Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-26-2015, 05:33 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Ladder Storage OK?

I've seen quite a few videos and photos of people using their rear ladder for carrying an additional ladder, chairs and bikes.

How much weight can you trust is safe on the ladder? Bouncing on rough roads would increase the forces to probably many more pounds than we weight.

I have a Little Giant that weights in at 45lbs, would this be safe or over the top?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-26-2015, 07:39 PM   #2

I expect 45# would be just fine, but the vibration will eventually take its toll on the mounting points. Personally I think coaches start to look junky with a bunch of stuff tied to them, but a lot of people do it.
alank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 07:47 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
I recently acquired a bike rack for the ladder. I am currently using it but I too am concerned on the long term use. My 2 bikes weigh 20 lbs & 32 lbs So I suspect with the weight of the bikes, rack & straps I have 55 lbs there. I am working on a way to mount the bikes to my car hauler, it will make them easier to mount, access, & store when we are parked. We just finished a 1500 mile trip with the bikes on the ladder rack with no problem & I can see them with my rear view camera. There was no movement at all. I have them very tightly secured.
Old 06-27-2015, 11:03 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by alank View Post
I expect 45# would be just fine, but the vibration will eventually take its toll on the mounting points. Personally I think coaches start to look junky with a bunch of stuff tied to them, but a lot of people do it.
Other than the fact that I don't agree with the 45# part, the rest of this answer is right on! Without getting too technical, there is what's called "Static" load and, "Dynamic" load.

Static load is, hanging that 45# ladder on your coach, and not driving it anywhere. Dynamic load is, that 45# ladder is now 55#-60# each and every time you hit a bump, pot hole, concrete seam in a freeway, drive way etc. You see, we all weigh our weight, statically as we stand in one place. But, if we JUMP and land on something, we weigh considerably more during that landing. So, those mounting points on your coach ladder, are seriously tested each and every time you hit a bump etc.

We don't hang anything on our ladder. It's not made for that kind of tormentation. I don't care how many do it, to me, it looks just like Jed Clampett (pretty sure most of you know who that is) cruising down the road. There are multiple ways to carry ladders and, there are also multiple kinds of ladders that fold up, collapse and otherwise, GET SMALLER for storage that, there's no need to hang them back there.

But, it's amazing to me that folks pay a substantial amount for a very nice coach, and even a nice (and expensive) toad, only to screw it all up by hanging a bunch of junk i.e. bikes, ladders, chairs, other stuff, all over the rear ladder. OH well, it's their coach. Their choice.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 12:00 PM   #5

Ya, and I'll never figure out why some folks buy a perfectly good batch of fries and then screw them all up with Ketchup.
Sorry, I already used this one on another thread but just couldn't resist in this case.
Old 06-27-2015, 02:09 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis45 View Post
Ya, and I'll never figure out why some folks buy a perfectly good batch of fries and then screw them all up with Ketchup.
Sorry, I already used this one on another thread but just couldn't resist in this case.
Fries look and taste better with ketchup.
Old 06-27-2015, 02:30 PM   #7

Yeah, I prefer vinegar on my fries.
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 02:40 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
Other than the fact that I don't agree with the 45# part, the rest of this answer is right on! Without getting too technical, there is what's called "Static" load and, "Dynamic" load.

Static load is, hanging that 45# ladder on your coach, and not driving it anywhere. Dynamic load is, that 45# ladder is now 55#-60# each and every time you hit a bump, pot hole, concrete seam in a freeway, drive way etc. You see, we all weigh our weight, statically as we stand in one place. But, if we JUMP and land on something, we weigh considerably more during that landing. So, those mounting points on your coach ladder, are seriously tested each and every time you hit a bump etc.

We don't hang anything on our ladder. It's not made for that kind of tormentation. I don't care how many do it, to me, it looks just like Jed Clampett (pretty sure most of you know who that is) cruising down the road. There are multiple ways to carry ladders and, there are also multiple kinds of ladders that fold up, collapse and otherwise, GET SMALLER for storage that, there's no need to hang them back there.

But, it's amazing to me that folks pay a substantial amount for a very nice coach, and even a nice (and expensive) toad, only to screw it all up by hanging a bunch of junk i.e. bikes, ladders, chairs, other stuff, all over the rear ladder. OH well, it's their coach. Their choice.
Scott
I'm already aware of the differences between static and dynamic loads which is why I asked the question. So restating the question, how much dynamic load does 45 lbs create and can the ladder handle that weight? The ladder must be able to handle an adult's weight, so then does the dynamic weight of 45 lbs in a moving bouncing rig exceed that?

But since this is also not a weight that only applies a force in one direction, due to the bouncing that dynamic weight will be applied in multiple directions and will vary the weight depending on forces applied in that direction.

I would liked to hear from others who have used their ladder for carrying bikes and ladders and if they have had any issues.

I will be full time soon and want a reliable and strong ladder that is not only an extension ladder but a step ladder. The included step ladder with my rig is not tall enough and I've heard and read those accordion type ladders are death traps. I need the internal space as I will be carrying more as a full timer. If experience says this is a bad idea, I will store it in the storage bay.

As for the looks of it, that really was not the question at all. But I agree that some go overboard and throw stuff up on the roof too and hang all kinds of gear off the stern. Including toads with all kinds of stuff on it and in it. I feel that this ladder strapped in tightly looks pretty well and not junkie at all. My roommate thought it would look bad too, but she said that it does look good. Sometimes necessity out weights vanity.

So I will have some ketchup on my fries.
Old 06-27-2015, 02:46 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasA View Post
Yeah, I prefer vinegar on my fries.
My roommate likes mayonnaise
Old 06-27-2015, 06:29 PM   #10

I would liked to hear from others who have used their ladder for carrying bikes and ladders and if they have had any issues.

I will be full time soon and want a reliable and strong ladder that is not only an extension ladder but a step ladder. The included step ladder with my rig is not tall enough and I've heard and read those accordion type ladders are death traps. I need the internal space as I will be carrying more as a full timer. If experience says this is a bad idea, I will store it in the storage bay.

As for the looks of it, that really was not the question at all. But I agree that some go overboard and throw stuff up on the roof too and hang all kinds of gear off the stern. Including toads with all kinds of stuff on it and in it. I feel that this ladder strapped in tightly looks pretty well and not junkie at all. My roommate thought it would look bad too, but she said that it does look good. Sometimes necessity out weights vanity.

So I will have some ketchup on my fries. [/QUOTE]

Ugh, Ketchup, soggy fries, gross.
Closer to the topic, I have carried a 6' Aluminum step ladder for a few years hung on my ladder with a bracket I bought from Camping World. I have it hung upside down so it does not interfere with opening of the engine hatch. I have a HD Bungee Cord to keep it steady and a Cable Type Cycle Lock so nobody steals it, as happened to a friend. So far the ladder brackets have not come loose so I'll continue not using Ketchup on my fries and carrying my step ladder on the MH Ladder. BTW, I carry it because it cannot put my front and side sunscreens on without it.
Old 06-27-2015, 09:40 PM   #11

i tie my ladder to the ladder with fries covered in ketchup
Old 06-27-2015, 09:59 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
I have carried a lightweight aluminum stepladder for several seasons without incident.. I do agree it looks tacky, but handy.
Old 06-28-2015, 06:15 AM   #13

Workhorse Chassis Owner
The ladder on my MH is rated at 250# and I have a ladder mounted bike carrier that I hang my ladder on. IMHO I don't think a 25# ladder will harm it.
speed racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 06:37 AM   #14

I'm sure you would be hard pressed to get a 45lbs latter on anything else of that static weight to cause any damage to your 250lbs rated coach mounted latter.

Hang what you need back there, just keep an eye on the mounting bolts, rivets, or what ever is securing your latter.

Also, the ride in that area is not that dramatic as to bounce anything much anyway, at least I know this to be the case on a DP.
Dtwallace is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
storage