Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-18-2014, 08:46 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Leveler alarm won't go off

OK, here's a poser for you.

I had the MH (1998 Pace Arrow) up on the levelers for an extended period of time (several weeks). When I went to move it, I retracted the jacks but the alarm won't quit. I can't start the engine normally (no response of any kind), but the auxilliary start system works without any problems. The alarm is on whenever the ignition is in run position.

I have extended and retracted the jacks a couple of times and visually confirmed they are all up. The 'jacks down' light does go off when I retract them but the alarm still sounds continuously.

The ABS and check engine soon lights also come on when I start the engine (they did that when I started it for the first time in Spring but we haven't been able to go anywhere this year so I haven't had that looked at yet), but I wouldn't think these would have any connection to the jack alarm.

Any suggestions? Any idea where to start to troubleshoot?

Dave
Dave RVM#66 and Carol
1998 Pace Arrow Vision
Seeing the USA - 200 miles at a time
daveandcarol is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-18-2014, 08:58 PM   #2
NRF

Monaco Owners Club
Dave, You didn't say what system / chassis you have but a 98 Pace Arrow could have been using the same system that my 96 Southwind used with the visual round red light and the annoying beeping. Sounds like a low fluid condition (system uses auto transmission fluid for the hydraulics). Usually when it is colder out the system may take longer for the beeping to go away even when the jacks appear to be fully retracted. I drove many times with the annoying beeping..
NRF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 09:01 PM   #3

What jack system? Each system has it's own alarms HWH for example would have a sensor on each jack leg and you would depending on jack panel see a red light for each jack down. Most older Power Gear systems used a float sw in the tank to tell when the jacks were up so low on fluid could be a issue with them or a bad switch. Big Foot uses a sw on each jack so when the jack comes up it hits the switch. LCI uses a pressure switch so the system must have pressure on the retract side to shut off the alarm.

More info would help.
1mainiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 07:07 AM   #4

Our Pace Arrow had the Power Gear system, and most likely you need to add a bit of ATF to get the level up to turn off the beeper.
PanJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 07:18 AM   #5

Happened to me with HWH jacks.....beeper came on while driving. All jacks looked like they were up so I found a 2x4 and pushed each one up manually. The culprit was only down a tiny bit but it did the trick.
Old 09-19-2014, 07:30 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Thanks for the suggestions so far...

It's a Power Gear 4 jack system. Sorry, I should have mentioned that up front.

The consensus seems to be leaning toward a fluid level problem. The fluid level was full earlier this year. I haven't noticed any puddles anywhere. I am gong to lower the jacks partially and look at the pads for fluid accumulation or any piece of debris that could be causing a jack to not retract fully. After that I will check the fluid level (have to pull the chassis battery to get access to the reservoir).

Following that, I will get my long pry bar and a block for a fulcrum so I can carefully push all the jacks up to be sure thy are all fully retracted.

The part I can't figure is why the MH won't start off the chassis battery while the alarm is sounding (no solenoid clicks, nothing...), but will start just fine off the coach batteries (aux. start).

I finally have a set of shop manuals and am trying to find F53 wiring diagrams. Any suggestions where I could download some?
Dave RVM#66 and Carol
1998 Pace Arrow Vision
Old 09-20-2014, 01:21 PM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Power gear jacks (If it is a power gear) use a float valve in the fluid tank to find out if the jacks are up or not (Tank full, jacks up) due to changes in weather you need to add fluid every year even if the system does not leak. USUALLY Dextron III but read the label.
Old 09-20-2014, 02:23 PM   #8

Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Be certain the level switch is positioned properly and enough fluid, corrected mine. (level switch on reservoir tank)
Subaru Outback, Cricket SW3
seasonedsole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 07:35 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Fluid is definitely full, I checked it. Have to look for the level sensor and check it next. Ran the jacks down & checked the pads for anything that would prevent full retraction but didn't find anything. System appears to be working normally except for that !@#@$ alarm beeping continuously...

One good thing - MH will now start normally when I turn the key (it wouldn't before).

Home sweet (portable) home...
Dave RVM#66 and Carol
1998 Pace Arrow Vision
Old 09-21-2014, 01:36 PM   #10

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ok on the top of the fluid tank for the jacks is a fitting with a pair of wires coming out of it.. These wires go to a 2-pin connector, what I call a "Flat 2" (Like a flat 4 trailer light connector but only pins)

Unplug this connector and re-connct just ONE of the two pins (To keep it from getting lost)

Alarm should not be silent, if it is and the tank is full, you have a bad sensor.. If it is still alarming, a bad wire.
Old 09-23-2014, 07:30 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Thank you for the troubleshooting info

Oh, this ought to be fun. Access to the tank is either from below (assuming I can fit under there) or by removing the chassis battery and reaching down a tunnel (& I bet the chassis battery powers the alarm). Wish me luck this weekend as I dive (no pun intended) into it...
Dave RVM#66 and Carol
1998 Pace Arrow Vision
Old 09-23-2014, 07:34 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Hey wa8xym

I bet your message should have read, "if the alarm is noW silent", otherwise it sounds like the alarm would be going off in either case...
Dave RVM#66 and Carol
1998 Pace Arrow Vision
Old 10-10-2014, 01:39 PM   #13

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveandcarol View Post
Oh, this ought to be fun. Access to the tank is either from below (assuming I can fit under there) or by removing the chassis battery and reaching down a tunnel (& I bet the chassis battery powers the alarm). Wish me luck this weekend as I dive (no pun intended) into it...
It is a lot easier if you have at least 25' arms or someone to help you. I always need to be inside when I am outside under the MH. Really aggravates me, I am always like the show "Home Alone"!
flangley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 01:49 PM   #14

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveandcarol View Post
Fluid is definitely full, I checked it. Have to look for the level sensor and check it next. Ran the jacks down & checked the pads for anything that would prevent full retraction but didn't find anything. System appears to be working normally except for that !@#@$ alarm beeping continuously...

One good thing - MH will now start normally when I turn the key (it wouldn't before).

Home sweet (portable) home...
Even though the reservoir APPEARS to be completely full, please add more fluid until it practically runs out. I just left another thread where this fixed the problem, and it worked for me several years ago. Sometimes it can be that simple. You have nothing to lose, and if it does not fix the problem, you already have another plan. Good luck!

Bruce
Firebug5 is offline   Reply With Quote