Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-02-2009, 03:09 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Leaking windshield

We have a 2004 Winnebago Brave. It is in for the 4th time to try and resolve the leaking windshield. Twice to Winnebago in Forest City and twice to closest dealer in cocoa Beach. The windshield has been pulled, rust sanded down and coated and sealed and replaced. Last time water poured in. snooky

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-02-2009, 07:02 PM   #2

I feel for you but have now solution to offer. My '98 vectra windshield leaks on the driver's side. I thought my local automotive and commercial glass shop had it sealed but it is now leaking again. The glass needs to be reset but I've been told that it will probably break when they try to remove it so I'm living with the leak right now.

2000 Country Coach Magna 40', CAT C10, #5892
2006 Jeep Liberty
phays is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 04:06 AM   #3
Community Moderator

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
I hate to say this, but you may have a structural issue that not only is effecting the windshield but may also be causing it to be hard to drive. You might want to look in this direction.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 12:35 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Wizard View Post
I hate to say this, but you may have a structural issue that not only is effecting the windshield but may also be causing it to be hard to drive. You might want to look in this direction.
Mike
thanks for your response. Would I look for a rv master tech in my area? If this is a structual issue,would this fall back on the manufacturer? thanks Snooky
Old 11-06-2009, 09:25 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The problem might not be the point-of-contact between the rubber seal & the glass...but rather the fiberglass opening ( As mentioned above) or specifically:

For some this could be a result of improper technique in manual leveling of the MH in an extreme situation. You don't want to over-twist the front axle or you, yourself could be the cause of the leak. Torquing the overall frame is one thing; but the huge expanse of glass [and it's perimeter seal] needs some serious consideration while you are leveling the rig.

For example: On steep side-sloping sites, Few know to get all feet down in contact with the ground and proceed to level judiciously. A little adjustment forethought to be mindful of...
Old 11-07-2009, 04:10 AM   #6
Community Moderator

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
If you feel that the problem is not as a result of an incorrect leveling procedure as mentioned above; and for four times coming out, I doubt it. I would be compiling all records and contacting someone at Forest City and getting some assistance. They may take care of it under a warranty situation but may not. At least they designed and built it and know what is supposed to be. They are the ones I would want to do the job without knowing who is in your area.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 09:56 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
leaking winshield

Thanks for all the replies. This leaks level or not. Have been to Forest City to resolve this, however both times failed. Winnebago said it was the side passenger window leaking. After second attempt failed, they told me to contact a local Winnebago dealer. Closest being 90 miles one way. They did a foam test, results showed it was the windshield. The coach is there now for over a week. They say they have corrected the windshield leak, it is now coming in another area.???? I am wondering what all this water is doing to parts of the coach we can not see. Thanks Snooky and Mike
Old 11-21-2009, 05:29 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
The way to find the place where the windshield is leaking it to take compressed air to the inside of the windshield and soapy water sprayed on the outside. It will indicate where the leak (s) are. Then a small amount of silicone may stop the displeasure of the continuing leaks.
Old 12-22-2009, 08:25 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
Solo Rvers Club
For a small fee you can get the interior pressurized and soapy water sprayed on the exterior to show the leak(s) location. I know the CW in Kissimmee Florida has this system to use. At least you would know where the water entered and might help in diagnosing the cause.
Old 12-23-2009, 12:01 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks for the suggestion. We took it to a dealer in Cocoa Beach and they had system, did fix windshield, however side window still leaking!!! We have another appt after holidays. Thanks again. Snooky
Old 12-23-2009, 04:32 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Snooky ... the windshield mounting on your Winnebago is different from most other motorhomes, so comments/comparisons by owners of other brands likely do not apply to yours. It sounds like you already know that your glass is glued/cemented into a steel framework. That windshield steel frame is part of the steel "cage" that goes all around the front compartment.

"Torquing" the MH frame by improper jacking enough to break the glass might be possible, but I seriously doubt it. The glass will not "pop out" as some other brands can do -- it is cemented in and is part of the roll-over integrity. And the fiberglass opening around the windshield will not have anything to do with it. The rubber "seal" you see from the outside has nothing to do with the water seal of the glass. The outer seal is attached via a push-in channel that is glued attached only to the metal frame around the windshield. It serves only to keep excess water from getting to the metal frame ...it does not fasten to or secure the glass in any way.

The most frequent cause of a windshield leak on a modern Winnebago is poor glass installation and/or rusted metal frame. Many of us have found that leaking clearence lamps cause rust to the steel frame over time, causing eventual leaks. That results in having to totally remove the glass, recondition the steel frame as you indicated they have done on your coach, and then reinstall the glass. With four unsuccessful attempts, you may need to get more persistent with finding a real solution ...either the frame is not being prepared properly, the glass installers are incompetent, or there may be something wrong with the framework. If the frame is properly prepared and the installers are competent, why does the correct glass not fit well?? Though not likely with the Winnebago steel cab structure, I would begin to wonder if the framework is somehow twisted? ...or is there a weld broken somewhere that allows the structure to be out of line? Four attempts without success calls for more in depth analysis to find the real problem. The source of leaks are often hard to find, and it really sounds like yours might be other than the windshield.

You indicate someone suspected a side window as the source of the leak. We had to have our passenger side overhead glass removed and reset due to a leak ...the water collected at the bottm of the window and ran down the rear of the post between the windshield and the side window & door. Another possibility might be the front cap to roof seal. We had a leak there on the driver side that would soak everything beside and in front of that end of the dash.

Good luck, and when you find the solution, let us know what it is!
Old 01-08-2010, 07:26 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Windshield doomed to fail...

AFChap is correct in saying that other brands have different problems with the windshield, BUT the end result is the same with leaking and cracking, etc. Winnebago has the metal frame attached to the fiberglass. My '07 Safari Simba has no metal frame, the windshield is mounted directly to the fiberglass. It is also correct that the windshield becomes an integral part of the structure. In the case of my coach, I have been told that the windshield is secured into the fiberglass cap (at the factory) before the cap is attached to the rest of the body. So when windshield problems later arise for the owner, the windshield is reset or replaced, but of course the cap is not removed.

I have had windshield problems starting from our first weekend outing. I could see the upper body sway as I drove and the windshield started to come loose. After the second weekend trip the coach was no longer drivable. I then found out that the original owner had replaced three windshields in 14,000 miles. When I bought mine I was told that they had just replaced the windshield. At this point in time I knew nothing about this forum and nothing about ways to check for recalls and technical service bulletins as I do now.

The service bulletin and recalls issued by Monaco were all voided with their bankruptcy, as far as Monaco covering the cost. There are several recalls and service bulletins for my coach. I mention this because all years of the Simba are involved. Here is the service bulletin issued by Monaco for my coach:

WINDSHIELD MAY HAVE CHARCTERISTICS THAT COULD POTENTIALLY REDUCE THE LIFE SPAN OF THE ONE PIECE OF WINDSHIELD AND COULD LEAD TO A STRESS CRACK OR MOVEMENT OF THE WINDSHIELD AND/OR WINDSHIELD GASKET.

Sounds like it is doomed to happen again and again. I did contact the "new" Monaco and was told that there is a structure problem with all year Simba's and that a metal frame work has to be installed in the front cap to keep it from moving side to side and resulting in windshield problems. This metal structure costs $3,000 plus installation.

When I reported the glass problem to the insurance company they could find no one to replace the glass without me signing a waiver releasing them of any problems after install. It finally ended with the last glass company actually refusing to do the work...waiver or not. The insurance company decided that the selling dealer should fix it. Because of this and several other costly problems, we had the dealer pick up the coach and take it back. We are in the process of working out the purchase of a different coach at this time. I wish I had a solution for your problem, but I do not. I guess I had to vent to keep my sanity. No matter what kind of a deal we get on a different coach we will lose a lot of money. My wife is stressed out over this situation and I do all I can to convince her that there will be a coach with less problems in our future. She is seeing this camping business as a money pit right now.
Old 01-08-2010, 07:49 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
From another forum...

<<< I have a 2005 Winnabago Adventurer and while on the West coast I experienced my second windshield leak. A local glass company repaired the leak for a nominal fee. They then suggested that when closing my slides that a window or vent should be open, Because as tight as this coach is a lot of air pressure is exerted on the windshield and will loosen the seal around the window. This was the second time I had a similar leak, but have not had any since following their directions I'd be very surprised if that's the CAUSE of your leaks but leaving a window or door open while running the slide room is still a good idea. When an RV dealer checks for leaks they do so by pressurizing the RV so it's not likely to blow out a window but it certainly IS possible to build up pressure inside. The most likely reason for windshield leaks is the fit of the windshield. Too little clearance and they crack and too much causes leaks. >>>
Old 01-08-2010, 09:52 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Winnebago has the metal frame attached to the fiberglass
Slight ...but significant ... correction. The metal window frame on a Winnebago is part of the steel roll cage that extends around the cab area. The roll cage is welded to the frame/chassis. The fiberglass cap is then attached to the metal roll cage etc on the front of the coach. There is a rubber gasket closing the gap between the windshield and the fiberglass, but no other "attachment" between the glass and the fiberblass. The fiberglass can move/shift, etc with no effect at all on the windshield glass. The only movement that would affect the windshield would be from twisting the chasiss.

Winnebago windshield leaks come from gaps in the sealant between the glass and the metal frame, resulting either from poor installation techniques that failed to get all areas well sealed or rust on the frame. As for slides causing pressure on the windshield, crack a side window just a bit and stay right beside it while opening/closing a large slide ... the air movement throught that window is significant in my coach, so that might be something to consider!

It sounds like the Simba coaches were built with a serious structural stability problem in the "house" portion. It probably would be one that would totally come apart in a rollover.