Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-03-2008, 01:02 PM   #1

I am not here to bash any brand name or model. What I am seeking is guidance.
My new motorhome has had way too many problems. It has just passed its 1 year warranty and already some of them are recurring. I have been to the top of the manufacturers food chain, with no help. My dealership is willing to help, but they can only do so much.
Other than an attorney(last resort), anybody have any ideas?
Thanks in advance.
ATVhaulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-03-2008, 01:02 PM   #2

I am not here to bash any brand name or model. What I am seeking is guidance.
My new motorhome has had way too many problems. It has just passed its 1 year warranty and already some of them are recurring. I have been to the top of the manufacturers food chain, with no help. My dealership is willing to help, but they can only do so much.
Other than an attorney(last resort), anybody have any ideas?
Thanks in advance.
Old 04-03-2008, 01:11 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
IF, as you say you have been to the "top" of the manuf. food chain, Then the next step is "lemon" law IF it applies to Motorhomes in your State. Otherwise, get that lawyer.
wilpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 05:20 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Camarillo, CA ---Back in the house after 7 yrs fulltiming
Have you considered a trip to the factory?

My sister just spent $274,000 on their Beaver and didn't get any satisfaction until they planned a vacation around a visit to the factory.

For serious problems only the factory can get things fixed "like new". It's a lot less "out of pocket" cost for the factory to correct a problem at their place rather than paying a dealer to try to fix it and then still not have it right and pay again.

Having read this forum for 4 years, it seems like a lot of folks get more results and "customer goodwill" by working straight with the factory.

One other alternative.... write to Motorhome Magazine and document your case with them. They may be able to intercede on your behalf.

Good luck,
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic23522_1.gif]
Duner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 07:06 AM   #5

Don't know where you reside but, I am told that the "Lemon Law" does not apply to Motor Homes in Colorado and not in very many other states. In fact the "Lemon Law" is not what many think it is. i.e. It does not apply to just a random number of things that make you unhappy with a product. Usually it states that you have to have had a specific number of times, within a specific time that you have taken the product back for service on a default that was not resolved.
The manufacturers have had those provisions written into the law so that people that are just unhappy with the purchase they made (Buyers Remorse) cannot make the manufacturers take the product back without their having been given a chance to repair the defect.
JMHO!
Jerry
JerryForwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 12:36 PM   #6

I have been working with the Manufacturer from the get go. They are the ones who told me where to take it to get repaired.
I live in Ohio and purchased it in Indiana. No, lemon laws will not apply here unfortunately.
I would like to go straight to a lawyer, but that will be my last option. Ed
Old 04-04-2008, 12:40 PM   #7

Several of my repairs have been repeats, but none more than 3 times. My biggest problem is the total number of problems(over 50) and total time in the repairshop(260 days). Ed
Old 04-05-2008, 12:25 PM   #8

ATV

First off, Lemon laws do not cover anything but the chassie and drive train and related items. A/Cs, Refs, steps, and etc would not even be consider even if a lemon law existed.

Good luck on getting an Attorney to help you. You will more-than-likely have to give the atty money up front to get him to help you. Probably one in Ind. Further, attys fees are not allowed to be added to a judgement in these type of cases. Also, since you crossed state lines in your purchase, you will have to go the Federal route ( The mfg will ask for a change in venue because of this and as such you are looking at many years down the road for any type of settlement) . Very few attys handle these type of cases, especially across state lines. (call a few and ask them if they handle this type of case and see how many if any will help you)) Also, the court will consider you used the MH and deprecate the value towards any settlement, i.e., When settled say 4 years from now, you MH will only be worth 40 to 50% of what you paid for it. In the meantime, you will have to settle with driving it until resolved in the court. IMHO, work with the mfg and dealer to get everything fixed. Save you from getting gray hair and as well as save you some money. s/Toby
Old 04-05-2008, 01:21 PM   #9

I am ready to wait it out. I have tried to work with the manufacturer. The vice president of the company sent me a letter stating he would not work with me anymore. I talked to the dealerships general manager. He talked to the same person and was told the same thing. The dealership is willing to help, not the mfg.
I will not use it anymore. Too many problems, headaches, every time I get near it I find more. After a whole year I am fed up. I will fight this til the end, and if nothing happens, I will sell it for a loss. Ed
Old 04-05-2008, 04:53 PM   #10

I am getting curious, just what are some of these problems that can't seem to be fixed?
JerryForwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 07:02 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If relations have soured to the point a VP of the company writes that they refuse to work with you anymore, sounds as if there has been more than a little heated discussion between you and the manufacturer. Once you reach that point, some help may be obtained, as mentioned above from motor home magazine help line, etc. It would be helpful to those of us interested if we knew details including make, model, year, and a summary of problems encountered. Obviously 250+ days in the shop should not be tolerated. Best wishes.
j griff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 07:30 PM   #12

I have never taken a RV problem to an attorney. But I once had a lemon car and went to my attorney and he said "Forget it. Their contracts have everything so well covered that you won't win."

The attorney may be able to threaten to sue and get results because the man. doesn't want to go to court.

If you can afford it, I would say get on with life and trade the thing in on a better unit. That's what I did--I had a lemon 2007 trailer and decided not to keep fighting and go rving. But I sure took it in the shorts on the trade.

trailerfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 04:52 AM   #13

No, as a matter of fact, I think I was too nice to the manufacturer. I believe he thinks I am too soft to do anything about it. He also is putting the blame on me for not contacting them enough during my repairs(I called approx. 10 times and sent 2 certified letters). He also blames the dealership for taking too long with the repairs. I don't know all the details on that but I do know the dealership had trouble getting the parts, and the correct parts.
My repeat problems have been the leveling jacks (4 repairs) and my fiberglass cracking (3 repairs) and water leaking into my bedroom slide out several times. The last time the entire slide out had to be removed and the floor replaced.
My MH has been to 3 dealerships, so I can't blame just the one.
It is a Gulfstream Endura.
Old 04-06-2008, 08:03 AM   #14

Some particulars would help like which manufacturer you are talking about and what type of problems you are having. From the experience of others I have found that the lemon law is not that great even if you could apply it. I have some information about how to proceed and if you send me a private message I will be glad to help. A lawyer will be the only way to go at this point as bad as that route is.
Cummins 6.7 ISB, Allison 2100 6 Speed
J Walker is offline   Reply With Quote