Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-12-2011, 08:54 AM   #15

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Advantages of leaving them out: To be honest, save for wear and tear on the machinery. I can't really think of any.

Advantages of pulling them in: Lower profile.. If something falls where the slide was when out, ZERO damage happens. Leaks, do not leak Even in high wind conditions (have had water blow past my seals) high winds have less effect on the motor home, ZERO chance of damage to the slide topper, And more.

So,,,,,, Looking at the balance sheet: RETRACT.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-12-2011, 11:26 AM   #16

To be safe, I'd pull them in, but for just a week with favorable weather, no harm in leaving them out.
Blaster 22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 12:15 PM   #17

Speaking of toppers and since this thread has just about run it's course, my toppers do not have the aluminum roll-over covers like my porch and window awnings. Can they be added? One of them is already showing sun damage.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 06:26 PM   #18

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I'd be more concerned about your fridge while you are gone, leave the propane on and leave the fridge in "auto" mode so if the electricity fails for whatever reason your food is still safe as the fridge will automatically switch over to propane.
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 06:33 PM   #19

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
I took all of your advice and closed the slides last night before we left. I locked the compartments and I left that note on the door.

Unfortunately, our fridge does not automatically switch over. It has to be manually switched from AC to LP...

But thanks for the helpful tip.

Faith
fansill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 08:16 AM   #20

Faith, help me out here, it makes for a good day when I learn something new. I see by your sig that your coach is a 2005 and therefore I would expect it would have either a dometic or Norcold frdige. I would be very surprised if the fridge didn't automatically switch as I had always believed all of the recent Dometic and Norcold propane/electric RV fridges has the automatically switch over capability. What brand/model fridge do you have?
Old 09-17-2011, 10:18 AM   #21

what do you guys do if you are snowbirds pull your slides every time you go out?
hauls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 10:21 AM   #22

It depends on the condition of the outside walls. If the slide topper awning and outside surfaces of the slide are dry, go ahead and suck in. Otherwise there is no harm in leaving it out for just a week or two.