Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-11-2014, 07:02 AM   #1
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
LED light strip on slide under awning?

I remember a while back there was a thread about installing a strip of LED lights on the side of the coach under the awning. They were multi-color with a remote control. My kitchen slide is under the awning and I would like to install the lights at the top of the slideout. I can drill a small hole and bring the wire into the kitchen cabinets inside for power.

Does anybody remember the thread and can tell me where to find the lights? Thanks!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-11-2014, 08:33 AM   #2
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I found these on E-Bay. Not sure if that's the one I saw before. I thought the ones before were around $35, but they could have gone up since then.

RV Awning Color Changeable LED Lights w Remote Motor Home Camper | eBay
Old 10-11-2014, 01:48 PM   #3

I've bought a lot from Amazon
Old 10-14-2014, 09:11 AM   #4

we have a Fleetwood 34T w/kitchen slideout....installed the led light strip under the trim molding the lenght of the rv...
ssgwsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 11:37 PM   #5

We used a set of these underneath our awning and they work great. What ever you buy make sure you get the waterproof ones. Everyone always comments on the different light patterns and variations you can program and how "cool" they look.
5M SMD RGB 5050 Waterproof Strip Light 300 LED 44 Key IR Remote 12V 5A Power | eBay
MoparHauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 08:48 AM   #6
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
[QUOTE=MoparHauler;2270077]We used a set of these underneath our awning and they work great. What ever you buy make sure you get the waterproof ones. Everyone always comments on the different light patterns and variations you can program and how "cool" they look.
5M SMD RGB 5050 Waterproof Strip Light 300 LED 44 Key IR Remote 12V 5A Power | eBay[/QUOTE

That looks like what I need! What options do you have on the remote control for different light variations? I see that the remote is IR. Where is the IR receiver that the remote has to see? Thanks!
Old 10-26-2014, 08:58 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Joe & Annette:

We added a strip of LED lights at the top of each slide (and over the door). In each case, we first installed a 1/2" aluminum "L" which is attached by 3M double-side tape to the top of the slide. The "L" is tucked up underneath the slide topper cover (otherwise, the "L" would be visible and ugly). For the strip over the door, the aluminum "L" is tucked up under the A&E awning cover. [If 1/2" does not work for you, the aluminum comes in all kinds of sizes and shapes at HomeDepot].

The strip of LED lights is attached to the downward-facing part of the "L" with double-sided tape. The LEDs point straight downward, rather than outward. A 1/8" hole is drilled at the end of the "L" for access to power.

What the "L" allows is for the LED lighting to point down the side of the MH and illuminate the walking path around the MH.

Just another idea for you!

\ken
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0311c.jpg
Views:	272
Size:	54.2 KB
ID:	77478   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140707_203747c.jpg
Views:	343
Size:	36.7 KB
ID:	77479  

Ken, Deb, & Gadget (WIT Club, FMCA, SKP, and grateful volunteers with Habitat for Humanity and SOWERs), traveling in a well-behaved 2005 Winnebago Vectra 40FD w/1100w solar, some gee-golly-whizbang, and a TRAILERED 2015 Cherokee TrailHawk toad.
Bumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 09:21 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Very nice Ken!

I love it!

Jesse
Jbmsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 02:46 PM   #9
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumps View Post
Joe & Annette:

We added a strip of LED lights at the top of each slide (and over the door). In each case, we first installed a 1/2" aluminum "L" which is attached by 3M double-side tape to the top of the slide. The "L" is tucked up underneath the slide topper cover (otherwise, the "L" would be visible and ugly). For the strip over the door, the aluminum "L" is tucked up under the A&E awning cover. [If 1/2" does not work for you, the aluminum comes in all kinds of sizes and shapes at HomeDepot].

The strip of LED lights is attached to the downward-facing part of the "L" with double-sided tape. The LEDs point straight downward, rather than outward. A 1/8" hole is drilled at the end of the "L" for access to power.

What the "L" allows is for the LED lighting to point down the side of the MH and illuminate the walking path around the MH.

Just another idea for you!

\ken
Thanks Ken! Good job! Where did you get your led's and what kind of control do you have on them? I would like to find a set that can be programmed to alternate between colors automatically, and hopefully one that the remote works on RF instead of IR.
Old 10-26-2014, 05:32 PM   #10

Holiday Rambler Owners Club

Installed pretty easy. Drilled hole into cabinet and taped remote sensor to glass. (LED remote and TV remote have some cross interferrences.

The only drawback is now several LEDs are partially out (see different colors in Pix).
Playtime III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 01:18 PM   #11

I would get a controller that was RF and not IR. That way you don't need line of site. That is what I installed and it works great
gvisnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 05:36 PM   #12
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvisnic View Post
I would get a controller that was RF and not IR. That way you don't need line of site. That is what I installed and it works great

Do you have a link to the specific one you bought?
Old 10-27-2014, 07:19 PM   #13

I do not have the paperwork at home. I believe it is in the motorhome in storage. I did buy from a US company and it did cost a little more than what you can find on ebay. Just do a google search for rf controller for waterproof led light strip
gvisnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 03:35 PM   #14

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Check these out, they have good reviews.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...f_rd_i=desktop

Amazon.com: Estone 10pcs Connector Adapter Cable LED PCB Strip 3528 to 3528 Single Color 8mm Free Welding: Electronics

06 Hurricane 34FT WH W20 Chassis 8.1L 132K, Steersafe, Koni Shocks, DIY Trac Bar, Tri-Metric 2025RV Battery Monitor, 4-6V Batteries, Scan Gauge 2, Crossfires, 735W Solar Morningstar MPPT-60, WG T4 In-Motion Sat, XM Radio, 07 Chevy Malibu Maxx Toad, Falcon 2, Brake Buddy, Escapee
mgscott4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning, slide