Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-29-2015, 08:07 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
Large side window heat gain

In our new to us coach, we have a very large side window ( which we love) that has small solder window at the bottom. It is all black in color. We recently had a problem while camping in West Texas with heat gain. The two biggest factors being facing West, and nothing on the windshield. I will address both of those conditions next time. I was wondering about heat gain in the summer and heat loss in the winter from this large side window. It has MCD shades, both the daytime and solid night,

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-29-2015, 08:13 AM   #2

About the only thing that works in high summer is having external shades to stop the sunlight reaching the window - not only direct sunlight, but heat reflected and radiated from the ground.
Same for the windscreen.

Internal shades help of course, but once the heat is through the glass, the greenhouse effect keeps it there and much of the heat eventually ends up inside the RV anyway.

Old 06-29-2015, 06:46 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Tony Lee is right about heat gain. I have added Magneshade magnetic window covers on the outside of the windows that have the biggest heat gain for me: the entry door, the driver's side window and the windshield. They make custom shades that attach using magnets so are easy to put on and take down. I also have the MCD shades, day and night both. My temperature gun showed a 18 degree drop in 20 minutes after installing the windshield cover when facing into the sun at one park. Since my biggest heat problem is up front with those big huge windows, this has really made a difference in comfort in the summer heat of the south. Well worth the price to me. Takes me about 3 minutes to put all three shades up when we park, takes less than a minute for all 3 to come down.
Melmoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 07:36 PM   #4

Heat/UV resistant "ceramic" film applied to inside of Windows. 3M. Works shades up or down.
Old 06-29-2015, 08:10 PM   #5

3M or Madico ceramic heat/UV/IR resistant film. Works shades up or down. No ugly tinfoil shades...
Old 06-29-2015, 10:24 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Crows View Post
3M or Madico ceramic heat/UV/IR resistant film. Works shades up or down. No ugly tinfoil shades...
Perhaps illegal to put on front windows???
Old 06-30-2015, 06:58 AM   #7

No Tony. Use clear/no tint for windshield. Darker tint may be used above the A/S line. Door glass follows auto regs for max tint or what you prefer. W/S film has been nearly undetectable on both my applications. I have a light tint in the door glass.

Texas allows solar resistant films for medical reasons and if memory serves for ballistic reasons. It's similar to the film used to keep window glass from causing injuries in buildings.

On W/S a minor downside is that at certain sun angles some colors are not true or appear slightly magenta or purple due to some of the natural spectrum being absorbed in the film and the slant of the W/S. Road surfaces in Arkansas, for example, look to have a magenta mirage at certain angles. Weird but not objectionable.

Glass is a great conductor of heat & cold & black glass can really heat up in direct sunlight. Glass easily passes IR & UV. A quality ceramic film can cut that transfer down to ~ 90% or more. Inside shades will help with the heat transfer.

What you feel... In the cockpit, you bake under the greenhouse no matter what the AC is set on. I'm a fair skin Laddie and I can feel the sun cooking my arms as if I were outside. You get hot & sweaty. With ceramic film you don't. It cuts the insane intense glare when heading into the sun making your eyes less tired.

"Nano-Metallized" film may also work but at the risk of reducing your cell phone and GPS reception with an internal antenna.
Old 06-30-2015, 08:15 AM   #8

DGBPokes
We have no experience in Texas or the West and for sure the outside windshield covers work best for reducing heat from windshield. That said, we went here:Welcome
and I am sure there are many other places in the country. We made a pattern of the inside of our windshield and cut the fabric we bought from Beasley's, used their suction cups and on all but the warmest days even at the beach here in Florida, we can keep our cool and still see out the windshield. As long as we have 50 amps for both a/c's to run. Also, we have made shades for the upper static (non-sliding) section of the driver's window to keep me from frying as I drive with the sun coming in from that side. Made a shade for the door window, too. It matches the color of the dash as well as one of the exterior colors of our coach. Besides being much less expensive, we have to wind to fight with or ladder to fall off, and best of all, no wet cover to put somewhere when it rains just before leaving the campground. Might want to try this first if you enjoy looking out your windshield and even if you have to close the drapes during the hottest part of the day, you might find it works fine for you in most situations. If not, you aren't out $50, and can always buy the outer cover later. This is the same fabric to buy for a patio cover outside that won't kill the grass and is not heavy even when wet. We found a use for it at home as we have a covered swing with a metal roof built over it using leftover metal from when we had our home roof redone in metal. In the late afternoon the sun shines very brightly right into the eyes of 'swingers', so we made a 'veil' of this material that drops down from the metal roof to just below eye level. Plus you can still see through it. Did I mention its cheap? I am. Good luck!

Tags
heat, window