Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-05-2016, 07:55 PM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Lack of insulation in foward cap

I have a Fleetwood pace arrow 38P and I was working in the television compartment area and noted a lack of insulation. I could see the fiberglass cap? My previous motorhome had solid foam insulation. I was wondering what I could put up in cap. I thought I would like to glue (secure) panels or bat?? Bat insulation Is what I can see it just doesn't cover front?

Thanks Gene

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-05-2016, 08:05 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geneandea View Post
I have a Fleetwood pace arrow 38P and I was working in the television compartment area and noted a lack of insulation. I could see the fiberglass cap? My previous motorhome had solid foam insulation. I was wondering what I could put up in cap. I thought I would like to glue (secure) panels or bat?? Bat insulation Is what I can see it just doesn't cover front?

Thanks Gene
Had the same situation in my 2008 Itasca Cambria 29H , discovered when I removed the OEM TV to replace with a 32" LED model. I insulated with fiberglass bat without vapor barrier. I dressed the 12 volt wires by taping them to the cap and then I used craft spray glue to tack the insulation to the cap. Worked fine. Insulating the cap made the RV more comfortable in both hot and cold times.

Update: Make sure your RV is VERY well ventilated when using that craft spray glue the fumes are nasty. Be VERY careful with it it is a pain to clean up if it gets on something you did not want it on

powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 08:16 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Did the same thing to my coach. I have a 2002 Monaco Windsor. It had no insulation in the front cap. While I had the TV to replace I took some bat insulation and shoved it in both directions passenger & drivers side. There was enough stuff to hold it in position. It made a big difference as to the amount of heat that radiates out during hot sunny days.

I did see one post where someone took out all the overhead cabinets and then sprayed foam across the whole front. It probably did a lot better then what I did but I'm not that ambitious.
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 05:35 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
same
jimbo2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 07:11 AM   #5
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Gene, when I was removing the old TV from above the dash I put Reflectix foil and thick fiberglass home insulation as far across as I could reach. I put the Reflectix against the fiberglass and the fiberglass under that.

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 09:59 AM   #6

I insulated My 08 Pace Arrow behind the TV It did take some time cutting and fitting, and pushing. I used insulation called Rockul. It repels water, fire proof, and does not support mold or fungal growth. I filled behind the TV and behind the speaker area and electronic cabinets. I was also able to stuff some around the corner and down the sides of the cap behind the wood above driver and passenger upper cabinets.

Roxul ComfortBatt

I also used the same insulation under the dash.
I Insulated the "Dash" way to much work but it works.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00059.jpeg
Views:	93
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	115823  
Dougsee3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 11:16 AM   #7
HGC

Lack of insulation

We have the same problem w/ our Tiffin36LA.I plan to pull the front tv and place vat Denim insulation we bought (on order) from Home Depot. Also there is some loud impact noise coming from that waste of space area and through the forums have found that Tiffin has a tone of cable connections and excess cable stuffed in that cavity(and a lot of connections). Hope it solves the banging problem when going over expansion joints on the road. But I heard of the denim vat insulation from another forum reader. Seems the denim doesn't have the "itch" nature of fiberglass.
Old 01-06-2016, 06:10 PM   #8

I used bats that had the plastic covering on them. Sprayed glue on fiberglass, stuck the bats to it. Then, sprayed glue on bats and put nice plastic vapor barrier over that. Kind of overkill but read a couple of posts where the front insulation "just shoved in there" ended up soaked like a sponge and moldy.
Old 01-08-2016, 10:04 AM   #9

Defiantly the manufactures have not insulated the cap properly. Part I guess the units are not really meant for cold winter conditions. As I was insulating My cap in the winter at 23 to 5degrees F (-5 to -15 C ?) and could feel the difference as I worked. The air conditioning works much better as well. There are some good sound qualities as well.

I was not fond of using Fibreglass because of the itch factor and had not a way of a proper moisture barrier in my coach cap. The Denim is is interesting but the batting is so much thinner it would have been more labour and cost much more to fill the cap as much as i did. Although the Denim has similar traits to the Roxul it is the moisture water repel that hopefully is a better for my cap.

The Roxul was cut and fit snugly in the front cap cavity. I was able to cut and fit I think 11 to 11.5 of the 12 batts in the cap. This made the insulation from at least 8" to 12" and almost 16" behind the TV. It is way better than what was from Fleetwood as what was up there had little but no vapour barrier or insulation.

As the Roxul repels water and has low moisture sorption and tends not to loose its R value if damp. As I have camped and or heated my unit but only for a week at 0 to -30 degrees Fahrenheit with no problems that i could see. Not to say I will not have problems but it has been 3 years so far and things look and smell good. I was hoping with that much insulation and the water shedding properties that it will self dry during the day and will not be a issue in the summer for sure.

Roxul
Easily cut
Non-combustible
Excellent sound absorbency
Does not rot
Does not promote growth of fungi or mildew
Low moisture sorption
Chemically inert; non-corrosive
Water resistant
Old 01-08-2016, 02:53 PM   #10

How are you all getting access to the front cap? I don't have a tv up there... Mid ship mounted tv. I have looked and the only way I can see would to probably involve removing all of the cabinets etc above the driver and passenger seats. I can't really determine how they are mounted as I only see a few screws. There must be more to it then that?
Anyone insulated a Holiday Rambler Endeavor or similar and had to deal with removing and reinstalling the front cabinets?

Thank you, Brian.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 01-08-2016, 03:01 PM   #11

Nor'easters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Lack of insulation in foward cap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougsee3 View Post
Defiantly the manufactures have not insulated the cap properly. Part I guess the units are not really meant for cold winter conditions. As I was insulating My cap in the winter at 23 to 5degrees F (-5 to -15 C ?) and could feel the difference as I worked. The air conditioning works much better as well. There are some good sound qualities as well.

I was not fond of using Fibreglass because of the itch factor and had not a way of a proper moisture barrier in my coach cap. The Denim is is interesting but the batting is so much thinner it would have been more labour and cost much more to fill the cap as much as i did. Although the Denim has similar traits to the Roxul it is the moisture water repel that hopefully is a better for my cap.

The Roxul was cut and fit snugly in the front cap cavity. I was able to cut and fit I think 11 to 11.5 of the 12 batts in the cap. This made the insulation from at least 8" to 12" and almost 16" behind the TV. It is way better than what was from Fleetwood as what was up there had little but no vapour barrier or insulation.

As the Roxul repels water and has low moisture sorption and tends not to loose its R value if damp. As I have camped and or heated my unit but only for a week at 0 to -30 degrees Fahrenheit with no problems that i could see. Not to say I will not have problems but it has been 3 years so far and things look and smell good. I was hoping with that much insulation and the water shedding properties that it will self dry during the day and will not be a issue in the summer for sure.

Roxul

Easily cut

Non-combustible

Excellent sound absorbency

Does not rot

Does not promote growth of fungi or mildew

Low moisture sorption

Chemically inert; non-corrosive

Water resistant

I can't verify from personal experience, but I read somewhere that rodents will not burrow/tunnel through this insulation. It seems like a much better choice than the fiberglass batts in my walls and ceiling, and I'm going to try it when I reassemble my bedroom.

Mike
2000 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 40PBD
Freghtliner XC, CAT 3126B
slowmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 03:45 PM   #12
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
That's not what I found when I changed my TV

See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 01:49 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmachine View Post
I can't verify from personal experience, but I read somewhere that rodents will not burrow/tunnel through this insulation. It seems like a much better choice than the fiberglass batts in my walls and ceiling, and I'm going to try it when I reassemble my bedroom.

Mike
2000 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 40PBD
Freghtliner XC, CAT 3126B
From there website.

ARE ROXUL PRODUCTS RODENT RESISTANT?
There is no test method to determine whether or not any product is rodent resistant. ROXUL’s reputation as a rodent-resistant insulation is mainly based on word of mouth and lack of negative feedback from numerous customers who use our products in “cottage country”.