Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 03-26-2012, 04:36 PM   #15
Newmar Owners Club
Hi LSC9901,
For me the answer is no. We 1/2 time in the coach. During the winter the coach may sit for 3 weeks without being used. The main tank valve remains open to keep the regulator and lines pressurized with propane. The coach is parked next to the stick house.

2005 Newmar KSDP 3910 + GMC ENVOY XUV 37K lbs Moving Down The Road
The Avatar Is Many Times Around The USA
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-30-2012, 09:20 AM   #16
Monaco Owners Club
Originally Posted by UFO Pilot View Post
I only turn the propane off when I am filling the tank. Haven't had any problems so far.
Same here. Just takes a few more minutes in the spring to get the appliances working again.

FMCA# 266040 HRRVC# 84109
2000 32' HR Vacationer w/Banks
'98 Subaru Outback 5 spd toad
SRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 06:19 PM   #17

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I'm with the leave it on crowd, only time it's shut off is in the fall when we put our motorhome into storage. Our fridge is left on once we take it out of storage in the spring and load it up for the season. We like the security of having the propane as backup for the fridge if we should unknowingly lose power while it's parked in our back yard.
Steve & Nancy
2005 Itasca Sunrise 33', W20 Chassis, Ultrapower, Henderson Trac Bar
2012 Chevy Captiva Sport AWD, ReadyBrute Elite Tow Bar, Blue Ox Base Plate, Protect-A-Tow
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 06:43 PM   #18
Originally Posted by Cat320 View Post
Off at the end of each trip. I see no advantage in leaving it on.
Ditto. It might be harmless but I turn it off at the end of each trip too.
2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL by Forest River / 2011 Toyota Tundra
Great Choice for "Living within my means" and Camping for one...
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 07:07 PM   #19
Off when refilling tank or loading on a ferry - otherwise on and ready to use. See no purpose in turning it off.
98 Beaver Monterey, 3126 Cat
2010 Toyota Matrix on dolly
beachboy27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 12:06 AM   #20
iRV2 No Limits Club
Been RV'ing since 1957, have never made it a practice to turn the propane off. The system is designed, built, tested and certified to be on while in transit. The only time mine is off is when filling, once every couple years in fact.
2009 45' Magna 630 w/Cummins ISX 650 HP/1950 Lbs Ft
Charter Good Sam Lifetime Member, FMCA, SKP
RV'ing since 1957, NRA Benefactor Life, towing '05 Odyssey
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 12:09 AM   #21
The main reason I do turn off the propane is that my TT is parked at a storage place and not at home.
2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL by Forest River / 2011 Toyota Tundra
Great Choice for "Living within my means" and Camping for one...
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 10:43 PM   #22
Originally Posted by wanderso View Post
We are in the northwest and are enjoying our first "real " camping of the 2012 season. I've always been in the habit of turning off the propane after the trip for safety reasons but this means needing to bleed the system (run a stove burner) each time. Also, the fridge and dsi water heater require several relight attempts. Furnace does not seem to have the problem.

This has been true on my last 2 rigs.

So - do others follow is same safety habit or do you leave the propane valve open for the season? In my case, we camp at least one weekend per month from March - October and do a week or two of vacation.

I would check for a very small leak.

Propane appliances (furnace, refrigerator and water heaters) normally operate on a regulate propane supply pressure from the tank of 11 inches of water column with all appliances operating.

Information 1
When all of the appliances are shut OFF and the tank is left ON. The propane tank regulator will maintain the system at 11 inches of pressure even it there are any leaks in the system.

Information 2
When all of the appliance are shut Off and the tank is also shut OFF. The system shoiuld maintain the 11 inches of pressure. It could drop to equal atmospheric pressure.

Air pressure should not enter the system that would require extensive bleeding.

A vacuum has to be created in the system to suck air into the system. A vacuum could be created by ambient air temperature variations but this would take some time to develop.

I would do an extensive pressure test using high quality propane rated soap bubbles. Keeping in mind that propane is heavier than air and it will seak a lower point just like water.

One place to check are standing pilots on some stove cook tops.

We have had a truck camper, 2 class C motorhomes and 2 class A motorhome. The only time that the propane tank is shut off is in storage.

The tank is ALWAYS shut OFF during filling.

Dwight LTC ARNG Ret
Steam Fitter by trade RET

2005 KSDP ISC 8.3 330HP
Pulling 2010 Silverado with drive shaft disconnect
Beowulf2 is offline   Reply With Quote