Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-01-2012, 01:52 AM   #1

Leaky Black Tank Seal

I have had good luck searching my problems in existing threads, but this is an EMERGENCY and I don't have time. We apparently have a leaky seal in our black tank. The last couple of times we had a bit of a leak which resulted in a small amount of leakage. Today it is considerably worse. The leak is still liquid (not solid thank goodness), but still a smelly messy problem. We are on the road - we work events and if not working we are pretty much driving.

Can anyone suggest a quick fix? It's about unusable at this point. Thanks for all help in my ASAP bulletin.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-01-2012, 02:31 AM   #2

More from me - we are in in Union City Ca for the weekend working at a festival.s This area is not really RV friendly. We are only using battery and the toilet as little as possible. I have limited access to repair businesses and little time. Is there any jerry rigg solution I can do easily?

Old 09-01-2012, 03:33 AM   #3

Florida Cooters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Can you give any more info on where the leak is coming from? Does it leak when you pull off the cap or is a fitting leaking? Are your fittings in a bay or hang below the RV? If in a bay, is it possible to leave your drain hose connected to the valve and capped at the end? At least this would give you something to leak into until you can do a proper repair.
windydaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 07:07 AM   #4

It could be a worn/torn seal, but more likely it's a piece of something solid lodged in the slot preventing the valve from closing completely. Toilets do the same thing on occasion.

No quick or magic cures here I'm afraid. Generally the fix it to pull the 4 bolts and remove the valve. If you find the blockage, great. If not, replace at least the seals, if not the whole valve. If I'm going to that trouble, I'll generally coat the new seals and the valves with a light coat of silicone grease.
Old 09-01-2012, 08:50 AM   #5

Fixed my leak by replacing the dump valve with a new one...fairly simple inexpensive fix. Takes less than an hour with simple tools. Order online, have shipped to where ever you are. Good luck.
mineralslee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 02:41 PM   #6

The fittings are in a bay. With a t-handle, which has always (as in the 6 weeks we've had this - 2003 Monaco LaPalma) - always been a little hard to pull and push. The first visible part is the clear tube that allows you to see whats coming down the tube. Then the cap. The first time I noticed it, the clear tube had a very very small amount of liquid. The next time I made sure that the tube and cap were fairly dry, thinking I might have inadvertently left water in there after flushing. That time there was more liquid. So I started thinking and researching, but then the next (third) time it was yesterday and serious! I cut the top off a gallon plastic water bottle to catch it while we landed at the next spot later that day. By then it was more full.

An explanation about me - I am the wife who does the most technical stuff around the vehicles. My husband cooks and navigates and tells me when something breaks (kidding sort of). He suggested the same as you - attaching the hose and capping it. I will do this after cleaning the current mess. But will have to make be a make shift cap, unless Wal Mart sells one? Then my hesitation is, when I get to a dumpstation, moving the hose could be tricky. Although 100% better than what we have now. The other short term solution, until I can get a proper repair person, I was wondering about was putting several layers of plastic wrap or something under the hose fitting, just to catch the liquid.

Last night we just camped at a place with nothing, tonight we are going to a place with full hook up so I can clean up and hopefully put in place a temp solution - probably one of the two solutions so far. Do you think it could be that T handle not shutting properly as someone here suggested?

Thanks so much.
Old 09-01-2012, 02:50 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Yes, sounds like a gate valve leaking. could be bad valve or something keeping the valve from closing tightly (piece od TP or other). See if this link helps.

How To Fix Leaking Wastewater Valves - The Fun Times Guide to RVing
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 07:34 PM   #8

Mine leaks a little - maybe a quarter cup over a month. I have gotten in the habit of grabbing an old grocery bag ("t shirt bag") and putting it over the cap before I remove it. The small amount of liquid goes into the bag. I put the cap on the ground to rinse off, and tie a knot in the bag. Pity the person who is treasure hunting...
Old 09-04-2012, 12:01 AM   #9

Another Rv'er told me to use an old plastic cup or something similar - worked for me when I had day 1 or 2 of the leak. I dumped it into the dump hole, then tossed the cup.

Today I have excellent news - apparently (fingers crossed) it WAS something lodged in the valve. After dumping and flushing a few times, today left hose off, but cap on (of course), NO LEAKS ALL DAY. hooray. hope it continues to be fixed, there's lots of other things to fix around here!
Old 09-04-2012, 12:28 AM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by frazierdee View Post
Another Rv'er told me to use an old plastic cup or something similar - worked for me when I had day 1 or 2 of the leak. I dumped it into the dump hole, then tossed the cup.

Today I have excellent news - apparently (fingers crossed) it WAS something lodged in the valve. After dumping and flushing a few times, today left hose off, but cap on (of course), NO LEAKS ALL DAY. hooray. hope it continues to be fixed, there's lots of other things to fix around here!
Great News!!! We'll keep our fingers crossed for you.

historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
seal, tank