Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 05-15-2016, 10:16 PM   #57
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 492
Hey all. I've bought everything I need. First it'll be the Calgon/washing detergent, then on our trip in a few weeks it will be Happy Camper. If we keep the MH after this summer I'll probably do the vent caps. We shall see.
__________________

__________________
Lovey & Thurston - Cali Foothills
2001 HR Vacationer (SS Minnow) - Gasser!
Obviously A Lowly and Inferior MH
B Dubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-16-2016, 06:32 AM   #58
Senior Member
 
FaithBowls's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 421
It's not calgon detergent. It's calgon water softener. The only place I've found it is walmart in smallish bottles.
__________________

__________________
FaithBowls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 08:25 AM   #59
Senior Member
 
trimacon's Avatar
 
Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Macon, Georgia USA
Posts: 301
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifftall View Post
After a lot of convincing , we ditched the chemicals and used nothing for many years without issue or odors
Ditto on the lack of chemical usage and no odor problems other than a dry trap once.
__________________
trimacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 09:05 AM   #60
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 492
Uh-Huh. That's why there's a slash between the two words.
__________________
Lovey & Thurston - Cali Foothills
2001 HR Vacationer (SS Minnow) - Gasser!
Obviously A Lowly and Inferior MH
B Dubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 09:14 AM   #61
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by FaithBowls View Post
It's not calgon detergent. It's calgon water softener. The only place I've found it is walmart in smallish bottles.

We found some at Home Hardware.


2010 Winnebago Aspect 28B
__________________
RogerRoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 10:45 PM   #62
Senior Member
 
ecurb74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillman View Post
Use nothing only time we have odor is if one of the roof vents are not closed.

Ditto on that!

I've had numerous conversations with other half that you cannot keep all windows and doors closed and have an exhaust fan running when you flush the toilet. The exhaust fan is sucking in any air it can and when the toilet is flushed the least path of resistance is from the tank.....then it gets ripe real quick. It will also pull air thru the other vents and drains. If I turn off the fans no problems. Can't tell much difference between using nothing and adding chemicals. The fan is the biggie for us. Keep another source of fresh air open such as window, if you use the exhaust fan. Better yet just turn it off, flush then turn it back on.


Bruce & Teresa
2000 Foretravel U320 4010
Cummins ISM 450hp
Allison HD4060R 6 Spd W/Retarder
__________________
Bruce & Teresa
2000 Foretravel
U320 4010
ecurb74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 04:08 PM   #63
Senior Member
 
tankcj's Avatar


 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Lake Havasu City, AZ
Posts: 932
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecurb74 View Post
Ditto on that!

I've had numerous conversations with other half that you cannot keep all windows and doors closed and have an exhaust fan running when you flush the toilet. The exhaust fan is sucking in any air it can and when the toilet is flushed the least path of resistance is from the tank.....then it gets ripe real quick. It will also pull air thru the other vents and drains. If I turn off the fans no problems. Can't tell much difference between using nothing and adding chemicals. The fan is the biggie for us. Keep another source of fresh air open such as window, if you use the exhaust fan. Better yet just turn it off, flush then turn it back on.


Bruce & Teresa
2000 Foretravel U320 4010
Cummins ISM 450hp
Allison HD4060R 6 Spd W/Retarder
Yep, this is exactly the steps I follow!

Once you learn that the tanks must ventilate, there is no need for chemicals.

BTW - I also found that if my P trap for the washer was dry and I left the gray water tank valve open and the fans on it would get pretty ripe in the coach...the fan was sucking odors from the sewer up into the gray holding tank and in through the washer drain.
__________________
2008 Beaver Contessa 40' Pacifica 425 Cat
2011 Jeep Rubicon
2012 Ram 2500 CTD CC 4WD
tankcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 12:19 AM   #64
Junior Member
 
dogmum53's Avatar
 
Freightliner Owners Club
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
Like Cliff stated, we used chemicals for a short while.......and after studying and using the RV holding tank system, we quit spending our money on chemicals. We just use a lot of water, after dumping, I use the tank flush in the black tank till it runs clear........then I would guess, I put 5-10 gallons of clean water in the tank. Every now and then, I will put some dawn/Joy dish soap in the tanks before travel...........
Lots of fresh water is the key......
I have seen several posts where people suggest using dish soap or Calgon to clean the tanks. Our dealer told us to never do this because the soap bubbles will foam up and be hard to rinse. Now we are having issues with our tank sensors so I need to really clean the tanks. Has the soap method never caused you issues?
__________________
Tom and Serena
2013 Thor Palazzo 33.1
2012 Jeep JK Rubicon
dogmum53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 12:23 AM   #65
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 492
I just got back from a 9 day trip. Used the Calgon/laundry detergent method. Finally,,,finally the sensors are clean. Tank still stinks after a few days. I have a problem, but the foam didn't help. I'll get it figured out. Still pro chemicals...just not sure which ones!!
__________________
Lovey & Thurston - Cali Foothills
2001 HR Vacationer (SS Minnow) - Gasser!
Obviously A Lowly and Inferior MH
B Dubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 10:05 AM   #66
Senior Member/RVM #90
 
MSHappyCampers's Avatar


 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Columbus, MS
Posts: 26,295
Quote:
Originally Posted by B Dubya View Post
I just got back from a 9 day trip. Used the Calgon/laundry detergent method. Finally,,,finally the sensors are clean. Tank still stinks after a few days. I have a problem, but the foam didn't help. I'll get it figured out. Still pro chemicals...just not sure which ones!!

Happy Camper! That's spelled "H..A..P..P..Y. C..A..M..P..E..R" See, it's really simple!
__________________
Joe & Annette

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 10:09 AM   #67
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 492
^^^ We used it after the Calgon bath. Sat in there for about 6 days while in camp. Maybe I pushed my luck, but we were trying to fill the tank as an experiment. Science was never my strong suit.
__________________
Lovey & Thurston - Cali Foothills
2001 HR Vacationer (SS Minnow) - Gasser!
Obviously A Lowly and Inferior MH
B Dubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 11:10 AM   #68
Senior Member
 
DrDaveMA's Avatar


 
Alpine Owners Club
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Cotuit, MA
Posts: 2,251
Quote:
Originally Posted by tankcj View Post
Yep, this is exactly the steps I follow!



Once you learn that the tanks must ventilate, there is no need for chemicals.



BTW - I also found that if my P trap for the washer was dry and I left the gray water tank valve open and the fans on it would get pretty ripe in the coach...the fan was sucking odors from the sewer up into the gray holding tank and in through the washer drain.

You have to be sure all the p traps have water in them. You will have the following as a minimum:

Kitchen sink
Bathroom sink
Shower

Many manufacturers install water connections and a drain for a clothes washer so you may also have that trap. In addition many RV's have a second bath, so you could have that trap. Bottom line there could easily be 5 or more traps. Anything not used, for example a clothes washer drain should be closed off with a cap to really keep the smell contained, available at Lowes, HD or many hardware stores.
__________________
Dave, Bobbi and Fenway
2005 38' FDTS Alpine Limited, 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
Cape Cod, MA
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 11:39 AM   #69
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 5,954
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogmum53 View Post
I have seen several posts where people suggest using dish soap or Calgon to clean the tanks. Our dealer told us to never do this because the soap bubbles will foam up and be hard to rinse. Now we are having issues with our tank sensors so I need to really clean the tanks. Has the soap method never caused you issues?
No known issues with soap. Known issue with Salesmen who sell something other than what you want to use. Theirs is always better. A good salesman will even be able to tell you why.

The problem with what's in the tank is primarily grease. It is the binder that holds the rest of the stuff together and to sensors. The answer to grease is either a chemical or microbes to break it down to something soluble. Some chemicals attack more than grease. Microbes can take a long time. Detergents used in dish and clothes washing are designed to attack grease but not most plastics or skin. They are also designed to stop foaming after a reasonable time. ( I have forgotten the spec.) They had to be back in the 1950's or 60's as they replaced soap and started causing problems in municipal sewer systems. Calgon water conditioner is a chemical that binds with the calcium in hard water so the soap can work better. That is part of why it can be hard to find in areas with soft water.
__________________
nothermark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 05:18 PM   #70
Senior Member
 
Cat320's Avatar
 
Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 4,749
I am continually amazed at the good folks that continue to use stuff like HC and think it really works. You don't use it at home, 'cause the toilet is vented...just like your RV! Re read #34.
__________________

__________________
2014 American Eagle 45T
DD 500
Pulling a Honda CRV
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
tank



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Money down the drain?? Holding tank chemicals Larry Geese Monaco Owner's Forum 30 08-30-2010 01:19 PM
California proposes ban on holding tank chemicals Route 66 iRV2.com General Discussion 33 08-24-2010 01:28 PM
Holding Tank Chemicals tedward1555 iRV2.com General Discussion 65 07-22-2010 09:10 PM
Toilet Holding Tank chemicals?? GSP RV Systems & Appliances 10 10-26-2005 06:47 PM

» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:09 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.