RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-09-2019, 12:18 PM   #1

Kwikee Steps Issue

Looking for some thoughts regarding where else I can check.

Last week on the way home from sanibel, we stopped for lunch. My wife opened the door to grab lunch while I stayed in the rig. She asked why aren’t the steps deploying? I thought for a moment and couldn’t derive a reason on the spot. I tried opening and closing the door a few times, turned ignition on and off, neither had any effect. I jumped out and said I would get our lunch and will look at it more after we eat.

I came back with the sandwiches, opened the door and to my surprise the steps deployed normally.

When we got home with the rig, the steps again would not deploy and have not since. I followed the Kwikee troubleshooting guide to check the vehicle side connections with a multimeter. They appear to be working properly. Also checked for loose ground connection from step wiring. That seems to be ok as well.

I do not have the pigtail to check the step motor and control box with a separate battery. With us heading back out with the coach so soon, I did not have time to order one and have it delivered.

I will be heading to Indiana for other warranty work and I have added this to the list of items. Would be nice if I could get it working before then. Using a small step ladder to get in and out of the coach is getting old quick as we are once again on the road heading north.

Any thoughts why it worked one more time when we stopped for lunch? Any other areas where a connection may be loose or blown fuse other than the step wiring harnesses?

Thanks for your help.

Festag1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-09-2019, 12:21 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Check connections and wiring. Check door magnets. Maybe motor failing - next it fails, tap the motor and see if it starts working.

Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 12:38 PM   #3

Thanks. I did check the magnets as well by holding another magnet up to door switch. I could hear some clicking noise when holding the magnet to the door switch. Will try the hammer tap when I get back to the coach tonight.
Old 07-09-2019, 01:32 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Make sure you have power to the motor first if not follow it back to the controller and see if you have power there You don't need a seperate battery. Just find the hot wire. if you find it you can jump to the motor terminal and see if it works. If it does then you have a conroler problem. you can then get a two way monetary switch. Positive in the middle and power to either side. Make a temporary switch and manually operate the steps. one way will be out and the other in.
Old 07-10-2019, 09:07 PM   #5

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Wild guess might be sticky solenoids or cube relays, but intermittent motor brushes are another possibility? Solenoids/ cube relays (cubes I just got a $10, 6pk w/ pigtails sockets) can be $10/ each AMAZON; NEW STEPS can be $300-$600?
Old 07-11-2019, 09:08 AM   #6

All the previous suggestions assume you have been lubing the steps monthly as recommended by Kwikee. The controller operates by sensing current high resistance. if the steps move hard or bind, that will cause the controller to cut the ground circuit(12V+ is always energized) to prevent movement.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 09:51 AM   #7

Absolutely,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0773.JPG
Views:	3
Size:	72.9 KB
ID:	252914  
Old 07-11-2019, 10:03 AM   #8

Here's what's been happening to me (I think). Since installing wrap-around carpets on the steps, mine have been getting jammed in the up position, probably because the carpet is getting lodged behind something. Since they don't immediately open up when told to, the controller tells the motor to stop trying after about half of a second. What I've done when this happens is remove the three bolts that hold the motor on (not an easy task with the steps up). With the motor off, I'm able to push the steps down.

This time around, instead of just reinstalling the motor and hoping for the best, I removed the little rubber stoppers underneath the top step and used their holes to install some hex bolts and nuts in their place that will stop the steps from retracting quite as far. Then I put everything back together. So now the steps come up almost as far as they used to, and hopefully they won't get jammed in the up position anymore.

So far, so good, but I'll keep everyone posted if I have any more problems.

Thanks,
MathComp
Old 07-11-2019, 10:55 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathComp View Post
Here's what's been happening to me (I think). Since installing wrap-around carpets on the steps, mine have been getting jammed in the up position, probably because the carpet is getting lodged behind something. Since they don't immediately open up when told to, the controller tells the motor to stop trying after about half of a second. What I've done when this happens is remove the three bolts that hold the motor on (not an easy task with the steps up). With the motor off, I'm able to push the steps down.

This time around, instead of just reinstalling the motor and hoping for the best, I removed the little rubber stoppers underneath the top step and used their holes to install some hex bolts and nuts in their place that will stop the steps from retracting quite as far. Then I put everything back together. So now the steps come up almost as far as they used to, and hopefully they won't get jammed in the up position anymore.

So far, so good, but I'll keep everyone posted if I have any more problems.

Thanks,
MathComp
I have the thick plastic brush material on my bottom step, it is too thick to work on the top step. If you have the carpet on the top step, move it to the bottom and see if steps work properly.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 06:05 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
You may want to read through my post from 2 weeks ago... had a step failure and in my case it turned out to be a pretty simple free fix. Kwikee Step… failure and troubleshooting experience
Good luck... hope it helps.
Old 07-13-2019, 06:40 AM   #11

Thanks for all the suggestions. I have in fact been lubricating the steps monthly as recommended. I will be in NJ in a few days and will try a few more things once I am there. If that fails, then I will just deal with the steps until I get to Fleetwood for other non related warranty work. The y have already authorized repair of the steps once I get there.

Tags
kwikee, steps