Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-08-2010, 06:07 PM   #1

Send a message via Yahoo to MRHicks
Leveling jack lowers on its own

Our Damon Daybreak 35BD (2011) has been in storage the last couple weeks since our last outing. When we went to pick it up, I noticed that the right front jack was down about four inches. I know it was retracted all the way the day we put it into storage, because I do a walk-around every time before we leave it and always check the jacks, among other things.

I was able to raise the jack with no problem (the leveling system seems to work fine), but after bringing it home and letting it sit overnight, it came down maybe an inch. The other jacks seem fine, and there appeared to be plenty of fluid in the reservoir (above the black line). It's a hydraulic system, but I don't know the exact make/model.

Any ideas on things I can check before I haul it off to the dealer? We're planning to head down to Williamsburg VA on Wednesday for the weekend, and I want to make sure the crazy thing isn't going to decide to lower on us while we're on our way there! D'oh!
MRHicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-08-2010, 08:05 PM   #2

Triple E Owners Club
I believe on my jacks they lower with hyd and raise with a spring when there is no hyd pressure being applied against the spring. Between the spring and the oil is a diaphram that keeps the oil and the spring separated. If that diaphram is tore or broken the spring will lose it tension. What happen when you try to lower the jacks? Will the jack hold the weight of the motor home.
OneRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 08:21 PM   #3

As far as I can tell the "problem" jack seems to be fine in the down position, at least it was a couple weekends ago when we were out camping. It also seems to extend fine under power and take up the load of the RV, although I haven't had a chance to see if it'll hold the load since I pulled it out of storage.
Old 11-08-2010, 09:03 PM   #4

Triple E Owners Club
I have been trying to find a break down of the internals of these jacks. Not having much luck. Have you noticed any oil leaks around the problem jack?

http://www.rvtechlibrary.com/chassis/leveling.htm

Hydraulic Jack Retraction Times

Might look here and see if this helps at all.
OneRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 09:06 AM   #5

Forest River Owners Club
My hydraulic jacks are HWH. The springs are on the outside of the cylinder. Mine are automatic. Part of the instructions for automatic hydraulic jacks are that when you hit the retract button, let the system go until it turns itself off. If you turn it off manually, it likely has not finished the cycle ...the most common result is a jack creeping down, likely the one that is the most distance from the pump/reservoir.
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 03:44 PM   #6

I'm pretty sure the jack was fully retracted - I'm pretty anal about checking them! LOL! The retraction system flashes a couple of lights when the jacks are all the way up, so I just hold the retract button until those start blinking at me. I checked the jack and didn't find any fluid on the pad, piston, or the lines going to the jack, although I need to check the pump/reservoir more closely - I looked at it before I started this thread, but the light wasn't good and I might've missed something.

I put the jacks down to level it up to get the refrigerator going, and it seems to be doing okay so far. I don't know, maybe it's just a jack gremlin!
Old 01-04-2011, 10:35 AM   #8
gg

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Can you post the manufacture on the jacks, Leveling system. Most new jacks don't have springs for return. Check for leaks near valves and motor asm. Check level in the tank.
Old 01-06-2011, 08:27 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Sounds to me like a simply leaky valve on that jack. It's not a complex mechanism - just an electrically operated valve to allow/shut off hydraulic pressure.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote