Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-26-2006, 08:48 AM   #1

I just had to replace my 11 year old Kwikee step after having two people drive into it while it was open. The first time someone hit it I just cut off the bottom step and made it from a two step to a one step. This time they broke the actuator arm so the choice was a new arm and frame or a whole new step. Costs being what they are replacing the whole step made the best sense.

Camping World to the rescue and $349 I had the new step in hand.

No plug was present on the old step so I had to cut the four leads at the crimp connectors. Physical removal was via 4 5/16 inch flange nuts which air tools made short work of. The old step seemed like it wanted out it went so smooth and easy.

Putting the new one in was not too bad. I put a 1X10 accros the saddle of the floor jack and despite the instruction that it would be easier to install the step opened, I put the closed step on top, a few pumps and we were at the mounting studs. A little jostling and the studs lined up and another pump on the jack handle and everything was being firmly held in place. Got the four nuts started fairly easily even with the step closed and a deep socket on a 3/8" hand ratchet quickly got them snugged up. Slid the needed amount of shrink wrap on the new quick-connect provided by Kwikee and 4 splices later I was ready for the power test.

Open door steps closed, closed door steps opened. Got my reading glasses out and checked the fine print on the door switch and yes in 1999 Kwikee reversed the operation of the door switch the old step was a 1994/1995 style so I changed the switch to the new style magnetic one provided with the step and operation was flawless.

Took a couple of hours and now everything is as it should be. I will make sure that the steps are closed when we leave the coach and my vehicle is not there to block them from getting run into.

Neil

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-26-2006, 08:48 AM   #2

I just had to replace my 11 year old Kwikee step after having two people drive into it while it was open. The first time someone hit it I just cut off the bottom step and made it from a two step to a one step. This time they broke the actuator arm so the choice was a new arm and frame or a whole new step. Costs being what they are replacing the whole step made the best sense.

Camping World to the rescue and $349 I had the new step in hand.

No plug was present on the old step so I had to cut the four leads at the crimp connectors. Physical removal was via 4 5/16 inch flange nuts which air tools made short work of. The old step seemed like it wanted out it went so smooth and easy.

Putting the new one in was not too bad. I put a 1X10 accros the saddle of the floor jack and despite the instruction that it would be easier to install the step opened, I put the closed step on top, a few pumps and we were at the mounting studs. A little jostling and the studs lined up and another pump on the jack handle and everything was being firmly held in place. Got the four nuts started fairly easily even with the step closed and a deep socket on a 3/8" hand ratchet quickly got them snugged up. Slid the needed amount of shrink wrap on the new quick-connect provided by Kwikee and 4 splices later I was ready for the power test.

Open door steps closed, closed door steps opened. Got my reading glasses out and checked the fine print on the door switch and yes in 1999 Kwikee reversed the operation of the door switch the old step was a 1994/1995 style so I changed the switch to the new style magnetic one provided with the step and operation was flawless.

Took a couple of hours and now everything is as it should be. I will make sure that the steps are closed when we leave the coach and my vehicle is not there to block them from getting run into.

Neil

Old 02-26-2006, 09:47 AM   #3
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Neil, not to take anything away from your fine post, tuff when people hit your extended steps , I just want to add the bolt on gear plate that moves the actuator arm for moving steps is a soft bolt it will snap off if step hits a curb, or from a heavy person entering coach many times. Do use step support when camping.
My bolt broke on trip and had to tie up steps until CG stop. I replaced bolt with a 1/2"x2" stainless steel bolt. Old bolt head will pop out of drive plate, had to file down head of new bolt so it would glide in between gear plate and step mounting plate. The old bolt head had teeth in the head that grip the plate, used a lock washer and nylon lock nut to hold new bolt in place on plate.
The new bolt works just great if steps hit something on contact, curbs, etc, the actuator arm will brake, soft metal, but steps will not collape if someone heavy uses the steps. A safety facter in my case.

Thanks for your info Neil. "007"
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 03:00 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Great posting of the instalation. I do wonder wy anyone was that close to the coach to hit the step. Hope they do not hit the coach now that you keep the step up!
Old 03-01-2006, 01:51 PM   #5

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DSouthw524:
Great posting of the instalation. I do wonder wy anyone was that close to the coach to hit the step. Hope they do not hit the coach now that you keep the step up! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I was at Camping World in Sefner Florida a few weeks ago and it was a zoo in the parking lot. I had to drive around for half and hour before I found a space. When I got out of the store I found that someone had clipped me on the step I had left out.

I was shopping for a replacement barrel chair and got the last FlexSteel Captains Chair with base that was on sale. On my 95 Vectra it was just the right size and fit in like it grew there. A close friend came in later that day to see what was new and I told him to guess. He sat in the new chair for about 20 minutes before he gave in and had to ask. It was like he had recieved an electric shock when I told him he was sitting in it. The bolt pattern n the base matched the existing mount perfectly and I now have an extra high back reclining chair in a belted riding position.

Regards,

Neil