Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-01-2012, 02:41 PM   #1

Leaf Springs

My 2000 Gulfstream Capri Class C, 24 foot, leans a bit to the passenger side. When I was in Mass. last winter having a bit of brake work done, the shop foreman pointed that out to me [I already noticed it] and said, "Looks like you might have a tired leaf spring there." I agreed and said, "Perhaps I need to fix that next time I come through." Nine months went by. I took the rig to my local mechanic [Murray Harbour PEI CA] and asked him if he could do something for me by way of a new leaf spring or air bag or spacer. He measured each side of the rig and told me it was only off by 1 inch or so. To him, it wasn't worth doing anything.
My questions to you experienced RV-ers:
1. My rig pulls a bit to the left. Could that have anything to do w/a tired leaf spring on the right side of the rig? If you think it's something else, could you suggest what problem that might be?
2. Do you think there are any repercussions from neglecting a tired leaf spring? In other words, if I don't do anything about this, will I see other problems later?
3. I get my wheels aligned every year, and I am planning to get them aligned again soon. Am I throwing away money by doing an alignment when I have a slight passenger side lean that I'm not going to fix?
Thanks for your response.
Siebrands is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-01-2012, 02:47 PM   #2

Get it weighed and/or move the heavy stuff to the left/high side.

An alignment shop may not touch it until the problem is fixed.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 03:12 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
a fatigued spring could be an easy fix...with just a shim. I agree with the poster above... you need detailed corner weight before you start fixing the suspension. Fully loaded with water and both holding tanks, propane, etc.
WeatherTodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 03:28 PM   #4

If weight balance doesn't work, go to a truck service center and ask who can re-arc a leaf spring or Google truck springs for your area.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 03:37 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Had a similar problem with my Fleetwood. After many months where the dealer tried to fix, they even swapped springs proven it was not the spring. Fleetwood factory added a rubber shim. Lean was gone. Now I drove this MH a full season this way and NEVER had a driving issue, pulling ect. The last time I had a driving / pulling issue it was the front left shock.
cc8375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 04:38 PM   #6

I'll tell my wife that you suggested she move to the other side! LOL
Siebrands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 05:29 PM   #7

Get it fixed correctly!

If you had a qualified person actually measure the spring and determine one side was an inch difference from the other one you have work to do.

As others have stated get a 4 corner weight and verify the loading, if possible get the ends close, axle ends should be close, LF=RF, LR=RR.

Get some sand bags for temporary to get the corners close.

Now you measure the springs, equal weight on each side of an axle should have equal dimensions.

Re-arching a spring is like trying to wake the dead horse, the spring is dead.

There is a fair amount of labor to get the spring out, the spring is not cheap, but the cost to work an old spring not much different from replacement.

Adding a shim MAY be ok, but make sure you have a qualified shop who know what they are doing explain exactly what the mod will do, they can show the specification sheet indicating the "as built" capacity and the "as modified" capacity.

There are places that specialize in springs and suspensions, one option is to replace the bad leaf, and possibly replace it with a bigger one, or add one, would need to do same on both sides, and even though you may be increasing the capacity of the springs you are still limited to the wheel bearings, tires and wheels for actual capacity.

I a past life the company I worked for would buy 1/2 ton vans and load them up with gear, they were sloppy to drive in the hills, we went where roads were just a thought.

We would have a leaf added, made the ride a little stiff but no more looseness on curves, made the handling much better.

Take your time, do your home work and do it correctly!
Old 10-02-2012, 02:34 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

I doubt if an inch difference is causing your rig to pull. It can be an inch off most anytime, simply due to loading or a high center road or banked road or...

I suspect you have a different problem causing the pull, but it could be as simple as a soft tire.

Getting a spring fixed is not usually expensive. Go to a truck chassis/suspension shop - there is one (or more)in most every city and some larger towns.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 06:23 AM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
On my 2000 P32 chassis I put a 1" spacer between the frame and rear sway bar mount to correct the lean. The problem was the refrigerator.gen. and propane tank were all on the same side of the MH.
speed racer is offline   Reply With Quote