Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 04-05-2005, 04:38 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 217
I have a 1996 Fleetwood Tioga Montara 24 foot 6 inches and there is some sort of leak problem in the front above the loft. I can see water stains, but they are not all over; just one spot.

I was waxing and I noticed water dripping out the passanger side at the extreme front of the cab over.

I am in Arizona and we have had a lot of rain recently. I would not have noticed this problem in the dry years. I also have allergies and am allergic to mold. This year, with all the rain has been bad on me. All the pollen blowing around and the mold makes for nasal congestion.

I ordered some fungicide and will take off the ceiling above the cab and find and seal the leak. I will then take a crowbar to all the wood that is bad in the cab bed. No one sleeps up there anymore. I use it to store things, so it doesn't have to be paneled and everything.

Anyone have a similiar problem? What about 'toxic mold' in the motorhome?

David
__________________

__________________
zetron is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-05-2005, 04:38 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 217
I have a 1996 Fleetwood Tioga Montara 24 foot 6 inches and there is some sort of leak problem in the front above the loft. I can see water stains, but they are not all over; just one spot.

I was waxing and I noticed water dripping out the passanger side at the extreme front of the cab over.

I am in Arizona and we have had a lot of rain recently. I would not have noticed this problem in the dry years. I also have allergies and am allergic to mold. This year, with all the rain has been bad on me. All the pollen blowing around and the mold makes for nasal congestion.

I ordered some fungicide and will take off the ceiling above the cab and find and seal the leak. I will then take a crowbar to all the wood that is bad in the cab bed. No one sleeps up there anymore. I use it to store things, so it doesn't have to be paneled and everything.

Anyone have a similiar problem? What about 'toxic mold' in the motorhome?

David
__________________

__________________
zetron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005, 03:24 AM   #3
Community Moderator
 
RV Wizard's Avatar


 
Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Chattanooga, Tn.
Posts: 12,062
Being from Florida we became educated on mold. Mold can grow anywhere there is a source of moisture, stagnant air, and lack of sunlight. You can certainly breed a toxic mold in a motorhome too. I would recommend you do as you have said. Take out the area that is stained and repair leak, check to be sure no mold has started; if so kill it and repair the area effected. You might want to seek some professional or governmental advise as to what kind of mold you might have found and ask how is the most effective way to rid and clean up this strain of mold.
__________________
Mike, RVIA & RVSA Certified Master RV Technician
Amy, Dr. Assistant - Roxie & Mei Ling, four legs each
2000 Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser 450 hp & 1330# torque
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 02:56 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 217
Thanks for the info. I am in Arizona and it seems that mold does not grow here most of the time, because it is so dry. However, it is my feeling from the local news reports of toxic mold found in homes here; that when mold does grow here it tends to be a toxic species.

It is similar to the 'superbug germs' that seem to be able to withstand penicillin type antibiotics. In an area where you would expect little mold (Sonaran desert) you get the toxic varity when it does start to grow.

David
__________________
zetron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005, 07:15 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 217
Hello again: I have removed the ceiling from the loft area and found the hole where the water was coming in. Certain forward areas of the loft are not open to me.

I researched the mold problem and found that quaternery ammonium chloride and copper sulfate are good ways to kill the mold. I purchased some 'pool chemicals' with these ingredients in them. The chemicals were for killing algae in pools. Anything that kills algae will kill fungi too. I diluted the chemicals down and spray them on the wood and into the hidden areas forward.

Reasonable precautions should be taken when using these chemicals. You do not want to get any in your eyes. Skin contact can be irritating, but I had no problems.

The copper sulfate solution will stain the wood blue green. I would be willing to bet nothing will grow there in the future.

The USFS recommends using a double immerission technique to treat fence posts. First you use a solution of sodium flouride. Then a solution of copper sulfate. The two chemicals are soluble in water, but when they come in contact (inside the wood) with each other in the second bath they react to form sodium sulfate and copper flouride. The copper flouride is insoluble in water therefore it remains in the wood even when water enters the wood. The compound contains copper and of course this is a biocide.

I do not have any sodium flouride. I think a similar reaction and result might be expected with sodium bromide which is available as a spa chemical.

David/zetron
__________________
zetron is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
All Star - Bunks or Loft?? boat4life Kurt Newmar Owner's Forum 12 02-13-2009 04:22 PM
Squeaking Creaking Class C overhead, loft Finkaz Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum 1 08-29-2008 07:31 PM
Exhaust Manifold Leak and Charge Cooler Leak Test gandl2 Alpine Coach Owner's Forum 7 03-19-2008 09:05 PM
Loft In a TT ChiefJohn Keystone 7 11-29-2007 10:51 AM
Loft In a TT Travel Trailer Discussion 7 12-31-1969 07:00 PM

» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:11 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.