Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 01-08-2016, 02:49 AM   #1
Learning How to Drive an RV

We bought our RV last month and I did drive it about 5 miles on country roads before the sale. However, I need lots of practice and was looking for tips.

I believe my DH will be the main driver and we just took it to storage yesterday. I was thinking about practicing how to turn and back up in this storage lot with some orange cones, since the storage lot is big with wide paved lanes and lots of turning around room.

Any ideas how to get proficient? Thanks for your comments.

Robert, Lisa and Piccolo (Yorkie), Vivi (Min Pin), Dixie (Yorkie)
Jayco 2013 Greyhawk 31FK
RVM 131
LisaE is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-08-2016, 03:05 AM   #2
Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You have the right idea about using the storage facility if it has the room. Another option is a big parking lot. Using the cones for reference are a great idea but hopefully the DH can be there as well to help. Your two biggest friends on your rig are your mirrors. Learn how to adjust them to your liking and rely on them. If you have a backup camera it's also a great help. There is plenty of info on the net to help. Try this one rv-roadtrips.thefuntimesguide.com it appears to have some great info and you can also take a look at some videos as well. Good Luck and enjoy your travels. Be Safe. Practice, practice, practice.

Steve & Sally / HiTee & Hudson Our Little Poms / Heidi & Houston Forever in our Hearts
04 NEWMAR MACA 3778 W22 / 05 PT Vert
Michigan (Summer) Florida (Winter)
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 03:07 AM   #3
Community Moderator

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Did you buy from a dealer? If so, did you ask them if they offer driving classes? If not, you could Google search for classes in your area.
Mike, RVIA & RVSA Certified Master RV Technician
Amy, Dr. Assistant - Roxie & Mei Ling, four legs each
2000 Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser 450 hp & 1330# torque
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 04:12 AM   #4
Watch this and lots of practice!

cavedvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 05:14 AM   #5

Holiday Rambler Owners Club

Check out the Lazy Daze videos. I have driven rv's for nearly 40 years and they gave me additional confidence and some new tricks.
Myron & Deborah
08 HR Endeavor 40 SKQ
2012 Ford Edge Limited FWD 3.5L
Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 10:09 AM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
A big part of driving RV is knowing where you are in the lane. Run a hose, rope or whatever along street side wheels and straight out in front. Adjust chair and yourself to a normal driving position and look thru windshield at the line. Put a small piece of tape on windshield that lines up with the rope. Think gun sight. Now you have a reference that will tell you quickly just where you are in the lane. 50,000 plus miles in class A driving and I still use my dot on the windshield.
Challenger Owners Club
2015 37KT Challenger, Demco Commander tow bar, Ready Brake, Sewer Solutions, Safe-T-Plus 41-230, 5-Star tune with 2014 Ford Fiesta behind us & 385 FastTrack kayak inside.
ctpres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 10:34 AM   #7
Entegra Owners Club

Driving an RV is a piece of cake...my 13 year old Grandson can drive the motorhome.

The real issue is to have the situational awareness necessary to navigate it down the road.... you know, knowing where all the other vehicles around you are and what they're doing....vehicles merging from the right or left....obstructions in the road, etc.... My wife is a good driver and can drive the motorhome with difficulty, but she will run over anything in the road....doesn't matter what it is....old tire, animal, tree limb...you name!

It's all about the situation
Dr. Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 10:42 AM   #8
Maybe this guy gives lessons
2015 Fleetwood Discovery 40G
2014 CRV w/EZ Tow
jondrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 11:09 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
according to your avatar, you are just driving a van (on steroids) so think of it as that with the only caveat is that you need to be aware of the width and height.

Just practice - go slow and be in no rush until your comfort level comes up !!! if you get concerned, just STOP !

The largest thing the wife had driven before was a large Ford Excursion SUV... but on our way back after new years trip she jumped in the drivers seat on the nice wide Interstate I-49 through Losing-Annie and did fine... even in the 44 foot coach towing the jeep !

At first I had to warn her a couple of times that she was slowing down to 45 on a 75 mph interstate, but after a short while she realized it was almost like driving anything, just watch the height and make the front end fit she even got up to 65 mph a couple of times !!!

Now, she only did the interstate and we swapped at the exit... but just go for it !
If you really are sad and think nobody cares, just try missing a few payments ! '11 Monaco Diplomat 43DFT RR10R pushed by a Demco Excali-Bar II hitch which is pushed by a '14 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport.
JohnBoyToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 11:46 AM   #10
Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Spartan Chassis
There are RV Driving schools out there. One I have used in the past is RV School.com. I used them to learn how to properly operate my travel trailer on the highway as well as my 38 ft Dutch Star.

RV School has instructors located all over the country and are pretty reasonably priced (I think).
2001 Newmar Dutch Star DSDP3852 - FMCA# F454599, NKK# 21292, Spartan MM-2242 Chassis
8.3L Cummins ISC 330 HP / Allison MD3000MH
Me, Wife, "Navigators" Desi & Lucy [Chihuahua/Jack Russell Terrier mix]
cbramsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 01:45 PM   #11
If you can you should find another woman that likes to drives a motorhome. You are right to learn how but that is too often to do it "in case". Look to learn and then do it, enjoy it.
Don't let hubby have all the fun. You might be surprised to find how many women really enjoy it. (and are extremely good at it)
BigBadDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 01:49 PM   #12
Originally Posted by BigBadDad View Post
If you can you should find another woman that likes to drives a motorhome. You are right to learn how but that is too often to do it "in case". Look to learn and then do it, enjoy it.
Don't let hubby have all the fun. You might be surprised to find how many women really enjoy it. (and are extremely good at it)
My wife can drive it fine. She'd rather be in the passenger seat with her feet up watching the insides of her eyelids.
2015 Fleetwood Discovery 40G
2014 CRV w/EZ Tow
jondrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 02:15 PM   #13

I'm not familiar with your hometown, but it's probably bigger than ours (pop. 18,000 or so). What several friends have done is to ask either one of the local transit agency's drivers or, more often, a school-bus driver to give her some lessons in the RV. After all, most school-bus drivers are women and they can horse a 40-foot bus with 70 screaming grade-schoolers aboard through residential neighborhoods and take them on field trips too.

Unfortunately my wife couldn't fit the very limited adjustability of our F-53 rig. The Flexsteel seat was too high for her feet to reach the floor and had no vertical adjustment. It also didn't adjust far enough forward for her to reach the pedals. More trouble came from the steering column, which had very limited angular adjustment and no telescoping adjustment.

As a result, I was the only driver. At 5'9" and with fairly long arms, I could reach everything. Since I got back cramps after about 150 miles, our trip segments were fairly short. After 4 seasons of diminishing enjoyment, we gave up and sold the rig.

If we were to restart, it would have to be a proper bus chassis DP. I drove transit for a couple of years after retiring, and the buses (Gilligs) had Recaro seats with more adjustment options I'd ever seen, along with a double-jointed steering column with a telescopic upper section. We had drivers ranging in size from 5'3" to 6'9" and everyone could get a comfortable position. I could handle a 9-hour day with only a couple of 20-minute breaks to stretch and snack.
Frank Damp -Anacortes, WA,(DW- Eileen)
ex-pat Brits (1968) and now ex-RVers, as of 08 Dec 14.
frankdamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 06:06 PM   #14
Newmar Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Lisa, I agree you need to know how to drive your rig. What happens if you are out on a trip and something happens to incapacitate your husband?

As my husband mentioned (he's cbramsey above), there are driving schools out there. The guy who taught us is local to our area, thank goodness. And he actually said I was better at driving the 38 ft DP than my husband.

MY issue is finding a comfortable position...I have to be almost in the steering wheel to reach the gas and brake pedal.

2001 Newmar Dutch Star DSDP3852
Me, Husband, Desi & Lucy [Jack Russell Terrier/Chihuahua mix]
We leave the feline contingent at home.
southernlady is online now   Reply With Quote