is no play in the gear train to ruin it.

I am wondering if there is aproblem in the motor gears rather than the step gears.

Thanks for any help, Kenn
kennpriebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-08-2009, 02:19 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
kennpriebe, welcome to iRV2.com. We are glad to have you join us here and we look forward to helping you get seasoned in the RV lifestyle. I am sure you will enjoy this website and forums.
I am sure you are aware that most steps can be switched on and off so the steps stay extended even with the door closed unless the ignition key is turned on? This could be an electrical issue also that should be eliminated from the diagnosing process.
Good luck and keep us posted.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 04:35 AM   #3

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Ken, sometimes the steps themselves have a bind that you might not perceive because you are new to MHs. I use spray white lithium on all of the pivot points a few times per year. If you disconnect the main pin (with power disonnected to the controller) you can feel the difference in how easy the steps operate after lubrication. Before I started doing that lubrication, I too, had intermittent problems with the step position.

The other thing I'd suggest is to clean the contact points for the grounds. On mine, there is a ground wire directly from the controller, under the step attachment area. There is a second ground wire on one side of the door switch wiring, in my case on the main chassis frame.

I hope this helps.

Charlie
chasfm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 05:09 AM   #4

Triple E Owners Club
Kenn,

It seems to me, after having similiar problems with mine, that the gears seem to lock up every so often. From what I have read you should (when it is operating) put the steps into a neutral position, then take the motor bolts off and the motor.

Now it seems that you need to remove one of the meshing gears, and rotate it slightly so that it is not in the same mesh pattern, then reassemble it with some lube, put the motor on again, and you should be good to go for a lot longer than a few times.

This procedure is written up here (I think), and on rv.net too and can be found by looking up Kwikee on either site in a search.

hope this helps....Mike
VI Roamers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 08:05 AM   #5

The problem with your Kwikee step is the motor. Napa part number is 655-1395, about $60.00. This motor is for a early 90's Ford Tarus power window. It is a direct replacement and will end you problems. I just did this repair to mine after messing with it for over a year, end of problem.

Allen
HENZEN9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 09:32 AM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I did what you did, moved the gears a bit and re-attached,, This way the motor stops at a different spot. Since then they have worked much better

The motor, by the way, is a common window riser motor, you can get a replacement from NAPA, take the old one in with you as there are two different motors, one Ford, one GM, that they use depending on the age of your steps.
Old 08-08-2009, 10:05 AM   #7

motor problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by HENZEN9 View Post
The problem with your Kwikee step is the motor. Napa part number is 655-1395, about $60.00. This motor is for a early 90's Ford Tarus power window. It is a direct replacement and will end you problems. I just did this repair to mine after messing with it for over a year, end of problem.

Allen
Thanks for the help. This is kind of what I figured, too. When I take the motor off the gear box, it clearly is in a binding position. I also read another piece of information on a website indicating that some kind of plastic gears in the bottom of the motor--not the metal gear box-- have some edges that get worn and then begin to stick. I just have to get the motor and try it. There was evidently a repair kit that was available at one time, but is no longer.

Thanks again.

Kenn
Old 08-12-2009, 06:58 AM   #8

hi there i had this problem with my stairs when i bought my 2005 greyhawk new
after about a few months there was a recall for that brand name of stairs and my dealer i had bought r v from r/r the stairs with a new set
greyhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 10:25 AM   #9

Thumbs up The step problem

Thanks to all that responded.

I did replace the motor unit with a used one and it has work now, for 3 days. I am hoping for the best.

I took apart the old one, removing the motor from the housing, down to the plastic parts under the snap ring. I could not identify anything wrong--but then I am not sure I would know.

Anyway, problem solved for now.

Kenn
Old 08-12-2009, 04:14 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
Kenpriebe...SacsTC reminded me about the similar problem we had with one of our Bounders.
It turns out there was an in-line fuse that was well hidden. He found it inside one of those black wire looms in an area above the batteries when you lift up the dash from the inside.open the hood from the outside. The loom was taped shut.
The fuse was not making a good connection all the time. We never had the problem again after he replaced the fuse & the holder.

Good Luck with your current fix being the problem!

On edit...see lined through correction!

MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote