Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-17-2010, 04:52 PM   #29

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Most RV fridges use closer to 3 amps at 120 volts.. However some may use more.

I belong to the leave it on crowd.. Truthfully I agree with the person who said the moisture is the big killer.. Electric heat is very very dry heat (unlike gas heat which is moist) so by all means leave it on.. Plus when you need it.. it is already COLD!

Another issue with Refrigerators, both home and RV, is if you turn them off you have to very quickly clean the inside, and prop the door open

Or they get real nasty, and I mean NASTY, very fast.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-17-2010, 05:09 PM   #30

Newmar Owners Club
One other thought, if you leave your refrigerator on be sure to fill it with something, otherwise the refrigerator will run constantly because there is nothing in there to hold the cold. Before I started to fulltime I used to fill gallon jugs of water and load up the refrigerator and freezer, once the water got cold the refrigerator would run to maintain temperature and save duty on the cooling unit and I always had ice cold water for the next trip.

RJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 09:59 PM   #31

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Spartan Chassis
We leave ours on 24/7. Same on the last coach. Draws 3-4 amps. Keeps us ready to go with minimum loading time. We try to get out in the coach at least every other weekend and when we aren't on the road, we are working on the unit the other weekend and enjoying that cold fridge.
2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4x4
deaton is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 07:13 PM   #32

Tiffin Owners Club
Over the years with several RV's I've always left ours plugged in, never had a fridge go bad.

As for running on gas, if you run your fridge on gas, you should learn how to clean the flue. I learned this the hard way-- For every gallon of propane you burn, a gallon of water within the propane is released. This water will cause the flue to rust, which leads to flaking, which restricts the flow of air, which causes the flame to burn rich, which causes soot to build up on the flakes very quickly, which causes the flue to plug up even faster, and before you know it, you're buying a new fridge because it won't stay lit, and the only problem is the flue is plugged up!

and if memory serves, the 120v heating element uses the same flue for ventilation...

Sorry for veering off--
PlayItForwrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 11:23 PM   #33

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Ours has been on since we bought it. We keep it stocked with condiments, water & other drinks, including maybe a little beer, and extras or sometimes left overs that we don't have room for in the house fridge. Now that it is hurricane season, we try to keep the coach fully stocked so that when a hurricane comes into the Gulf all we have to do is empty the house fridge and freezer, jacks up, go!
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 09:57 AM   #34
JC2

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayItForwrd View Post
Over the years with several RV's I've always left ours plugged in, never had a fridge go bad.

As for running on gas, if you run your fridge on gas, you should learn how to clean the flue. I learned this the hard way-- For every gallon of propane you burn, a gallon of water within the propane is released. This water will cause the flue to rust, which leads to flaking, which restricts the flow of air, which causes the flame to burn rich, which causes soot to build up on the flakes very quickly, which causes the flue to plug up even faster, and before you know it, you're buying a new fridge because it won't stay lit, and the only problem is the flue is plugged up!

and if memory serves, the 120v heating element uses the same flue for ventilation...

Sorry for veering off--
What procedures/equipment do you use for cleaning the fridge flue.

Thanks
Old 07-31-2010, 01:10 PM   #35

My norcold 1200 is over 10 years old and i have NEVER kept it plugged in 24/7
It gets turned on only during usage. Plugged in is not such a bad idea unless you
do maintain your refrigerator by cleaning the flue (i doubt most RVers do that)
The more you run it, the more you maintain (cleaning) it. For me once a year
cleaning is good enough.

For the rust problem, i am not sure a sealed cooling unit will be subjected to rust
inside. If in doubt just turn on the refrigerator overnight and turn it off in the morning
which should burn off any condensation and do it once every 10-15 days, depending
on the area you live in (moisture wise)

Dealers don't keep refrigerators plugged in. Some coaches take a long time to sell, close
to a year in this economy. I suppose their refrigerators are questionable now, right?
Old 08-01-2010, 11:30 AM   #36

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
We keep ours on all the time . when parked in the yard in the winter I usually turn the fridge off when the tempetures start to go below freezing.
Bob N Deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 10:46 PM   #37

Fleetwood Owners Club
Leave it on

I have been RVing since 95. except for defrosting our ''refer'' has never been turned off deliberately. We leave it on 110 beside the house when we park the coach and NEVER TURN IF OFF. except to defrost. We use one of those 'inside fans'' when we put ''stuff'' in the unit to circulate the air.
That is my 2 cents worth.
If this info helps you ..... you must pay me ten cents the next time you see me. of course ...... IF IT DONT WORK FOR YOU....I NEVER KNEW YOU ...