Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-14-2015, 12:57 PM   #1

LED Light

So what is a good LED light to use for light fixtures to replace 1141 bulbs? I have tried two different styles now first a flat panel with tape on back side to attach the light. With in a couple of minutes they got so hot they melted the glue off the tape and fell down onto the lens. The second style was long and round with about 56 chips. Lots of light but again with in a couple of minutes very hot. Smoke was coming off of them even! Checked the voltage at the fixtures and running at 13.2 dc with converter on so that does not appear to be an issue. These came off EBay so maybe just cheep bulbs. They seem to get much hotter than the 1141's do. Thanks for any ideas. Dennis
ihc1470 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-14-2015, 02:51 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
If you're sure of the voltage at the light, you might want to install a resistor to reduce voltage to just about 12 v. Your LEDs shouldn't get hot. Better LEDs have a voltage limiting resistor built in because unregulated LEDs can burn out prematurely.

When I'm looking for replacement LEDs, I always consider the Lumen output of the original bulb and the LED lumens. That is right after the color of the light. I prefer lights in the 2500k-3200k range. Higher ratings get too blue for my taste.

This web site has the Lumen info for your 1141 bulbs, I can't speak about their LEDs, but it's a source of information.

LED RV Lumen Light Output Information

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 03:50 PM   #3

I swear by M4 LEDs. I've retro-fitted my 40' motorhome from front to back-kitchen, map, reading, bathroom, even my storage bays!! They don't get hot at all and they have no flicker problems, and they come in a variety of color temperatures, and of course they are super bright.
Yes, they are pricey, but look at it as an investment.
Here is their website: it has a great reference chart that will give you all the details about what you'll need for an 1141
M4 Products
Ryan7361 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 10:50 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan7361 View Post
I swear by M4 LEDs. I've retro-fitted my 40' motorhome from front to back-kitchen, map, reading, bathroom, even my storage bays!! They don't get hot at all and they have no flicker problems, and they come in a variety of color temperatures, and of course they are super bright.
Yes, they are pricey, but look at it as an investment.
Here is their website: it has a great reference chart that will give you all the details about what you'll need for an 1141
M4 Products
X2!
Jim28730 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 06:32 PM   #5

Don't buy LEDs rated at only 12 volts. Get LEDs rated 12 to 24 volts or higher.
Old 06-23-2015, 06:50 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Good information above. I will also be replacing my 1141 bulbs soon.

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 06-23-2015, 07:28 PM   #7

I bought these 20 x Warm White 1156 RV camper Trailer 27 SMD LED 1141 1003 Interior Light Bulbs | eBay

They have the same color temperature as the bulbs I had. They seem to be working fine, but who knows about how long they will last.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left
powderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 08:49 PM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
I used the flat panel ones also, but I removed the double sticky tape and glued the panels to the ceiling fixture.

Upgrading coach lights to LEDs | 2001 Coachmen Mirada 300QB

A nice thing about the LED panels, I can add a variable resistor to make it a dimmer.

Adding a dimmer to LED lighting | 2001 Coachmen Mirada 300QB

AND, I also added a wall switch to make it a LOW-MED-HIGH

Adding bathroom light wall switch converts ceiling fixture to LOW-MED-HIGH | 2001 Coachmen Mirada 300QB

Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 03:49 AM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
There are several.. Most of the 1141 replacements I have here are round things with several strips of LEDs.. They are ok. I like a "Cool White" as opposed to a Warm White and most of them are warm.

I have some ECO-LEDs I got at assorted RV dealers. they are expensive (like 18-20 a pop) Disc shaped. with an adapter to fit the lamp socket.

Those are the best.. But expensive... I also have two of them with leads coming off the side and NO adapter.. These replaced the 10 watt Halogen lamps in my puck lights.. Very happy with them.
Old 07-18-2015, 06:24 PM   #10

10-30 volts is the rating on the LEDs I've been using, which are these: 1141 LED, 360 Lumens, Warm White, 10-30vdc

They have free shipping and a lifetime warranty as well.
billandcarol is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
led, light