Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-27-2014, 04:07 AM   #15

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
GPS work best when you know where you are going.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-27-2014, 08:04 AM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
Remember someone had to enter ALL data into that GPS maybe just maybe they had a bad day. Always look ahead of your GPS. READ the manual, oh I know it all before I do. If your going I10 I5 I84 from one town to another chances are the GPS should not take you on a back road, it just might be wrong. Before you start the motor one should have a minds eye MAP of where you are going. JMO

LEN
Old 05-27-2014, 08:16 AM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
How about downtown Manhattan in a 40 footer towing a car?Don G.
Grimesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 08:26 AM   #18

While there will always be a few cases of weird routing, most GPS destination errors are caused by using locations generated by other means than lat/lon coordinates.Street addresses and all other non lat/lon location identifiers must be converted to lat/lon coordinates by the GPS itself.For many reasons, it is often not successful in doing this and strange destinations as well as weird routes result.

One way to improve the situation is to use custom POIs from a POI file with lat/lon locations that have been verified by the file creator.

One excellent place for this info is POI Factory: POI Factory | new & interesting places for your GPS
The file maintainers are all volunteers and work very hard at verifying the locations.Most users report errors and I have helped in verifying many locations.

Using these files will make GPS use much easier and more correct.

Good Luck!
Wil
wil01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 09:57 AM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Please post the destination you had entered in your GPS.

Plus, brand, model and date of your GPS map database.

I would like to enter your destination in my GPS to see if I'm routed the same as you.

-Tom

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 12:04 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom N View Post
Please post the destination you had entered in your GPS.

Plus, brand, model and date of your GPS map database.

I would like to enter your destination in my GPS to see if I'm routed the same as you.

-Tom
I entered Basswood RV Resort. Using a Rand McNalley RVND 7720.
Software version is 3.56.2922.1315

Google Maps showed me the same incorrect location.
Richardk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 12:15 PM   #21

Gotta love those signs. If I cam across the last one i would just park, laugh and have a beer - priceless!!
Cobra1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 12:17 PM   #22

Thor Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
GPS's are like a cross examination, never ask a question you don't already know the answer to.
When DW and I are on the road I have the RVND on my side and DW uses MS S&T(W/ dongle) on a laptop. It doesn't happen often but there have been times when we get two different results to get to the same destination or different turn on/off information. Keeps you on your toes.
IMDSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 12:19 PM   #23

Was just playing with the GPS. If I enter Basswood Resort, it shows me the correct address, but the wrong map location. But, if I enter just the address, it shows the correct map location, but no RV park. Strange.
Richardk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 12:50 PM   #24

Read an online news story this morning of a guy following his GPS down a single-lane woods road to a lake - GPS says the road crosses the lake. It's dark. He's driving fast. Doesn't see the little 'end of road' sign. You know where this is going......

He swam to the other side and was picked up eight hours later. The SUV is still in the lake.
LeeRevell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 12:52 PM   #25

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Point well taken. Was led astray once before. Not fun having to trun around and unhook everything.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 03:41 PM   #26

iRV2 No Limits Club
We always call the park that is our destination and tell them we are using a GPS.

They usually know if the GPS will mislead us.

One park warned us it would put us on a narrow dirt road, and gave us directions around it.

While there we looked at the road the GPS would have guided us to. I not sure I would even walk on it, never mind tow my trailer over it!!!
Dog Folks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 05:45 PM   #27

National RV Owners Club
I have two GPS units on the dash and they sometimes give different directions to the same location but one has been in error more than once. If there is a question my wife breaks out the Trailer Life Directory for the directions if it is to a campground. If not a campground then those old paper maps are used.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 06:09 PM   #28

I own a small rural campground located on a nice road with easy access to the campground. Mapquest routes campers up a narrow, windy, dirt road where turning around is difficult. I always warn campers not to use Mapquest. I have contacted Mapquest numerous times but they never fixed it. After reading this thread, I checked to see if it had been fixed and realized that they had removed me completely. It's probably not a good thing but at least they won't route campers into bad situations. When campers would arrive after being stuck on the back road, they were never in a good mood but, being campers, as soon as they settled in they put it behind them and enjoyed their stay. That's one thing I enjoy about campers.
mrebele is offline   Reply With Quote