Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-06-2006, 05:10 PM   #1

As you can all probably tell I have only been RVing for 2 years. I have a 97 Vectra Winnebago. Its in pretty good shape with only 47,000 original miles. I notice it is leaning to right if standing in the back. I assume the air bag on the passenger side rear is low. Is it and easy adjustment? Where is the valve to feel it up? I took a quick peak and just saw a drain valve on a little tank next to it. Thanks for any quick assistance.

BIOGIL, Inc
billron is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-06-2006, 05:10 PM   #2

As you can all probably tell I have only been RVing for 2 years. I have a 97 Vectra Winnebago. Its in pretty good shape with only 47,000 original miles. I notice it is leaning to right if standing in the back. I assume the air bag on the passenger side rear is low. Is it and easy adjustment? Where is the valve to feel it up? I took a quick peak and just saw a drain valve on a little tank next to it. Thanks for any quick assistance.

BIOGIL, Inc
billron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 11:36 PM   #3

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by billron:
As you can all probably tell I have only been RVing for 2 years. I have a 97 Vectra Winnebago. Its in pretty good shape with only 47,000 original miles. I notice it is leaning to right if standing in the back. I assume the air bag on the passenger side rear is low. Is it and easy adjustment? Where is the valve to feel it up? I took a quick peak and just saw a drain valve on a little tank next to it. Thanks for any quick assistance. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Bill,

They are self regulating and should level themselves automatically. The petcocks on the accumulator tanks mounted with the air bags along with the one on the main tank mounted with the compressor are to drain off any condensation and need to be bled every month or so depending on the humidity and use.

Is the switch that is mounted to the left of the steering wheel in the manual or automatic position? That would be the first thing to check. Does the compressor cycle when the coach attempts to level itself when the ignotion switch is turned on? If you have the Chevy chassis are both front air bags equally filled to between 65 to 95 lbs? Are all the tires properly inflated? Is the coach overloaded on one side? Are all the sway bar bushings in good condition with none missing?

If all of the above checks out then you can park in a level spot and adjust the sensors for the automatic rear levelers which are mounted on eash side of the rear axle between the crossmember and axle. There should be a band clamp going around the axle with an arm that has a link going up to the sensor. Put the park and level switch in the manual position first. Loosen the clamp bolt and rotate it slightly so that the linkage moves up toward the valve. Do this in small increments then go put the system back in automatic mode and turn on the ignition switch. Let a little bit of air out of the accumulator tank being carful not to lower the coach on yourself and give the system a few minutes to stabilize. Then turn everything off and put the park and level switch back into the manual mode and go back under and measure the distance between the bottom of the top mounting plate of the air bag and the top of the bottom plate to see if it is the same as the left one which on my 95 was supposed to be 11 inches. Repeat adjusting until they are equal and then lock the adjuster in place.

When I adjusted mine a quarter of an inch made a big difference.

Regards,
Old 10-04-2009, 09:05 PM   #4

Thank you Neil

Neil,
I never got to read this because I went to Iraq, nor did I fix the problem. BillRon was my old user name. I don't have the same email so I can't get the password. I actually went back and have returned to the US in the last few weeks. I wanted to thank you for this information. I will use it this week to try to fix the problem.

Bill and Jennifer RV Adventures
1997 Winnebago
Vectra Grand Tour

Bill,

They are self regulating and should level themselves automatically. The petcocks on the accumulator tanks mounted with the air bags along with the one on the main tank mounted with the compressor are to drain off any condensation and need to be bled every month or so depending on the humidity and use.

Is the switch that is mounted to the left of the steering wheel in the manual or automatic position? That would be the first thing to check. Does the compressor cycle when the coach attempts to level itself when the ignotion switch is turned on? If you have the Chevy chassis are both front air bags equally filled to between 65 to 95 lbs? Are all the tires properly inflated? Is the coach overloaded on one side? Are all the sway bar bushings in good condition with none missing?

If all of the above checks out then you can park in a level spot and adjust the sensors for the automatic rear levelers which are mounted on eash side of the rear axle between the crossmember and axle. There should be a band clamp going around the axle with an arm that has a link going up to the sensor. Put the park and level switch in the manual position first. Loosen the clamp bolt and rotate it slightly so that the linkage moves up toward the valve. Do this in small increments then go put the system back in automatic mode and turn on the ignition switch. Let a little bit of air out of the accumulator tank being carful not to lower the coach on yourself and give the system a few minutes to stabilize. Then turn everything off and put the park and level switch back into the manual mode and go back under and measure the distance between the bottom of the top mounting plate of the air bag and the top of the bottom plate to see if it is the same as the left one which on my 95 was supposed to be 11 inches. Repeat adjusting until they are equal and then lock the adjuster in place.

When I adjusted mine a quarter of an inch made a big difference.

Regards,
Neil V
2001 Winnebago Adventurer WFG35U
billr30656 is offline   Reply With Quote