Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-09-2008, 11:27 AM   #29

Alpine Owners Club
To ATV; All sound advice. I know, some is welcome and other is aggravating. I had a friend who really had problems with his living room slide. It leaked so bad, for so long that the floor rusted out. After he was turned down so many times, he took the "lemons" route: either plastic or vinyl work great. He put them on the sides of his coach, and then went to an FMCA National rally. The manufacturer looked him up to get "things" straight with the coach. They replaced the entire slide within 3 weeks of the rally.
Now, everything is fine.

Keep the faith. Don't down all makes, stick to the one that is aggravating to you.

Jim, 38', 2003 Alpine, FDTS
'00 Saturn S/W

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-09-2008, 01:43 PM   #30

This will be a bit lengthy. First to kylamart I hope you are making out o.k. with your problem, we spoke about it before. ATV you should not have to endure 260 days of non use of your mhwhile you pay insurance and other fees. If you are at the dead end you say you are then go the public route but keep all your paper work for proof. Show it to all you can. Let me give you an example. This is a true story. My good friend and car hobby collector took his three year old Bronco for tires at a tire company owned dealership. While waiting in the waiting room he heard a loud crash. Thinking nothing of it an hour later he asked what was up with his truck, why is it taking so long. It was his truck that fell off the lift and onto its roof, TOTALED. The dealer said I hope you have insurance!!!. Well to make this story short he was an over the road trucker, was smart enough to call his wife with a camera, took lots of photos and plastered them all over truck stops accross the country. This after being told too bad from the real owners of the dealership. Four weeks later a rep from the tire manufacturer fly in and took him to the dealer of his choice and cut a check for a new Bronco. I am not saying this will happen to you but you get the message. Oh! I was considering a Gulfstream super nova but thanks to you not any more. See it already worked.

Old 10-12-2008, 10:20 AM   #31

Winnebago Owners Club
370 xl,
I would not write of the SuperNova so fast. I and many others have bought these units and are extremely happy with them. I have had mine for almost 18 months, 21,000 miles and I really love it. As for problems, there have been a few but I found my dealer and Gulf Stream more than willing and able to take care of everything. I never had to even think of legal or lemon law action because they were so competent and professional about all warranty repairs. I really hate it when others have problems with getting their coaches repaired. For me, that has not been the case. All of my experiences have been very pleasant.
Old 10-12-2008, 12:25 PM   #32

In all fairness - people DO take into account manufacturer and dealer reputation when considering a purchase. Sure, there are problems with all manufacturers, and some buyers who can NOT be made happy. I understand that.

When, however, the negative information - and quite believeable "we're not interested in fixing your problem" scenarios reach an alarm level, it WILL affect sales. If the manufactures and dealers aren't willing to accept the power of the internet - maybe they NEED to go away. It just tells me it's business as usual, with no adaptation to the business plan.

That said - we were strongly considering ordering a GS Endura diesel when we bought the Vectra. Reviews of the line, dealers, and factory attitudes killed the deal.

FMCA; WIT; FCOA; Good Sam; Passport
porscheracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 05:29 PM   #33

Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Reviews of the line, dealers, and factory attitudes killed the deal. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
EXACTLY why we bought a Winnebago in 2003 rather than the other brand the DW first fell in love with... We dropped that mfg, then looked at several others, and our final decision as to mfg was based on owner feedback, complaints, etc and info on factory response to complaints that we were able to find online.
Old 10-13-2008, 08:24 AM   #34

To all the replies, positive and the others, thanks! When I originally started this post, I wasn't sure of the direction I should take. After my first efforts provided little response, I decided to take the professional route.
I might not have done all this if the manufacturer had taken me more seriously. Their attitude was more of a matter of fact than a caring/helping one.
It seems that manufacturers are more than content to send equipment out that is way less than perfect and spend thousands later fixing things in the warranty period. I tell people I don't understand this reasoning/philosophy. It should be a lot cheaper to quality check/fix something before it leaves the factory.
I'm not sure about Gulfstream anymore. With several manufactures closing and the FEMA problems(Gulfstream was the largest supplier of trailers), maybe they are stalling to see what the future holds. Ed
Old 10-13-2008, 11:43 AM   #35

That's the way it's done now.
It all started with Microsoft. They always send out their software as soon as possible and let the users sort out the problems. Look at Vista for a good example!
Jerry
Old 10-16-2008, 08:52 PM   #36

BUMMER
BUMMER
BUMMER
I feel for you. It is my opinion that we all owe each other something as consumers. That is to fight matters like this. Sure it is easier to just take you're loss and move on, but that is the morrly corrupt thing to do. I salute you in you're efforts, if all did as you are these problems would be a rare thing. Good luck!!
Old 10-16-2008, 09:18 PM   #37

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ATVhaulin:
I decided to take the professional route. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Good move. I support your decision. In the long run, it will prove to be the wiser (although, sometimes less satisfying choice.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ATVhaulin:
It seems that manufacturers are more than content to send equipment out that is way less than perfect and spend thousands later fixing things in the warranty period. I tell people I don't understand this reasoning/philosophy. It should be a lot cheaper to quality check/fix something before it leaves the factory. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I spent 30+ years in the customer service end of an industry. My policy of making sure it was right at all costs helped make 3 companies very rich. Did we eat a few worms?? You bet. But word of mouth advertising from happy customers beats the stuffing out of the yellow pages for geting business!!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ATVhaulin: I'm not sure about Gulfstream anymore. With several manufactures closing and the FEMA problems(Gulfstream was the largest supplier of trailers), maybe they are stalling to see what the future holds. Ed </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I thought Forest River was the big "winner" in that debacle, but whatever . . .. There are still several million $$ worth of uninhabitable FEMA trailers parked about 100 miles from me (at the airport in Hope, AR). Sadly, FEMA's standards were so lax that they have no recourse - and I'm sure the manufacturers laughed all the way to the bank. Hopefully the karma is catching up.

Hmmm . . . maybe I can score a good RV manufacturing facility on eBay. I think I could make a go of it - bu my DW would have a cat!! I have some design concepts that are unique enough to either fly big or fail big. And I've never failed . . . yet.

FMCA; WIT; FCOA; Good Sam; Passport
porscheracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 10:31 AM   #38

Workhorse Chassis Owner

I think that FEMA is waiting until the trailers degrade down to the same level as the homes the displaced people had before the floods to release them for habitation.

2002 Itasca Suncruiser - WH Chassis - 35U - 2006 Jeep Liberty
hamguy is offline   Reply With Quote