Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-23-2013, 11:01 AM   #29

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Heat

I have higher voltage and less tolerance for heat. I measured the fixture with an infrared thermometer and after 2 hours it was in the high 150's. That was too hot for me.

My coach voltages run into the 14's. the 12x8 LED array I put in my refer gets very hot if left on too long, but at $2 to replace it it's not worth regulating. The 1157 bulbs don't seem to get quite as hot but they are probably rated at 13-14 volts because they're intended for cars. The roll LEDs are rated for 12v and are intended to be run off of regulated power supplies. Many of them are sold with a wall-wart supply. I used adjustable regulators and the cool white LEDs are not quite as blue with only 10-11v.

Heat also makes the 3M glue melt. If you're strings come un-glued that's probably why.

Or maybe I got a roll from a different fab than you did?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-23-2013, 02:11 PM   #30

Question for yall. All of this talk about significantly reducing energy consumption begs the question. By the time you have your 12x8 LED array, what is your actual current draw or wattage compared to the incandescent or fluorescent solution you replaced?

Chris

akeyzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 11:57 AM   #31

Nor'easters Club
I couldn't agree more that LED lighting conversions and replacements are great! Especially when boondocking. I went from All lights on draw of over 20 amps to 2.2 amps! ANd they look great as long as you get a color that pleases you. I went with the 3200K (color temp) bulbs for more of a warm incandescent feel.

On another note, the typical 1 and 2 tube fluorescent overhead lights can be converted fully, or you can do what I did and add a switch plus the LEDs so you can have both, either or none.

I wrote up an article with photos on how to do that...it's available here:

WanderMan: Convert Fluorescent Lights To LED Dual Use

Perhaps that will help.

Now that I've done all my lights to LED's I'd never go back. Many manufacturers are going to LED from the factory. It's the future!

Rich "The Wanderman"
Wanderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 04:02 AM   #32

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderman View Post
I couldn't agree more that LED lighting conversions and replacements are great! Especially when boondocking. I went from All lights on draw of over 20 amps to 2.2 amps! ANd they look great as long as you get a color that pleases you. I went with the 3200K (color temp) bulbs for more of a warm incandescent feel.

On another note, the typical 1 and 2 tube fluorescent overhead lights can be converted fully, or you can do what I did and add a switch plus the LEDs so you can have both, either or none.

I wrote up an article with photos on how to do that...it's available here:

WanderMan: Convert Fluorescent Lights To LED Dual Use

Perhaps that will help.

Now that I've done all my lights to LED's I'd never go back. Many manufacturers are going to LED from the factory. It's the future!

Rich "The Wanderman"
thanks for posting the link to your article.
what is your source for the warm white led strips? why didn't you need to use a voltage regulator?
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 06:21 AM   #33

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The problems with LED conversions is some are good, some.. not so much.. I have bought a lot of LED's and from (usually) places that were recommended to me and not been inpressed for the most part.

Years ago I bought a 1157 Replacement at, I think Pep Boys, I used this in a reading lamp I had installed in the headboard of my bed.. Very impressed with it. Brighter if anything (Well directionally brighter) than the 1157.

I got a bunch via the internet (Not at all impressed too blue, too dim)

Got some at Loves.. Took 'em back only one worked and it was dim

Got one from Fred Brandbury (Google him) Decent, I give it about an 8 to 9, It is acceptable I think fred charges 15 bucks.

Got an Eco-Led at my local RV store.. 17 bucks but.. IMPRESSED

Got another at a different RV store yesterday.. Still Impressed. I may well keep getting more of these. That said I'll keep shopping for others as well.

Photos will be sent do dropbox later today and may be linked to in posts later.
Old 08-25-2013, 08:23 AM   #34

Nor'easters Club
I bought several 5m rolls of "waterproof" warm white 5050s on ebay. They advertised them running at 10v to 16v or so. I have NEVER had a problem with them overheating or putting off odd light and I do have a voltage variance that ranges from 12.4 to about 14.x periodically. They have been working for 2.5 years without a failure. of course, now that i said that something will fail! Heck, one of the fluorescent ballasts failed 2 months after the install!

Rich "The Wanderman"
Wanderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 09:32 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderman View Post
I bought several 5m rolls of "waterproof" warm white 5050s on ebay. They advertised them running at 10v to 16v or so. I have NEVER had a problem with them overheating or putting off odd light and I do have a voltage variance that ranges from 12.4 to about 14.x periodically. They have been working for 2.5 years without a failure. of course, now that i said that something will fail! Heck, one of the fluorescent ballasts failed 2 months after the install!

Rich "The Wanderman"
I concur with you there Rich. I too have bought rolls on eBay and have never had issues either. I also got all of my 3528s 48 led panels for my pancake conversions there with good results too.

Rick
Razzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 07:34 PM   #36

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddypaws View Post
A LED rated at 12v is meant to run at 12v, not 13.4 and up typically found in RV's.
This is true as far as it goes but it overlooks a few things... First.. NO LED is designed to run on 12 volts. They run on about 2 volts.

Second, it is CURRENT that needs regulation.

Modern LED assemblies designed for RV/AUTO use will draw about the same current no matter if they are eating 9 10 11 12 or even as much as 14-16 volt Some even higher. This is because they are CURRENT regulated

You did a very good job of explaining why this has to be by the way.

There is, however, a downside.. For some reason the current regulators tend to generate more radio frequency noise than the voltage limiters do.

However voltage regulation is.. Very easy, as well if that's the way you want to go. Takes one part plus a few items to limit Radio Frequency Interference.
Old 08-25-2013, 07:39 PM   #37

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I promised a couple of photos of the LEDS that impressed me

The first is of a 2 lamp ceiling fixture, LED on left 1141 on right

The Second is of the downlights on the wardrobe, 10watt Incandescent on left, LED on right

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...47/LED%202.jpg

And here is the display card so you know what I bought.

These links are to Dropbox (My account/public folder)

Now these are about 17 - 20 bucks a pop.. but dang they are good.
Old 08-26-2013, 09:20 PM   #38

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Yeah, right.

I made all this stuff up.... Hey wait a minute! No I didn't.

Google 'LED thermal runaway' and see for yourself.

LEDs require both current and voltage limiting. The roll LEDS I used (SM5050) have integrated current limiting resistors. (And the string of 96 LEDs still got hot.)

My choice was to add the part of the regulation/limiting requirement that was not already handled, I.e. voltage.

Wouldn't a resistor big enough to drop the voltage by 2 volts at 1A need to dissipate a pretty good heat load itself? The voltage regulator barely even gets warm. About 10F over ambient. I'm happy with my solution.