Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-19-2016, 03:38 PM   #1

Leveling jack not retracting

Just bought a used Class A and am having minor issues with the leveling jacks. Three of four seem to work just fine. The right rear jack goes down just fine, but when I hit the retract levers, this one doesn't come up all the way. It retracts partially due to the weight of the RV, but the dual springs that should be pulling the cylinder the rest of the way back in, and rotating it back up to horizontal, are not doing so. With a crowbar, I can nudge the jack rearward until it is freed from the pavement, at which point the jack swings up to horizontal - but still partially extended. I haven't been back to check after 24 hrs to see if it's slowly retracted or not.

Looking for additional troubleshooting suggestions and recommendations for repairs if any are needed. I've already seen advice to head to a hydraulic repair shop instead of an RV shop, for better service at a fraction of the cost. Not sure how to find one of those shops around me; Google's not turning up much near Memphis or Jackson, TN.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-19-2016, 03:48 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I was having a similar problem and I changed the springs on all of my jacks and made sure the reservoir was where it was supposed to be. Mine was low. then I lubed with silicone spray and I have to keep them lubed well and the work good now.

inlineskater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 07:26 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
This happened to me. I took a can of WD40 and sprayed up in the seal of the jack, then wiped well with a rag. The jack has retracted fine ever since.
montyhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 07:17 PM   #4

Jimmy, you don't say what your system is or RV , but we have a 2005 Winnebago Adventurer. The pump/manifold are near the driver's seat. Longest run of hose is to the right rear, most friction in the longest hose, a and sometimes the slowest retract. Had this problem several times, changed out the old HWH springs for the new model and haven't head a problem since. Clean the piston rods with WD40 and the seals, three/four times a year. No problems for two years.
Old 07-25-2016, 08:48 PM   #5

Finally got under there to take a good look. I have the old springs. So hopefully this is a quick fix!
Old 07-26-2016, 09:41 PM   #6

Wow. Called HWH customer service and was told that the people who can help me verify which springs to order are backlogged with phone calls for TWO WEEKS, and they would take my name and number and call me in TWO WEEKS. I said, "Are you serious? Do you have, like, a thousand people to call back?" She said, "Actually the number is about 600."

Eventually, she asked me if I knew exactly what I was wanting to order. I told her I had followed the instructions on the HWH website to count the number of coils and looked up what I thought was the correct replacement, but I wanted to be sure. For example, since I have the old springs, is it the same number of coils as the new springs? The answer is yes - no matter whether you are replacing old or new springs, the number of coils is the same.

Finally, she said if I placed the order for what I thought was the right part, someone would call me the same day to get my credit card info, and they would also be able to verify I was ordering the correct springs for my jack.

Placed the order online (a rather bizarre online order form, no prices shown yet)...we'll see how it goes from here...
Old 07-26-2016, 09:54 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Springs.
Lube and clean.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 12:33 AM   #8

Jimmy, off subject, you a nuke? RP?
Old 07-27-2016, 06:34 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Had the same problem - The piston unscrewed from the cylinder - I took off the cylinder - took it apart cleaned and thread locked the piston in place - been working fine. Not a hard fix but it is heavy and messy.
2012 Jeep Liberty
docsdock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 09:36 AM   #10

Placed the order for new springs last night, got a call back this morning.

Good thing because I had ordered the wrong springs. Followed the instructions on the spring spare parts page to determine the correct springs by counting the coils. Triple-checked my count and came up with the spring part number. The HWH rep said, based on my jack p/n, it was the wrong spring. Should have looked up the jack exploded parts diagram and picked the spring part number from there instead. I asked her why they didn't just list the jack p/n next to the spring p/n instead of having customers count the coils, and she said they had so many customers in the past that couldn't locate the jack p/n that they figured it was easier just to count coils...

Anyway, my new set of springs is in stock, $24 for the pair plus FedEx ground, should be here in a couple days.

Also, I'll be driving right by the HWH plant on my trip next month. They said if I need service, just call the main number one day ahead and ask for Ashley - she is the service coordinator - and they will be able to service my rig upon arrival the next day.
Old 07-27-2016, 12:20 PM   #11

Thanks for the write up! I have the same issue, and in looking, one side has a taper ended type spring (this one pulls up every time) and the one with issues has straight coils, no taper at the ends. Just ordered as well and time will tell.

The normally frozen tundra of the Thousand Islands area in NY.
bigjim1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 10:18 PM   #12

Also, noticed today, that if I am patient enough, the RR jack does eventually lift on its own. Might take 10 minutes, but it'll get there eventually. Still gonna swap those springs.
Old 07-29-2016, 05:32 AM   #13

We are not so lucky. It can sit for days.

The normally frozen tundra of the Thousand Islands area in NY.
bigjim1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 03:47 AM   #14

When all else fails.

Had a rear jack stuck down. Nothing we did brought it up. It was cocked sideways with a lot of force, RV shifted or the ground sunk. Prying with a 2 by didn't help. Released the solenoid, still no change. At the bottom of the outside cylinder is a small plug. This will release the cylinder pressure. Carefully loosen this plug as a last resort. The oil will come out under a lot of pressure, and the jack will forcefully snap up. Be extremely careful if you have to do this to raise the jack.

Tags
leveling