Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-19-2013, 06:03 PM   #1

Late model LED replacements?

I've tried searching led threads, but have come up with nothing that discusses what I am looking for. For that reason I have decided to start a new thread.The reason I specify "Late model" is because its now 2013 and the threads I see are last replied to in 2011 at the latest.

What I'd like to cover and discuss in this thread are:

Price
Lumen
Wattage
Quality (dependability)
Sources
Compatibility

I have chose to replace all of my 1141 bulbs with LEDs which I have about 40 of through out our 04' Flair 33R. I did this because of the luck I have had in my house. I have two identical rooms with only the lights different. One is lit with 6x7.5 watt LEDs (45w total)and the other is 6x100w Incandescent (600w total). The interesting part is they are the same brightness! I went ahead and ordered these:

20led Bright white (turn blue after five minutes...)
20x 1156 BA15S P21W 1129 Car White 22 1206 SMD LED Tail Signal Light Lamp Bulb | eBay

and these:

50led (also turn blue)
4pcs 1156 BA15S 1206 50 SMD Pure White Back Up Reverse Tail Light Lamp Bulb 12V | eBay

I want to try some of the led boards that use double stick adhesive on the back, but heard they have adhesive problems causing a fire hazard. These are the ones I am interested in:

10pcs White 1156 1141 BA15S Dome Bulb 24 5050 SMD LED Light Boards Super Bright | eBay

The other problem I had was the 1141 led's didnt even work in about 15% of my fixtures. I am assuming it is because of a voltage variance. Has anyone else had this issue? What are your thoughts?

Thanks in advance,
Josh

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-19-2013, 06:17 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club

The bulbs you list are 6500-7000K which is very blue. 5275K is equal to sunlight, 3800K is called 'Super White,' Halogen light is 3200K and an incandescent bulb is 2600K. While I can tolerate super white, I find the 6500K too harsh. I spent too many years working under fluorescent classroom lights to be relaxed in blue-violet light.
Did the LEDs that didn't work work in another location? How about changing polarity? LEDs are easy to overpower, do you know if they had built in limiting resistors or not? Without resistors, LEDs don't last long.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 09:57 PM   #3

BFlinn181,

Thanks for the welcome. As it turns out you were very helpful. I didn't realize the posting had a kelvin rating on it, but I will look out for those when choosing the in the future.

After doing a bit of trouble shooting I found that the LEDs and light fixtures work separately, but not together. Lets see if you can tell from the picture attached if it's installed in the correct polarity... Ill be fixing this on at least six fixtures.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.PNG
Views:	101
Size:	1.41 MB
ID:	33813  
Old 02-19-2013, 10:10 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Black color wire are mainly POS but some has been used for grounds also and the white is the NEG you can take a meter and check the wires the meter will show if your correct
Old 02-19-2013, 10:42 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightriderrv View Post
Black color wire are mainly POS but some has been used for grounds also and the white is the NEG you can take a meter and check the wires the meter will show if your correct

Just went out and checked with a voltmeter to be sure. It's definitely wired backwards.
Old 02-19-2013, 11:35 PM   #6

Has anyone recently converted to LEDs?

Btw, here's a picture of the "blue" I was talking about. I'm still happy and could live with it, but would prefer to need to wear sunglasses inside. I will be upgrading shortly. I just want to nail one down so I can replace every 1141 or 1156 in our 34' motorhome as well as our 31' travel trailer. Hopefully this discussion will also help find specs to replace every light in both RVs and our Ford Excursion. I've got a habit of closing doors too lightly and draining the battery.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3194768714.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	468.7 KB
ID:	33815  
Cavemahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 12:15 AM   #7

I've converted all internal lights to LEDs, and installed two 10W flood lights on my rear bumper. I went with 6000K, as I think those seem brighter.

I couldn't be happier. I have ordered two 27W 4" x 4" exterior lights one of which will wind up on the right side as a way to see the side of the road in fog. The other I'm not sure.

Couldn't be happier with them, however. If I leave something on, as I tend to do, my batteries are still alive in the morning.
Old 02-20-2013, 12:52 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
We replaced the dome light Bulb with LED in our Chevy tracker (toad) and it is a nice, bright upgrade that saves our battery if we do an oops and leave it on. putco 231125 was our dome light.
wanderso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 06:57 AM   #9

This is a repost of a my post to a similar question.
Posting this for those that missed it. Until it becomes a STICKY, I guess I keep reposting.

The bulbs I used for the pucks are 12x 5050 SMD, which is the most one can pack on a disk that will fit the fixture. Some are selling replacements that have only 6 or 9 chips. Of course 12 = more light. The 5050 LEDs are brighter than the 3528 LEDs that many are using. Yes, they dim.
I replaced every bulb in my coach (running lights/tail aready LED). My coach has the intellitec switching system with dimmers and all the LED's dim just as the halogens did. Buying in lots of 100, the puck replacements were $2.53 ea. including shipping. Be sure you get non polarized ones. I used the vendor AprilTang on DHgate. Good people.
3528 refers to 3.5mm x 2.8mm.
The 5050 emits about 3 times the light as the 3528 led.
Polarized means negative to negative and positive to positive connections required to work the light.
Non polarized means can be cross wired and will work either way.
Non polarized is accomplished by the addition of a bridge recifier usually mounted on the back of the board. Some rectifiers are larger than others and may obstruct when mounting in puck lights. The fixture can be removed and re-wired to correct polarity.
Warm white Leds are about 4500 kelvins, where bright whites are about 6500k. Natural white is in the middle, but harder to find. Watch out for the bright whites, brighter light, but bluish light and "cold". The 10w halogens like those found in many RV lights are around 3200K.
The G4 replacements for puck lights are side pins and the bulb cannot be turned around to correct polarity issues as one can with other types of bi-pin bulbs.
Bayonet base leds are polarized, but the bulb fits only one way (1157 double contact) or makes no difference in 1141 single contact.
Most LEDs are dimmable.
Hope this is of use to those converting to LEDs.
I recommend it.
Old 02-20-2013, 07:21 AM   #10

Thor Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
I ordered some of these and am in the process of replacing my 1141 bulbs in my RV:

10x BA15S 1156 1141 Dome Bulb 36 1210 SMD LED Warm White | eBay

They are brighter and cooler than the stock 1141 bulbs. I don't believe that the double sided tape that comes with them will cause a fire. The only issue that I hav had is that you have to use epoxy or super glue to supplement the double sided tape or the board will come loose in the fixture. The light is the same color as the stock bulbs and I am about to order 10 more so that I can complete changing out all fixtures in my rig.
Old 02-20-2013, 08:00 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavemahn View Post
10pcs White 1156 1141 BA15S Dome Bulb 24 5050 SMD LED Light Boards Super Bright | eBay

The other problem I had was the 1141 led's didnt even work in about 15% of my fixtures. I am assuming it is because of a voltage variance. Has anyone else had this issue? What are your thoughts?

Thanks in advance,
Josh
I have bought from this place with good luck.
EBAY 10pcs 24 5050 LEDs.
They also have a warm white.
The lights that do not work may have the + and - wire reversed. Just swap the wiring to fixture.
Old 02-20-2013, 09:13 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Here are some other places to check. We got some of the replacements for the ThinLites from Marine Beam and they are very bright but there is a little rewiring involved.
Marinebeam Replacement LED bulbs for your existing boat fixtures
usLEDsupply - Your source for High Tech RGB color LED lights, DMX controllers, and LED lighting supplies at wholesale prices.
www.superlumination.com Tail Light Brake Light Turn Signal LED Bulbs
Old 02-20-2013, 09:58 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebreeze View Post
I ordered some of these and am in the process of replacing my 1141 bulbs in my RV:

10x BA15S 1156 1141 Dome Bulb 36 1210 SMD LED Warm White | eBay
Lol, those were already in my cart, however the description says 200lm. I thought the stock 1141 was 300lm. They are a last resort if I can't find a lower price. I think your testimony has made me feel better about going the panel route.
Old 04-19-2013, 11:26 PM   #14

I went with some 24 x 5050 led boards in warm and they are SOOO cool. They're about 4 watts each and much brighter than the stock incandecents at just over 400 lumens.

I also added shelving and LED strips in there to get the light I to each shelf.

Ill add a pic when I get to my pc

Cavemahn is offline   Reply With Quote