Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-11-2011, 08:48 AM   #1

LED replacement lights

My new motorhomecame with four reading lights, two over the sofa and one over each of the twin beds. The lights use a regular bulb, number 1139IF 12v 12w. After it is on for a few minutes, it gets very hot. I would like to replace it with an LED bulb or as a last resort an LED fixture. I have looked all over the internet including the Camping World site and can not find any reference to a 1139IF bulb. Camping World has one 4 inch fixture that looks like it might be replacement for what I have but they cost $50 each.

Does anyone know where I might find a replacement LED bulb?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-11-2011, 08:52 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I found some on E-Bay just search led bulbs, hope this helps

Old 12-11-2011, 09:04 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
G4 12v 6x 3-Chip 5050 SMD Led Cool or Warm White 1.2w=12W [LB-12SG46S] - $4.66 : Led Strips Hero-ledstore.com
Old 12-11-2011, 05:24 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

The 1139IF has a BA15S base, so you can replace it with any Led that has a BA15s base. The question is how much light output do you want (lumens), is it directional or not, and do you prefer warm white or cool white?

rvledbulbs.com has a wide selection of Leds with the BA15s base, e.g. the Revolution 150, 200, 250 and 1156, but none of them will generate a spot beam quite like the 1139IF. The 1139 focuses most of its light forward.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 05:33 PM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
The IF in the part # stands for inside frosted. When looking for a replacement just look 1139.
Old 12-21-2011, 04:08 PM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
This is a real bright reading light. eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices
pkunk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 04:41 PM   #7

With 76 halogen puck lights in the ceiling, they put out a lot of heat at 10watts each and I went on a mission to find an LED replacements for the hot halogens. Many replacements out there for around $16-$25. OOO0$uch!! Along with the G4 puck replacements I also needed around 16 bayonent bases for basement area and closets, not to mention bi-pin for wall lights and a couple of wedge base bulbs. Even more salt to the ouch wound $$$.
Being the gambler I am I was able to do all for under $400...bit the bullet and ordered almost everything direct from China for a mire fraction of the cost for buying from local US co's. If you got the gaul and know what you want, search LED at Dhgate.com. If doing pucks w/G4's, be sure you request non-polarity. Please sit down and heart patients should use advise of your doctor before reviewing the prices.
Best thing is no fear of fires from the pucks, Magnums don't even power up on the display with half of them on, much less load through the AGM's. And it gets even better, the light is whiter, brighter, and no UV's to deal with.
Sounds like an ad, not ...just a share of how to getter done without being robbed.
I did order many of mine at the 100 lot price and my experience was good. Don't think buy American, you are just the importer instead of others. I did buy extras. Remember the rule of gambling...if you can't afford to lose it, don't play, but it worked for me.
Old 12-22-2011, 05:06 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Hey Rob are those G4 replacements on multplex switches with dimmers?? Working ok??
THanks
Twomed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 05:18 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
How to Enable Cookies

Googled dhgate because I was not familiar with them...WOW!!!! I have bought some items direct from China, but like Rob says it is a gamble.
Twomed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 08:23 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Here is a thread I started on 12-12. I have included links to a few on Ebay that I have purchased from.
LED Replacements for G4 halogen bulbs

texnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 05:58 AM   #11

Yes twomed, they dim.
The bulbs I used for the pucks are 12x 5050 SMD, which is the most one can pack on a disk that will fit the fixture. Some are selling replacements that have only 6 or 9 chips. Of course 12 = more light. The 5050 LEDs are brighter than the 3528 LEDs that many are using.
I replaced every bulb in my coach (running lights/tail aready LED). My coach has the intellitec switching system with dimmers and all the LED's dim just as the halogens did. Buying in lots of 100, the puck replacements were $2.53 ea. including shipping. Be sure you get non polarized ones. I used the vendor AprilTang on DHgate. Good people.
Old 12-23-2011, 06:49 AM   #12

FYI about LEDs.
SMD refers to Surface Mounted Device or Diode.
5050 refers to size of the diode 5.0mm x 5.0mm and respectfully,
3528 refers to 3.5mm x 2.8mm.
The 5050 emits about 3 times the light as the 3528 led.
Polarized means negative to negative and positive to positive connections required to work the light.
Non polarized means can be cross wired and will work either way.
Non polarized is accomplished by the addition of a bridge recifier usually mounted on the back of the board. Some rectifiers are larger than others and may obstruct when mounting in puck lights. The fixture can be removed and re-wired to correct polarity.
Warm white Leds are about 4500 kelvins, where bright whites are about 6500k. Natural white is in the middle, but harder to find. Watch out for the bright whites, brighter light, but bluish light and "cold". The 10w halogens like those found in many RV lights are around 3200K.
The G4 replacements for puck lights are side pins and the bulb cannot be turned around to correct polarity issues as one can with other types of bi-pin bulbs.
Bayonet base leds are polarized, but the bulb fits only one way (1157 double contact) or makes no difference in 1141 single contact.
Most LEDs are dimmable.
Hope this is of use to those converting to LEDs.
I recommend it.
Old 12-23-2011, 07:16 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Great info. Thanks Rob.
SVTotem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 11:10 AM   #14

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I bought a couple of replacement LED bulbs at the Quartzsite RV show last year for my 1139 bulbs. My fixtures don't swivel far enough to compensate for the narrow beam width and I found them unsuitable for reading.

Tags
lights, replacement