Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-02-2015, 12:07 PM   #1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Leaking roof AC

I'm having problems with our rear AC unit. It started leaking a while back.It's not from under the gasket( I just replaced it. A surprisingly easy job!) but water comes in above the base of the ac unit, builds up till it overflows and leaks. The gasket and insulation are completly dry.

Someone mentioned that there are drain holes that may be plugged. I checked and the only holes,per se, were hooked to a hose that drain condensation from the unit itself. So I blew those out, even tho they were both open, installed new gasket. Same problem. We just had a thunderstorm that "channel" (which is actually the base of the unit that sets on top of the gasket) filled up with water, overflowed and leaked down on the bed.

Do I need to remove the unit again and look for these elusive drain holes?

WTH am I missing?

Thanks for any and all suggestions,eh?

Frustrated Brad In Da UP of MI!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-02-2015, 12:29 PM   #2

Brad,

Without knowing the manufacturer and model, I cannot be a lot of help, but if it leaks when the unit is running, that can be the inlet air filter. If it gets restricted, the house side fan can suck the condensate back it.

Matt

Old 09-02-2015, 12:57 PM   #3

Lets assume it is a Dometic model 590 Series Brisk Air.

The unit works find. Doesn't leak while running. This leak occurs only when it rains rather hard.

the water is building up in the base of the unit above the gasket somehow, and when that base channel is full, it overflows down onto our bed. The gasket is is dry below the channel.

Can water be splashing up into the unit from the outside? Can a cracked outer cover cause this? Are there some drain holes I over looked? I could not see any drain holes in that base channel when I had the unit off for gasket replacement.
Old 09-02-2015, 02:31 PM   #4

And here I was thinking this was happening while the unit was making cold air.
Old 09-02-2015, 02:39 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by draboo View Post
I'm having problems with our rear AC unit. It started leaking a while back.It's not from under the gasket( I just replaced it. A surprisingly easy job!) but water comes in above the base of the ac unit, builds up till it overflows and leaks. The gasket and insulation are completly dry.

Someone mentioned that there are drain holes that may be plugged. I checked and the only holes,per se, were hooked to a hose that drain condensation from the unit itself. So I blew those out, even tho they were both open, installed new gasket. Same problem. We just had a thunderstorm that "channel" (which is actually the base of the unit that sets on top of the gasket) filled up with water, overflowed and leaked down on the bed.
Do I need to remove the unit again and look for these elusive drain holes?
WTH am I missing?
Thanks for any and all suggestions,eh?
Frustrated Brad In Da UP of MI!
draboo
Did you tighten the A/C mounting bolts to the inch/pound torque specified by the A/C manufacturer?
Mel
'96 Safari
Old 09-02-2015, 05:45 PM   #6

I don't have a torque wrench. I installed the new gasket and tightened the bolts to squash the gasket around 50%.

The gasket is not the culprit. The water is coming from above the gasket.

In the crude drawing I uploaded, the channel that I called the base is filling up with water, overflowing and leaking down. It is on top of the gasket, so the gasket isn't the issue. It was doing exactly the same thing before I changed the gasket. It doesn't leak with every rain. Only when it comes down hard and the ac unit base, which is sitting on top of the gasket, fills up with water and overflows. I have no idea where this water is coming from. The ac base channels sides are less than 1/8 inch high.

Thank y'all for the help,eh?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	acunit.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	14.6 KB
ID:	105613  
Old 09-02-2015, 07:51 PM   #7

We have recently had the same problem with both A/Cs and I found small mud dauber nests clogging up, both of them. First we had to take the covers all off the A/Cs and find where the channels were clogged. That helped in getting rid of about 80% of the leaking. We also took a drill and drilled about 4 holes on the left front(Standing at the rear of the A/C looking at the front of the RV) to help remove the excess water when it rains. We just had about 2.5 inches of rain in about an hour with no leaks. In the last 60 days here in Central Florida we have had 30 inches of rain and no leaks since I drilled the holes. What I did to protect the roof was put a metal plate between the bottom of the A/C and the roof.
Old 09-02-2015, 08:28 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUB1988 View Post
We have recently had the same problem with both A/Cs and I found small mud dauber nests clogging up, both of them. First we had to take the covers all off the A/Cs and find where the channels were clogged. That helped in getting rid of about 80% of the leaking. We also took a drill and drilled about 4 holes on the left front(Standing at the rear of the A/C looking at the front of the RV) to help remove the excess water when it rains. We just had about 2.5 inches of rain in about an hour with no leaks. In the last 60 days here in Central Florida we have had 30 inches of rain and no leaks since I drilled the holes. What I did to protect the roof was put a metal plate between the bottom of the A/C and the roof.
That is exactly the same spot where the water is flowing to and leaking in our ac unit. I never saw any of those nests you speak of, but I will check again after the rain lets up. I will also drill some holes in the spot you mentioned.

FINALLY, someone actually had the same problem. I was having a hard time explaining that the leak wasn't the gasket but was coming from above the gasket.

Thank,eh?

Tags
leak, roof