Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-22-2016, 12:11 AM   #1

Leaky Levelers - All Four, what happened?

Hi Folks: My rig has a Kiwi Level Best 3000 system. Just over a year ago, I noted that one was leaking. The local shop told me it would be so expensive to fix (replace) that I was better off just topping off the fluid. We last used our rig in November, and I sadly must admit it was sitting at our home using the levelers since then. I took it out today to get it ready for a cross country run this summer. I can see that ALL four levelers are leaking (from the bottom of the hydraulic cylinder) so much that there are four circles in the gravel where it was parked. I did add some tranny stop leak at one point, could that have made it worse? What should I do? I hate to think about the cost to replace all four of these ....

Thanks in Advance!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-22-2016, 08:17 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Some of these posts and articles might lead to some conclusion.

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourcei...nt%20cylinders

I would think though that as long as you could find replacement cylinders, they should be straightforward to replace. I would suspect the seals are leaking?? Total guess here...

RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'05 Fleetwood Revolution '12 Chevy 2500 '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
'14 Ram 3500 Aisin
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 01:12 PM   #3

Thanks, ironically, I did the same Google search and did not come up with anything substantial.

The other question I have is whether or not it is OK to leave the RV on the levelers for months and months. Is that just putting too much pressure on the system?
Old 05-23-2016, 07:07 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Yeah Doc, I tried to see what I could find out through search Google as well, nothing really on the net to help. If these are hydraulic cylinders I would think that they could be removed and taken to a hydraulic shop to have new seals, wiper rings, etc. put in the cylinders. Most hydraulic shops probably have seen all hydraulic cylinders that exists. If they are leaking there is a reason for it. Good luck in your search.
98FPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 11:27 PM   #5

Thanks Ken. I am going to take it to the RV service place and hope it doesn't cost more than my rig is worth
Old 05-23-2016, 11:45 PM   #6

Before you take it in for service, try extending the jacks and then spraying WD-40 on the rods. Just spray it on and let it run down to the pad, do not wipe it off the rods. Then wipe up the WD-40 and oil that has leaked onto the pads. Then run the jacks up and down a few times, leaving them extended enough to have some weight on them. Most leaks come from the seals as they pick up dirt and dust, which the WD-40 helps to clean and the seals will re-seal.

We had the same problem, on one jack only, but the puddle was significant and it appeared to be leaking from the bottom, when it was actually the seal at the top of the jack rod. I was told to do this by our mechanic and the leak is completely sealed. Occasionally I will start to get some seepage, but I do this and the leak stops right away. Yours may be a different issues but It's worth a try before you spend any money. I always put my jacks down when the MH is parked for storage so that should not hurt them.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 12:32 AM   #7

Wow, I will try it the minute the sun comes up!!! Thanks, it is surely worth a try.
Old 05-24-2016, 05:25 AM   #8

Freightliner Owners Club
DO NOT USE WD 40, for cleaning the rams, spray silicone and then wipe off.
For leaking add transmission Stop leak, this will swell the O'rings, unless of course they are spit.

Yes, there are replacements rams available you just have to call the right place.
Leisure Coachworks
14620 RANCHO VISTA DRIVE
FONTANA, CA 92335 (909) 428-6775 (landline)

Charlie's Service
1901 N. Main, Sunset, UT (801)773-1193

Both places work on Alfa Coaches, which uses the 3000 system.
gatorcq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 02:07 PM   #9

I've used WD-40 for the last two years with no problems and the seals are nice and tight. A good silicone spray will work too, but I have been told not to wipe off before putting the jacks up/down as that is what cleans the minor dust particles that allows the seals to start weeping. The only one that even weeps at all is the one with the original leak, but it seldom does that anymore. I have been told not to put the Transmission Leak Stop fluid in the system as it causes more harm than good, and can cause the seals to split, as they are not designed to swell. This info was both in our manual and what our mechanic told us to do. For what it's worth this method has worked very well for me.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 03:30 PM   #10

Freightliner Owners Club
I have many of our members use the stop leak. The seal will swell, but very little. As they are O'rings and sit inside a groove. Which is then against the cylinder wall. Very little chance of splitting. Which by the way I have not heard of that happening from our members.
The big difference is the material in the o'rings. I have seem a bad seal, causing a mayor leak. The seal split, but not because of fluid. Just remember, o'ring are inside a transmission, and it is suggested to use stop leak. As a side note my levelers state to use Dexron III as the fluid. If your manual says the same, then IMO stop leak is not a issue.
gatorcq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 10:35 AM   #11
Commercial Member

many times an intermittent leak is caused by overextending the cylinder. this causes the barrel of the jack to egg shape, and leak. otherwise, if you add some chemicals, that are not recommended, it will affect the seals, i found one customer that had added brake
fluid to his system. it had dissolved the seals in the jacks, and caused major leaks.
stop leak will work on some seals of a certain composition, but not all.
neoprene o rings, which are used by hwh, are not affected by stopleak.

Tags
leak, levelers