Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-04-2008, 06:55 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Since I first bought the coach there has been this mysterious leak every once in a while in my basement.

I first noticed it during delivery. I noticed it again when I was filling the tank yesterday. I had forgotten about it filling and it went into overflow w/water pouring out of the valve under the coach. That's what it's there for.

Now that I think about it, the dealer filled the coach the same way. Leaves the water running until the overflow comes on.

Anyway, that whole assembly is covered up. I'm thinking there is a loose connection where the overflow piping comes out of the tank.

It is not a bad leak as the carpet in the basement gets wet by the walls that separate the storage space from where the tank is.
JavaJelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-04-2008, 06:55 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Since I first bought the coach there has been this mysterious leak every once in a while in my basement.

I first noticed it during delivery. I noticed it again when I was filling the tank yesterday. I had forgotten about it filling and it went into overflow w/water pouring out of the valve under the coach. That's what it's there for.

Now that I think about it, the dealer filled the coach the same way. Leaves the water running until the overflow comes on.

Anyway, that whole assembly is covered up. I'm thinking there is a loose connection where the overflow piping comes out of the tank.

It is not a bad leak as the carpet in the basement gets wet by the walls that separate the storage space from where the tank is.
Old 01-04-2008, 08:09 AM   #3
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
The overflow hose/tube is pretty light weight material.

It's right behind the pegboard/TV.

I suggest fixing it as soon as you can, as water will slosh into the overflow tube when driving, and the carpet may never dry out.

You don't want a science experiment to start in the dampness.

A friend of mine actually has mushrooms/toadstools growing in one of his compartments.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 05:39 PM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
Depending on the pressure going in at the time you filled the tank you could even have a crack in the tank.
John Wayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 08:42 AM   #5

Let the dealer take care of it while its still under warranty.

Joe
full-timer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 09:16 AM   #6
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Depending on the pressure going in at the time you filled the tank you could even have a crack in the tank. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

While a cracked tank is a possibility, Newmar's use an approx. 1 1/2" overflow tube. It'll let a lot of overflow out.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 09:27 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
All,

Thanks for the input. I have an external entertainent center. I cannot figure out how to get access to the freshwater tank.

It is all sealed. There aren't any screws to take out that I can see. It is sealed underneath and from the basement. I think I will have Newmar look at it.
Old 02-07-2008, 02:26 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
At Newmar for repairs. They found that the valve on top that lets air in when the water is being used was leaking. This valve is a check-valve and prevents the tank from sucking in when pumping water out.

Repaired but, had to take out the entire entertainment center.
Old 02-08-2008, 09:13 AM   #9

Location: Atlanta, GA. , South Beach, FL. Naples, Fl , Coral Gables,FL.
You would thing they would put that valve someother place .Easlier to get to.
george henry is offline   Reply With Quote