Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-03-2008, 07:42 AM   #1

DW just called from the lake and said the huge rainstorm we received in NE Oklahoma last night caused the Bounder to leak. All around the crank up antenna, rear window, both side rear window and bathroom....Sheesh!!! Sounds like a few tubes of Dicor...
What do you folks recommend for the windows? Silicone caulk? Just hope I don't have a bunch of water in my ceiling/walls - the first step in developing delams.
Any suggestions are sure welcome at this point.

Mike and Renee' MacKay
tulsa, okla.
1995 32H F53 bounder
Tulsa Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-03-2008, 07:42 AM   #2

DW just called from the lake and said the huge rainstorm we received in NE Oklahoma last night caused the Bounder to leak. All around the crank up antenna, rear window, both side rear window and bathroom....Sheesh!!! Sounds like a few tubes of Dicor...
What do you folks recommend for the windows? Silicone caulk? Just hope I don't have a bunch of water in my ceiling/walls - the first step in developing delams.
Any suggestions are sure welcome at this point.

Mike and Renee' MacKay
tulsa, okla.
1995 32H F53 bounder
Old 03-03-2008, 11:49 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Mike, you should pull the windows, frame and all. Clean and install butyl tape on the outside flange of frame and reinstall. If you have some good dry weather you may want to let the walls dry out if they are wet before you reinstall windows.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 04:57 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Mike,
Welcome to IRV2
We had a 94 bounder that developed a good leak that took a while to find. Check the bathroom skylight on the roof. Ours cracked. You could not see it from inside as they used an inner and an outer panel. It was also hard to see when you were on the roof. Look carefully.
SacsTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 06:42 AM   #5

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Definitely check skylights. Our front skylight in the kitchen was leaking but the water was coming in at the back bathroom vent. So basically it was traveling the entire length of the motor home.
MtManLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 07:41 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
This is where I found a replacement skylight as Fleetwood was absolutely no help in trying to find one
SacsTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 08:42 AM   #7

What kind of caulk? I have heard Dicor, but aren't there different kinds?
Mike
Old 03-04-2008, 01:17 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

For the roof a self-leveling caulk is easiest to use - there are several brands but Dicor and Alpha are probably the most prominent. If you have a rubber roof get a caulk that is compatible with EPDM rubber (note that Brytek and similar shiny stuff is still EPDM material). If fiberglass or metal roof, most any kind of caulk will stick fine.

You can't use self-leveling caulks on a vertical surface - it will run. Use a regular composition caulk. RV stores will have a selection - any will do.

You can always use clear silicone on the sidewalls. It works and it sticks, even though there may be better choices at the RV store. I wouldn't use it on the roof though, casue nothing else will stick to it once it's on there. You have to peel it off to use anything else.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 06:42 AM   #9

Many thanks!!
leaks- my worst nightmare next to a motor blowing up...... i thought my roof was tighter than that- the deluge was probably a good wake up call.
-Tulsa Mike
1995 32h Bounder F53
Old 03-05-2008, 12:20 PM   #10

If you have a fiberglass roof (as I do), do NOT use "just any old caulk." I spent the weekend removing and replacing all of the caulking around roof seams and skylights, and the original Dicor that I originally got down to (which is now 13 years old), was still pliable after all those years. The 'other' caulking, peeled up like old wet paint in one big blob. I would swear by using Dicor's products.

glfprncs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 12:22 PM   #11

Also, Dicor makes a non-sag lap sealant, which is the same composition as their self-leveling, but is for vertical services. Where you put it, is where it stays. It's good stuff too!

glfprncs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 07:34 AM   #12

Many thanks to all!
-Mike
95 Bounder
32h F53
Old 03-19-2008, 08:17 AM   #13

I got up on top with the caulk, but after seeing it up close, the caulk lines look good- now believe it must be a seal in the tv antenna - hope they make a fix-it kit.
Caulked everything I could see on the roof -
Best,
Tulsa Mike
95 bounder 32h F53
Old 03-19-2008, 12:26 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Mike,
Re. antenna; Winegard recomends the use of silicone spray on the crank-up shaft, it keeps the rubber "o" rings soft and pliable. Also, take a look at the rubber boot that fits over the outlet where the cable wire comes through the roof. They've been known to come off their perch and allow water inside. I've caulked mine in place. See the Winegard website for where to spray the silicone, I know it's from the roof top but not exactly where.
Lt46 is offline   Reply With Quote