Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-09-2006, 03:57 PM   #1

Is it a good practice to leave the motor home pluged in to electrical power when not in use? Do you disconnect the batteries or leave them connected?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-09-2006, 03:57 PM   #2

Is it a good practice to leave the motor home pluged in to electrical power when not in use? Do you disconnect the batteries or leave them connected?

Old 01-09-2006, 04:12 PM   #3

Depends on what kind of charger ( converter - inverter ) you have. Can it automatically adjust the charge rate as the battery bank approaches fully charged - then yes but you will want to check the water level about every 30 days or so. JMHO

Pushed by a KITTY KAT
wallynm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 04:38 PM   #4

Well for me once the batteries are fully charged, I do not leave it plugged in when not in use. I do not disconnect the batteries. I do check them and run the engine and generator monthly while in storage.
Old 01-09-2006, 04:59 PM   #5

We leave ours plugged in 24/7, and leave the batteries on. We also have a smart charger and check the battery water level at least once a month.

2004 Newmar Kountry Star 3560
RobAndTeresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 05:50 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
I leave mine plugged in any time power is available. I added a small amount of water after 11 months but the plates were not uncovered.

Chargers used today do not overcharge unless they are defective.

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 09:55 AM   #7

Add me to the always plugged in crowd. I leave the batteries in on position just like it is in camp. I check and top up, if required, the house bank every 3 months or so with only distilled water. It's never down much but the four 6 volts take about 10 or 12 onzes a time.
Old 01-10-2006, 01:53 PM   #8

When the MH sits for extended times it is plugged in 24/7. But I use a small inexpensive timer between the shore power and the motorhome. I set the timer to come on about 2 hours a day. For us that ends the having add water to the batteries. I also use a Trik-L-Start to keep the engine battery charged. The Trik-L-Start allows the engine battery to charge off the coach batteries. You can learn more about the Trik-L-Start here: here

2000 Itasca 35U
N8XV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 11:32 PM   #9

I make sure all batteries are fully charged. I have a disconnect swith on the batteries and turn that off to ensure nothing can drain them while stored. I only plug my rig in a few days before leaving on a trip if the weather is cold enough to warrant it being plugged in. I believe keeping it plugged in for two long a period can't do much for the block heater and you're really using up alot of power for nothing. Worked for me thus far but only my opinion.
Old 01-14-2006, 07:26 AM   #10

My 2004 DSDP is plugged in 24/7.

2004 DSDP 3807, 370HP Spartan
tmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 09:19 AM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
If you are not using your motorhome for the winter and are storing it where the temperature is freezing, you should keep them in a fully charged state or remove them to keep them from freezing. We've put our MH into storage and I removed the batteries and have them at home with us and they are hooked up to a couple battery tenders (smart chargers) 24/7. If I had access to electricity where I store the MH I would have left them in the MH and just hooked up the chargers. I've used Deltron Battery Tenders for decades now and have never had to add water to my batteries as the tenders monitor the charge level of the batteries and automatically adjust to a floating charge that maintains a fully charged status without overcharging and boiling the water out. I firmly believe that the life of my batteries has been doubled or tripled with the use of the battery tenders which are available through various sources and manufacturers for about $40.00. I own and use 3, one for my motorcycle battery, one for the engine battery of our motorhome, and one for the two house batteries hooked up in parallel for the motorhome. Everything fires up great in the spring when I hook all the batteries up again!

Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote