Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-08-2016, 06:10 PM   #15

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Lisa,

Just FYI at the FMCA rally in Perry, GA in March they will be having a hands on driving course. Just thought I would pass it on if you were going.

Bob
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-09-2016, 06:23 PM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
I'm also intend to learn how to drive our new Monaco. I'm really nervous but I think lots of practice will ease my jitters. I just think it's very necessary especially if something should happen or illness prevents DH from driving. Great tips here!
Old 01-10-2016, 07:08 AM   #17

I am so excited about all these tips.

I have driven my husband's F150 and it doesn't feel too much different than that. I would like to take a driver's class, but cannot travel long distances due to lack of vacation time until I retire (again). But, I do have a friend that drives a school bus and bet he would give a few classes. Hopefully, this spring I can really start practicing.
LisaE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 07:32 AM   #18

Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaE View Post
I am so excited about all these tips.

I have driven my husband's F150 and it doesn't feel too much different than that. I would like to take a driver's class, but cannot travel long distances due to lack of vacation time until I retire (again). But, I do have a friend that drives a school bus and bet he would give a few classes. Hopefully, this spring I can really start practicing.
As long as you use your own rig, yeap.
Old 01-10-2016, 08:41 AM   #19
YC1

https://search.yahoo.com/search?p=la...12&type=926458

Excellent training videos.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 10:34 PM   #20

NO-ONE can tell you how to drive, you must learn by practice. Sure some-one can tell you the basics, IF they know the correct basics.
There are a multitude of Utube videos to help with learning the basics.
is just one. You'll find many more such videos on the webpage, like
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 06:42 AM   #21

Carolina Campers
What Ray,IN said is true...no one can really teach you how to drive a MH BUT the flip side of that, how does one learn to drive a car...(I'm 61 so driving schools were not common) but I do remember driving in parking lots LONG before being allowed on the road and when finally on the road, an experienced driver was with you. (Usually a parent). Same idea...

You actually have to get behind the wheel, not in front of a youtube, to see how something that big handles in a parking lot then moving to real streets. That's why a driving school is so invaluable. And SOMETIMES taking the course and getting the proof will help with your insurance.

But bottom line is to practice IN your MH. And practice where you are far less likely to hit anything.
Old 01-13-2016, 06:45 AM   #22

Carolina Campers
Oh, and it took our instructor to prove just how tight a turning radius we had in our MH. He stood JUST in front about an arm's length out (I was on the side to make sure the wheels did not straighten) and then told my hubby to make a HARD right turn...it was amazing to see how little clearance we actually needed versus our perceived amount.
Old 01-13-2016, 09:21 AM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaE View Post
We bought our RV last month and I did drive it about 5 miles on country roads before the sale. However, I need lots of practice and was looking for tips.

I believe my DH will be the main driver and we just took it to storage yesterday. I was thinking about practicing how to turn and back up in this storage lot with some orange cones, since the storage lot is big with wide paved lanes and lots of turning around room.

Any ideas how to get proficient? Thanks for your comments.
Practice. I had only driven a motor home a few times prior to looking for one and it was pretty nerve racking the first couple of times we took one out for a test drive. One of the salesmen at MOT put me at ease by telling me that I did much better than a lot of other people he drove with.

I find that having previous experience driving a truck with a long 5th wheel provided some of the skills and habits that you need to drive a MH like how not to cut a corner and end up hitting a pole or running in a ditch. I use my mirrors a lot while moving forward!
barmcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 06:26 PM   #24

Tiffin Owners Club
definitely take a course if you can . It really helps.
eprman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 07:17 PM   #25

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
DW has never driven any of our MH's nor even our P/U and TT. Should have started her driving the 1988 Type B MH we bought new and taught her to drive each newer and bigger as we got them. But I valued our marriage too much to try and do that! New she just sleeps as I drive, won't even help navigate.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote