Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 04-28-2016, 04:30 PM   #43
Entegra Owners Club
Like many others, I use nothing, nada, zilch. If you have odors you have a system problem that chemicals probably won't fix. No sense pouring money down the drain. I got this and it took all odors away. It is so effective that Entegra is now putting them on all new motorhomes as standard equipment.

Marc and Jill, Wellington FL
2013 Entegra Anthem 44SL
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-28-2016, 04:54 PM   #44
Tiffin Owners Club
Originally Posted by B Dubya View Post
That's really interesting. I'll have to check my vents. I have so many mud daubers around here it ridiculous. Just knocked one off the MH when I was doing the sway bushings. I wont be surprised if there are nests in there. Thanx.

As others have mentioned... if you ave an odor, you have a problem and you really need to find out where the odor is coming from and repair the problem. Pouring chemicals (whatever the brand) down the toilet is not fixing the problem...you're just masking it and wasting a lot of $$.

These systems are designed to NOT have odors and will provide many years of use without the need for chemicals. Do yourself a favor and make an effort to determine where the odor is coming from and then repair it. I think you'll find that using chemicals is really not necessary.

Good luck..

Ron, Sandie, and Maggie May
2013 Tiffin Phaeton 42LH
2011 GMC Terrain SLT-2
lanerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 11:36 PM   #45
Winnebago Owners Club
Use nothing only time we have odor is if one of the roof vents are not closed.
hillman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 09:12 PM   #46
Monaco Owners Club
My DW likes to toss in one of those Walex "packets" after we dump ... but isn't religious about it. My guess is we remember to toss one in every 3rd dump or so. Truth is, we haven't noticed any distinct odor one way or the other.
2012 HR Endeavor 43' DFT, 2012 Jeep Liberty
SpaceNorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 09:19 PM   #47
Well, we got a big ole tub of Happy Camper and will pick up some Calgon tomorra, so we'll just see where this takes us!
Lovey & Thurston - Cali Foothills
2001 HR Vacationer (SS Minnow) - Gasser!
Obviously A Lowly and Inferior MH
B Dubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 10:01 PM   #48
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
Like Cliff stated, we used chemicals for a short while.......and after studying and using the RV holding tank system, we quit spending our money on chemicals. We just use a lot of water, after dumping, I use the tank flush in the black tank till it runs clear........then I would guess, I put 5-10 gallons of clean water in the tank. Every now and then, I will put some dawn/Joy dish soap in the tanks before travel...........
Lots of fresh water is the key......
Keeping enough water in the tank to completely cover all solids-at all times-is the key to eliminating odor.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert theConstitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 09:00 AM   #49
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Originally Posted by B Dubya View Post
Well, we got a big ole tub of Happy Camper and will pick up some Calgon tomorra, so we'll just see where this takes us!

You're gonna be happy campers too!

I don't think I would use the calgon with the Happy Camper treatment though. Not sure if that would affect the results or not, but it's definitely not needed!
Joe & Annette

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 04:54 AM   #50
Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
we fulltime.
we use ''piranha'' all the time and add calgon while we are underway.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 06:15 AM   #51
Alpine Owners Club
Here are a couple of key points here.

1) Most people do not use enough water when they flush. Add water via the flusher after you dump, I normally add about 20%, although this will reduce your total capacity so if you are boondocking so this might not be a good idea, and certainly add more water when you flush.

2) The black tank is not the only source of odor. Many odors are caused by the grey tank, they can be as bad or worse than the black tank, think about all the food scraps that go down the drain being mixed with the shower and bathroom sink water, the grey tank is a prime candidate for bacteria. As we drive down the road water sloshes around and can leave a pee trap dry allowing odors into the coach. If you smell an odor while driving put some water into all the drains and see if that helps. I have heard of people placing those rubber stoppers over their drains, I am not sure that would help, they are designed to keep water in the sink, not stop the water from sloshing out of the pee trap and then the odor, sewer gas, can creep out into the coach. If you use chemicals try adding some to your grey tank once in a while, you can use the same ones you use in the black tank. There is also a newer product, it is a one way valve that lets water out but no sewer gas in, it also saves space under the sink, old timers has gotten to me so I don't remember the name of them, maybe some of you youngsters can help.

3) Also don't forget, many of you have washer connections even if you do not have a machine. They can dry up or slosh out so check them. If you do not have a washing machine see if the line is capped, if not go to Lowes, any hardware or plumbing supply house and get a cap, they are an inexpensive way to eliminate one source of problems. There are temporary rubber caps that are secure and easily removable if you decide to add a machine later.
Dave, Bobbi and Fenway
2005 38' FDTS Alpine Limited, 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
Cape Cod, MA
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 02:24 PM   #52
Fleetwood Owners Club
So, here is what we do. Advice from a full timer 7 years ago. Prior to emptying the black tank I fill the toilet bowl to the rim with fresh water. I go outside and dump the black tank. After it is empty I tap on the side of the coach and my wife flushes the toilet. That rinses the black tank. Follow that with grey water dump. After all is done and the valves are closed we add 1/2 cup fabric softener and 1/2 cup dish washing soap to both the black and grey tanks. (both sourced from the dollar store). We have never had an issue with odors or tank sensors. Give it a try. VERY economical and easy.
Dukeinhaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 01:07 PM   #53
Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Originally Posted by MRUSA14 View Post
Like many others, I use nothing, nada, zilch. If you have odors you have a system problem that chemicals probably won't fix. No sense pouring money down the drain. I got this and it took all odors away. It is so effective that Entegra is now putting them on all new motorhomes as standard equipment.
Glad to see this post. We have no problems with our tanks whatsoever but I want to do everything I can to prevent them. I have been wanting to get one of these for a while but have waited for a review first. I understand its easy to install too. Thanks for the info.
Bob and Saing USAF Retired
Porky the bird & Pudder the dog
2008 Holiday Rambler Ambassador
bobf46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 07:11 AM   #54
I used water softener for the first time and was amazed how much more came out.
FaithBowls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 08:33 AM   #55
A dirty tank is a smelly tank. I don't care what you use to mask the odor.
Getting the tank CLEAN and keeping it CLEAN is your best defense to a smelly tank.
Rule # 1 is never leave the black tank or the gray tank valves open when hooked up to a campground system.
# 2 Drain and flush the tanks often. Even if they are only partially full. Never drain them unless they are full. Add water until the tanks are full, dump the black tank first, close the valve, then dump the gray water tank. This goes a long way in cleaning the drain hose and will aid in finishing the job before you roll it up for storage.
I drain my tanks once a day when parked with no hook up when camping using my portable tank on wheels. I take the tank to the camping area dumping station and dump it there. If I have a full hook up I still dump once a day after filling the tank.
Before I pull out of a campground I add about five gallons of water to the black tank, buy a bag of ice cubes and dump the ice into the tank just before pulling out of the campground driveway. The ice cubes sliding around on the tank bottom will loosen any stuck debris and the water in the tank will keep it loose until you dump again. I never travel with a totally empty tank.
I don't use chemicals, especially those designed to dissolve solids. I don't leave solids in the tank long enough for the chemicals to be effective anyway. On occasion I do add a little dish soap to the tank water to help clean those troublesome sensors.
I have a wand which has a spinning device on the end of it and attaches to a garden hose. I use this once in a while just as insurance against mounding and sensor contamination. I cut a 1"x1" piece of wood trim and ground a notch in one end to fit against the toilet handle, left the other end square and put a piece of Gorilla (duct) tape over the square end so I don't scratch the wall. I can wedge this wood piece between the toilet and the wall and it will hold the toilet valve fully open which greatly aids in cleaning the tank. I can see straight into my tank which makes it much easier to clean unlike some other layouts.
My best defense to tank mounding is my own chemistry. I drink large amounts of PBR beer. I seldom have an issue of solids. Works for me!
2002 Fleetwood Storm 30H on Workhorse P32 chassis 8.1 gas.
LETMGROW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 09:04 PM   #56

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
When I put my rig in storage I dump 1/2 pound of baking soda in each tank with about 5 gals of water. It cleans and deodorize the tanks. I buy the 1 lb bag at Costco.

Craig & Carolyn Roberts Apple Valley, CA
2006 Newmar 3910 KSDP 400 ISL Cummins Spartan Mountian Master Chassis
Toad: 2010 Chevy Colorado 4X4
DD788Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote